NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-12-2019, 10:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default The vault (and other things) in Atlantic Magazine

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-weird/598345/

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:39 AM
Val Kehl

Peter, thanks for this interesting read, which came across to me as somewhat of an infomercial for PSA.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:53 AM
je.sse @rnot

2700 distinct rookie cards for Ohtani. I obviously knew modern players had a lot of different rookie cards, more than I can keep straight. But I never would have guessed that many.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
2700 distinct rookie cards for Ohtani. I obviously knew modern players had a lot of different rookie cards, more than I can keep straight. But I never would have guessed that many.
Jesse, you can start a master set.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:03 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
The one I own is the valuable one.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:31 PM
Jeff

Quote:
I only have 2700 to go.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 10-12-2019, 12:57 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

This is mostly a history on sports cards. There are so many articles like this online - boringggg. The author also briefly mentions the vault at the end and that's it. The only section that stood out was this:

The market for the new hit cards has been fueled by a new generation of young buyers. At Manhattan’s Midtown Sports Card Show, I met Sharon Chiong, half of a two-woman partnership called BlackJadedWolf. Chiong is a high-end broker-dealer and card-buying consultant with a network of clients around the world. Born in Manila and raised in Queens, Chiong collected basketball cards as a fan during the last boom but came to cards as a profession only after leaving the diamond trade. “I went from one luxury business to another,” she told me. The day I met her, she had $1 million worth of inventory listed on eBay.

Chiong’s typical buyer is a Wall Street guy in his 30s or 40s who loved cards as a kid, drifted away after the bust, and returned in recent years with money to spend. Some collect anew the cards that had filled childhood closets, only now they are seeking ones in Gem Mint 10 condition; others are drawn by the limited-edition-hit craze. Lately, Chiong has seen an uptick in slightly less affluent clients looking to invest four- or five-figure sums made from flipping other nontraditional assets, such as Bitcoin or limited-edition sneakers.

So two women started a card company and are high-end broker-dealers who have a network of clients from around the world, and a typical buyer for them is a Wall Street guy? How come I have never heard of them before? Weird.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
This is mostly a history on sports cards. There are so many articles like this online - boringggg. The author also briefly mentions the vault at the end and that's it. The only section that stood out was this:

The market for the new hit cards has been fueled by a new generation of young buyers. At Manhattan’s Midtown Sports Card Show, I met Sharon Chiong, half of a two-woman partnership called BlackJadedWolf. Chiong is a high-end broker-dealer and card-buying consultant with a network of clients around the world. Born in Manila and raised in Queens, Chiong collected basketball cards as a fan during the last boom but came to cards as a profession only after leaving the diamond trade. “I went from one luxury business to another,” she told me. The day I met her, she had $1 million worth of inventory listed on eBay.

Chiong’s typical buyer is a Wall Street guy in his 30s or 40s who loved cards as a kid, drifted away after the bust, and returned in recent years with money to spend. Some collect anew the cards that had filled childhood closets, only now they are seeking ones in Gem Mint 10 condition; others are drawn by the limited-edition-hit craze. Lately, Chiong has seen an uptick in slightly less affluent clients looking to invest four- or five-figure sums made from flipping other nontraditional assets, such as Bitcoin or limited-edition sneakers.

So two women started a card company and are high-end broker-dealers who have a network of clients from around the world, and a typical buyer for them is a Wall Street guy? How come I have never heard of them before? Weird.

They do have a website with priced inventory and they have a calendar to let you know where they are going. Both of these sections raise a question.

All their inventory is priced 5 cents less than a round number. Does a price of $999.95 appeal to a buyer who would not pony up $1000 even???

According to their calendar, they haven't been anywhere in the last three months and have no scheduled upcoming trips for the rest of this year. If you want to meet with them in 2019, I guess this means that Manhattan is your only option.
I would suggest calling first though to make sure they are still there.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:41 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
... So two women started a card company and are high-end broker-dealers who have a network of clients from around the world, and a typical buyer for them is a Wall Street guy? How come I have never heard of them before? Weird.
I've also not heard of either of these women. But, then again, I'm not a deep-pocketed Wall Street guy!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:41 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Holy cow, anyone see the altered Bobby Hull RC PSA 8 $60,000 value gain that's sitting in PWCCs Vault? Just surfaced on Blowout....
Old 10-12-2019, 03:00 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULLINS5 View Post
Holy cow, anyone see the altered Bobby Hull RC PSA 8 $60,000 value gain that's sitting in PWCCs Vault? Just surfaced on Blowout....
Are you sure this HULL card is in the vault?
Old 10-12-2019, 03:13 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Yeah, I can't get the image over here but Superdan posted it on Blowout
Old 10-12-2019, 03:29 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Just curious...

What’s that Hull card worth, if it properly resides in an “A” graded slab?
Old 10-12-2019, 03:45 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Just curious...

What’s that Hull card worth, if it properly resides in an “A” graded slab?
Centering on that card brings a massive premium. My best educated guess in an A holder is $4,000
Old 10-12-2019, 04:09 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

A PSA 6 sold for $3K last month. You think an Auth Altered (which likely caused the centering) would still rate more for a card that fits in the Registry tied with a PSA 1 POOR?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:18 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
A PSA 6 sold for $3K last month. You think an Auth Altered (which likely caused the centering) would still rate more for a card that fits in the Registry tied with a PSA 1 POOR?
If that's the case then nope!
Old 10-12-2019, 04:41 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
They do have a website with priced inventory and they have a calendar to let you know where they are going. Both of these sections raise a question.

All their inventory is priced 5 cents less than a round number. Does a price of $999.95 appeal to a buyer who would not pony up $1000 even???

According to their calendar, they haven't been anywhere in the last three months and have no scheduled upcoming trips for the rest of this year. If you want to meet with them in 2019, I guess this means that Manhattan is your only option.
I would suggest calling first though to make sure they are still there.

they are very much still around, occupying a few tables at the white plains, ny show among other shows.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:26 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Jesse, you can start a master set.
I couldn't even give a reasonable estimate as to what that would run. Especially if some of the 1 of 1s have already went for over 6 figures.

His cards already seem to have a HOF future priced in. Not sure how much upside could be left. Plenty of risk though.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I couldn't even give a reasonable estimate as to what that would run. Especially if some of the 1 of 1s have already went for over 6 figures.

His cards already seem to have a HOF future priced in. Not sure how much upside could be left. Plenty of risk though.
He seems nothing like a HOFer so far.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:17 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
He seems nothing like a HOFer so far.
Agreed. But his cards are selling at prices that even a career that just barely qualified for the HOF might not hold up long term. In my opinion. Of course if he is the next Babe Ruth they could look like a bargain. I am not betting on this happening.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Agreed. But his cards are selling at prices that even a career that just barely qualified for the HOF might not hold up long term. In my opinion. Of course if he is the next Babe Ruth they could look like a bargain. I am not betting on this happening.
He's 24 with a history of injuries and 200 hits to his name. Uh, no thank you.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:30 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
He's 24 with a history of injuries and 200 hits to his name. Uh, no thank you.
We are in agreement. I don't own any of his cards.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:36 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:

From one diamond to another. Seems like a natural progression to me.