NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Default Need Population Report on....

Posted By: Brad

I see this forum is primarily for older cards. However, can anyone direct me to a forum that discusses newer cards? I simply needed a Population report on Hunter Pence 2006 Bowman Chrome Prospects #BC129 PSA-10's in existence. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 04-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

You need to log in to PSA's site and find their pop reports. I don't think a forum would know that.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

You need a subscription to PSA's population report which is 5 bucks for a month. I looked up the card you mentioned and I believe there are 6 10's

Jay Kaplan

Old 04-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Jay..... does anyone really "need" that report?

Old 04-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

You don't need a Pop report to tell you that there are 1,263,765 "potential" PSA 10's of that shiny card still out there waiting to be graded...

but nobody would spend $15 to slab a $.05 card.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

do a search for the beckett board to discuss modern cards. try the psa board if you want a pop.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Administrator

No one one needs the report but someone asked and it took just a second. I agree with everything Frank and Hal said and sorry if I offended anyone.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

You didn't offend me, and I hope I didn't offend you.

I was just trying to make a serious point to the initial poster about the irrelevance of a Pop Report for modern cards.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Administrator

So Hal and I are unapologetically offensive... I'm ok with that. Good company.

My "need" post was two-fold. In collecting the white border set, I have 512 different, and a few 'extras'. In seeking to get to 520, I used to think I needed 8 more. That's not how to use the word need... I lack 8. I want 8. I don't truly need them.

Secondly, I think folks would be fine if they abandoned these reports. They don't report how many cards of a certain grade are out there, for some cards aren't graded. They don't report how many graded cards are out there, 'cause some cards have been broken out or broken out and regraded. Folks with a really nice Cobb green portrait are more likely to get him graded than someone with Ed Hahn in rough shape. I think the population reports are skewed toward the cards of name players, and skewed toward lower grades (because lower grades have a shot at getting resubmitted or broken out). So I have no need for population reports for really old cards, and absolutely no need for such reports on new cards.

What I "need" is for Florida to lose (sorry Hal) so that Billy D can return to Lexington, Kentucky, this time as head coach. He doesn't have any business being at a football school in the first place. Send him back a little ways north, please sir.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

Your Hunter Pence in a 10 is infinitely more common than in a 1.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Thank you, Darren!!!

That's what I'm talking about!

Old 04-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

Relax fellas. I was simply asking a question out of curiousity. I'm not a "shiny card guy". I much would rather have my '77 Topps Bake McBride. Again I was just curious!

Old 04-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Bake, who scored from first on a wild pickoff throw at Shea for a 2-1 Cards win in a 20+ inning game... Bake's pretty shiny.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

he should be tarred and feathered... a blasted shiny lover!

pete in mn

Old 04-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Pelaez

When I reentered baseball card collecting, my first baseball cards were pages of the Fernando Valenzuela rookie cards in 1982. ... which I still have.
I eventually worked my way back to the cards that I use to flip in 1941, and continued to go back further.
I'm sure that Frank and others will agree, there's nothing wrong with the newer stuff, you start where you start.
Being that you found us, you know where we are.
Don't let the groans and the moans get to you.
Some of us are set in our ways.

As for Jay, If I'm not mistaken, I believe I had the pleasure of meeting him.
I say believe, because the memory is either the first, or second thing to go.
It was at one of the tables that I sat at - at the Chantilly show. ... I believe it was at Cy's table.
The young man has a good eye, and knows what he's looking for.
I was impressed.
Jay, if you're not that person, please correct me.

Now you boy's know how I feel about certain things on this board.

If Jay says that he had a pop list handy, and it only took seconds to give Brad his answer. .. that's all that is was.
If we were poppies, we would have done the same thing. .. I think. .... no crime - no time.

I rest my case.
Joe

Edited to add:
GO GEORGETOWN!

Old 04-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

CARD NONAMEVARIETYPSA 8/ PSA9/ PSA 10/ TOTAL
BC129 HUNTER PENCE PROSPECTS-GOLD REFRACTOR0 /2/ 0/ 2
BC129 HUNTER PENCE PROSPECTS 0/ 0 /6/ 6
BC129 HUNTER PENCE PROSPECTS-XFRACTOR 0/ 0/ 1/ 1
BC129 HUNTER PENCE PROSPECTS-BLUE REFRACTOR 0/ 3 /2 /5
BC129 HUNTER PENCE PROSPECTS-REFRACTOR 0/ 1/ 2 /3
BC129 HUNTER PENCE PROSPECTS-ORANGE REF. 0/ 1 /0/ 1

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 04-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

No offense intended to anyone . . . but who is Hunter Pence? Baseball, football, baskeball, hockey, golf, American Idol?

Old 04-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

To outward appearances, Hunter Pence may look like a big gangly kid. While he's ranked with a few of the touts, none of the scouts or contacts in-the-know in the Astros organization generated much of the needed buzz that gets players the good FAB50 mojo. Then we got an earful from the Lexington Legends, where Pence spent a good chunk of 2005. We checked again, and we heard enough buzz to fill a hive.

Pence is one of those guys that is really very gifted, but seems to blend in to the crowd well. When we asked around again we heard comments like "Oh, yeah! Pence. Great hitter. I didn't think about him."

There should be moment to give Pence pause. He was the Astros top draft pick, going in the 2nd round of the 2004 Draft (64th OA). He has a swing that's been called "ungainly" by scouts with whom we spoke. He chokes up on the bat too much for a the average big guy. Then again, there may be little average about Pence.

Originally drafted out of high school by the Milwaukee Brewers in the lower rounds (40th/1189OA), Pence elected to go to the University of Texas at Arlington.

He went .395 for UT Arlington and won the Southland Conference batting title. That was the report that interested the Astros enough to take him as a surprising first draft pick.

He was assigned to Tri-City in the New York-Penn League after the draft. He batted .296 with a slugging percentage of .518.

Pence was assigned to the Lexington Legends in the South Atlantic League where he had a breakout season start. Through July 26th, he had a .338 average and an impressive .652 slugging percentage. He hit 14 doubles, three triples, and 25 home runs, with 60 RBIs. He was the home run leader in the SAL until he was promoted to the Salem Avalanche.

With just a few weeks with the High-A Carolina League Avalanche, his numbers reflect adjustment, but are still quite good: .267/.440 put him second overall in performance on the club's roster. He has no errors, a good thing in the error-prone Class-A levels.

Some had predicted, after his performance with the Legends, that he might jump to the Hooks, but the more prudent track was used to give him some growing time.

We understand that he takes instruction well, and that some of his boyish looks and choked up batting may actually help him with pitchers who haven't found out about his hand speed.

On the D side, he has reasonable speed, but he still is having some challeges at reading the ball to make big plays. He was playing center field in short season. A scout who saw him in the NY-Penn league said that he'd be better off in right or left, that he lacks the agility of a major league center fielder.

We were also unable to get a clear read on the organizational sentiment about him post-recruitment. We would assume, given his high draft, that he's someone to watch. He seems to be pushing himself along faster into the spotlight than many had anticipated.

MLN's editors like him to continue his movement through the system. We see him at Class AA with Corpus Christi in the Texas League in 2006. Depending upon the type of year that he had there, he might be able to accelerate into Round Rock or even get a cup of coffee in Houston by some time next season. We don't see permanent opportunities for him to advance into the Astros lineup until 2007, unless he goes on another home run tear.

http://www.minorleaguenews.com/baseball/features/articles2005/08/15/43.html

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 04-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Thanks Joe for the complement. Nice to meet you at Chantilly

Jay

Old 04-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Pelaez

Keep doing what works for you.

Dig into the T206 set, read all you can about it, and LET THE SET HAPPEN.

Lots of luck.
Joe

Old 04-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

David, thanks for the info.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Frank- Bake Mcbride scored that run in the 25th inning! I remember watching that whole game, well into the middle of the night.