NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-01-2019, 04:03 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default What the Tax????!!!!!

I know this topic has been covered in different ways before, but this seems like a brand new development. In looking around to try to find cards to spend my ebay bucks on in a couple of days, I decided to start piling things into my cart to see which would have taxes added to the total. Well, in short, it didn't matter what state the item came from, I was getting hammered with taxes right across the board. I didn't put cards from all 50 states into my cart, but every single state I looked at (perhaps 10 different?) had taxes added on. I know the usual people will jump in to chime, "You are always supposed to pay a use tax!" (or whatever), but what I want to know is did ebay start adding taxes to all purchases??? I bought 4 or 5 things this past week and none had taxes attached. It is now October first, so am I right to assume that has something to do with it??? God, that new fee will basically wipe out the entirety of my ebay bucks, so I won't be getting a bargain in any way, shape or form. Ugh.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:12 PM
Jim B.

Fee-bay is no longer the wild west anymore. The money grab for Massachusetts started today - I won a card for $660 last night on ebay and had a nice $42 sales tax addition!!!
Old 10-01-2019, 04:14 PM
Jason Wells

Sellers, at least on the very small level I do from time to time have the option to choice not to collect tax. I am not sure what the ramifications are to that if any though.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:29 PM
Al Richter

I think almost all states have now updated their laws to take advantage of last year's South Dakota v Wayfair decision allowing them to apply sales taxes to catalog and on line out of state retailers and sellers. Texas passed the legislation effective 10-1 this year. I think I read that of the states with sales taxes only Florida and Missouri have not updated their laws. So I assume sales taxes will now apply to almost all eBay purchases. Others may have better info.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:37 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

It depends on the state *YOU* live in, not which state the seller is in. So if your state recently became a use-tax collecting state, you're paying the tax, no matter where the seller is. Why do you think Brent spent so much money to build vaults in a state with no sales tax?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:49 PM

I got an email from ebay today. They are up to 34 states that they are collecting taxes for.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:16 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Blame the Supreme Court. We, as internet buyers knew it was only a matter of time..
Old 10-01-2019, 05:44 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Fortunately eBay is addressing the concern of their bidders.

Going forward the eBay Bucks program will be discontinued, but it is being replaced by their new eBay Tax Bucks program.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:02 PM
John Wondowski

Yup - just another reason to use the BST and unlawfully dodge taxes. I am one of those people to which you refer. However, please feel free to rant and rail against those who defraud by trimming / altering cards and stealing from the "collector".

Last edited by wondo; 10-01-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
It depends on the state *YOU* live in, not which state the seller is in. So if your state recently became a use-tax collecting state, you're paying the tax, no matter where the seller is. Why do you think Brent spent so much money to build vaults in a state with no sales tax?
This
Old 10-01-2019, 06:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

I had not expected Massachusetts to start today. It wasn't on the list, or maybe I missed it? Damn. I need a Vault account now.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-01-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:53 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I had not expected Massachusetts to start today. It wasn't on the list, or maybe I missed it? Damn. I need a Vault account now.
I believe you can set it up online 24/7.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I believe you can set it up online 24/7.
And now, I can have my cards ingested.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:14 PM
Bill T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
It is now October first, so am I right to assume that has something to do with it???
You are correct, Darren. Quite a few states passed legislation in their spring sessions that took effect today (10/1). A few others updated their sales and use tax regulations to reflect Wayfair. A couple (sorry, I don't have the details in front of me) failed to include de minimis clauses, so all remote sales in those states are supposed to have tax collected.

Here in MD, the law addresses "marketplace facilitators" (e.g., eBay, Etsy), allowing them to collect and remit the sales tax on behalf of the seller.

Bill
Old 10-01-2019, 08:14 PM
Albert Bee

Default tax

Yea, its annoying. but I guess it is what it is nowadays

reminds me of years back...buying a card at a show....and there was always one dealer who would hit you with...." and a dollar fifty more for Uncle Sam please ! "
Old 10-01-2019, 09:11 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Here's the eMail that ebay sent out today. You would think that they would send it our prior to the day they started collecting the tax.

As you may be aware, 11 new states have adopted Internet Sales Tax policies as of October 1, bringing the total to 34 states that now require the collection of sales tax. As the impact of this tax law becomes more apparent, PayPal and eBay are making changes that will make Internet Sales Tax collection less complex for buyers and for you.

Starting in November 2019, the way taxable transactions are processed and how taxes are collected for remittance will change, as follows:
• In states where eBay is required to collect Internet Sales Tax from buyers, order totals sent for processing will reflect the gross order amount inclusive of tax.
• Once settled, the tax amount will be automatically deducted for remittance to the applicable taxing authority.
• A record of the sales tax portion of the order will be available on the Seller Hub Order details page and through our Download order report.
Please note the applicable tax will continue to be paid by the buyer and you do not need to take any action.

We understand that the holiday selling season is nearly upon us and we are working to make this transition as smooth as possible.

Learn more about Internet Sales Tax in the eBay Seller Center. If you have questions about how Internet Sales Tax may affect you, we recommend consulting with your tax advisor, or our partners Avalara and TaxJar.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.
Sincerely,
eBay Team

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 10-01-2019, 09:46 PM
James
James Kin.chen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Here is the list from eBay showing when they start taxing each state.

State

Effective Date

Additional Information

Alabama

July 1, 2019

Alabama

The State of Alabama has a program for simplified sellers use tax (SSUT) under Statute § 40-23-192. eBay has collected simplified sellers use tax on taxable transactions delivered into Alabama and the tax of flat eight percent (8%) will be remitted on the customer's behalf to the Alabama Department of Revenue.

eBay Inc. – SSUT Account Number: SSU-R010250382

Arizona

October 1, 2019

Arizona

Arkansas

July 1, 2019

Arkansas

California

October 1, 2019

Please contact the Department of Tax and Fee Administration for further information.
In addition to the sales tax collect and remit requirement, eBay is required by California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA), to collect and remit the Electronic Waste Recycling (eWaste) Fee. The eWaste Fee is a fee imposed on the retail sale or lease of certain electronic products that have been identified by the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC). Additional information on the eWaste fee can be found on CDTFA's website.

Please note, the fee will be included with the applicable taxes.

Colorado

October 1, 2019

Colorado

Connecticut

April 1, 2019

Connecticut

eBay Inc. is registered with DRS to collect Connecticut sales tax and will collect sales tax on all taxable Connecticut sales facilitated on our site.

District of Columbia

May 1, 2019

District of Columbia

Hawaii

January 1, 2020

Please contact the Hawaii Department of Taxation for further information.

Idaho

June 1, 2019

Idaho

Illinois

January 1, 2020

Illinois

Indiana

July 1, 2019

Please contact the Department of Revenue for further information.

Iowa

February 1, 2019

Iowa

Kentucky

July 1, 2019

Kentucky

Maine

October 1, 2019

Please contact the Maine Revenue Services for further information.

Maryland

October 1, 2019

Please contact the Comptroller of Maryland for further information.

Massachusetts

October 1, 2019

Please contact the Massachusetts for further information.

Minnesota

January 1, 2019

Minnesota

Small business exemption - Minnesota has enacted a small business exemption for out of state unregistered sellers whose taxable retail sales into Minnesota are less than $10,000 in the previous 12-month period. These sellers are not subject to the Minnesota marketplace tax laws, and eBay will not be collecting sales tax on these transactions.

Nebraska

May 1, 2019

Nebraska

Nevada

October 1, 2019

Please contact the Nevada Department of Taxation for further information.

New Jersey

May 1, 2019

New Jersey

New Mexico

July 1, 2019

Please contact the Taxation and Revenue Department for further information.

New York

June 1, 2019

New York

eBay Inc. is a registered New York State sales tax vendor and will collect sales tax on all taxable sales of tangible personal property that it facilitates for delivery to a New York State address.

North Dakota

October 1, 2019

Please contact the Office of State Tax Commissioner for further information.

Ohio

September 1, 2019

Please contact the Ohio Department of Taxation for further information.

Oklahoma

July 1, 2019

Oklahoma

Pennsylvania

July 1, 2019

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

July 1, 2019

Rhode Island

South Carolina

October 1, 2019

South Carolina

South Dakota

July 1, 2019

South Dakota

Texas

October 1, 2019

Please contact the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts for further information.

Utah

October 1, 2019

Please contact the State Tax Commission for further information.

Vermont

July 1, 2019

Vermont

Virginia

July 1, 2019

Virginia

Washington

January 1, 2019

Washington

West Virginia

July 1, 2019

West Virginia

Wisconsin

January 1, 2020

Wisconsin

Wyoming

July 1, 2019

Wyoming
Old 10-02-2019, 02:28 AM
Martin
Martin L.ee

It’s good to be an Oregonian. I will be offering my own vault transfer service should you need a middleman
Old 10-02-2019, 02:33 AM
Martin
Martin L.ee

On a serious note. This should be a reminder that Net54 has a strong network of collectors who can do business together. Recruit the masses and leave eBay..
Old 10-02-2019, 04:39 AM
Lonnie Nagel

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.
Sincerely,
eBay Team
Old 10-02-2019, 04:52 AM
Mi.ke Que.vill.on

Default Tax affects Canadian sellers too...

I was surprised to find out yesterday that items I am selling from Canada into the U.S. have sales tax applied as well depending on the state.

I read the fine print and eBay states that it doesn't matter where in the world that the item is coming from, it matters what state it is being sold into.

The tax shows on my invoice but I will not receive it, eBay or Paypal will deduct it from my payment and send to the appropriate state.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:45 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
Here is the list from eBay showing when they start taxing each state.

State

Effective Date

Additional Information

Alabama

July 1, 2019

Alabama

The State of Alabama has a program for simplified sellers use tax (SSUT) under Statute § 40-23-192. eBay has collected simplified sellers use tax on taxable transactions delivered into Alabama and the tax of flat eight percent (8%) will be remitted on the customer's behalf to the Alabama Department of Revenue.

eBay Inc. – SSUT Account Number: SSU-R010250382

Arizona

October 1, 2019

Arizona

Arkansas

July 1, 2019

Arkansas

California

October 1, 2019

Please contact the Department of Tax and Fee Administration for further information.
In addition to the sales tax collect and remit requirement, eBay is required by California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA), to collect and remit the Electronic Waste Recycling (eWaste) Fee. The eWaste Fee is a fee imposed on the retail sale or lease of certain electronic products that have been identified by the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC). Additional information on the eWaste fee can be found on CDTFA's website.

Please note, the fee will be included with the applicable taxes.

Colorado

October 1, 2019

Colorado

Connecticut

April 1, 2019

Connecticut

eBay Inc. is registered with DRS to collect Connecticut sales tax and will collect sales tax on all taxable Connecticut sales facilitated on our site.

District of Columbia

May 1, 2019

District of Columbia

Hawaii

January 1, 2020

Please contact the Hawaii Department of Taxation for further information.

Idaho

June 1, 2019

Idaho

Illinois

January 1, 2020

Illinois

Indiana

July 1, 2019

Please contact the Department of Revenue for further information.

Iowa

February 1, 2019

Iowa

Kentucky

July 1, 2019

Kentucky

Maine

October 1, 2019

Please contact the Maine Revenue Services for further information.

Maryland

October 1, 2019

Please contact the Comptroller of Maryland for further information.

Massachusetts

October 1, 2019

Please contact the Massachusetts for further information.

Minnesota

January 1, 2019

Minnesota

Small business exemption - Minnesota has enacted a small business exemption for out of state unregistered sellers whose taxable retail sales into Minnesota are less than $10,000 in the previous 12-month period. These sellers are not subject to the Minnesota marketplace tax laws, and eBay will not be collecting sales tax on these transactions.

Nebraska

May 1, 2019

Nebraska

Nevada

October 1, 2019

Please contact the Nevada Department of Taxation for further information.

New Jersey

May 1, 2019

New Jersey

New Mexico

July 1, 2019

Please contact the Taxation and Revenue Department for further information.

New York

June 1, 2019

New York

eBay Inc. is a registered New York State sales tax vendor and will collect sales tax on all taxable sales of tangible personal property that it facilitates for delivery to a New York State address.

North Dakota

October 1, 2019

Please contact the Office of State Tax Commissioner for further information.

Ohio

September 1, 2019

Please contact the Ohio Department of Taxation for further information.

Oklahoma

July 1, 2019

Oklahoma

Pennsylvania

July 1, 2019

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

July 1, 2019

Rhode Island

South Carolina

October 1, 2019

South Carolina

South Dakota

July 1, 2019

South Dakota

Texas

October 1, 2019

Please contact the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts for further information.

Utah

October 1, 2019

Please contact the State Tax Commission for further information.

Vermont

July 1, 2019

Vermont

Virginia

July 1, 2019

Virginia

Washington

January 1, 2019

Washington

West Virginia

July 1, 2019

West Virginia

Wisconsin

January 1, 2020

Wisconsin

Wyoming

July 1, 2019

Wyoming
James, yeah, somehow I missed that. Sigh.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:59 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
Blame the Supreme Court. We, as internet buyers knew it was only a matter of time..
Misplaced blame. Talk to your CT reps. They are the ones taxing you. Not the SC.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:52 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

You can't blame eBay. They are just collecting the tax and passing it on to the local tax collectors.
Eventually, you will be paying taxes on all of your online purchases. Amazon is already collecting.
It's just a matter of time until the IRS comes down on the AH's and they will also be collecting from the buyer.

Just like death, shillers and card doctors, you can't avoid it.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 10-02-2019, 08:04 AM
Al Richter

Blame may be the wrong word. but the SC did sort of change their minds on the issue and it was that decision that left the states free to pursue these taxes
Old 10-02-2019, 08:10 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRuth View Post
Fee-bay is no longer the wild west anymore. The money grab for Massachusetts started today - I won a card for $660 last night on ebay and had a nice $42 sales tax addition!!!
Not to beat a dead horse, but wasn't the taxes on these cards already paid when they were manufactured in 1962 or whatever? So basically, every time an item is sold, it will be taxed, no matter how many times it's sold?
Old 10-02-2019, 09:09 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I'm pretty sure we all could list a hundred different reasons why this is bad. However, something positive will come out of this as well: first of all, we have all become like robots. Click-click-click - send message - click - send offer - click accept - click-click-click print shipping label. Some folks are too afraid to speak with me over the phone! People have become so comfortable in their own quiet digital world. Now this whole thing is going to make people get off their butts and pick up that phone. There will also be more coffee shop meetings, lunch meetings, and more transactions will be taking place in card shows. And finally, the BST board here (and all the other forums) will get better.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Who will ultimately pay for it is an open question. Will collectors just fork over more, or will they pay less calculating it as part of the final price like a buyer's premium? I certainly know dealers who worry it will suppress prices.

I just got an email from a merchant essentially saying they will make the customer whole for the tax. Of course, they may surreptitiously raise prices to offset their loss.

Dear Customer,

Everybody likes to save money! I am excited to share B&H’s new way to save you money.

Last year, the Supreme Court ruled that out-of-state retailers must collect sales tax on online sales. As a result, on October 4th, B&H will start collecting tax on shipments to Massachusetts, as required by state law. We have been working hard to develop a solution to eliminate the impact of this ruling on our customers.

Our solution is named Payboo! When you use the new B&H Payboo Credit Card*, you can save the equivalent of the tax — you pay the tax, and we pay you back instantly! Make any purchase at B&H with Payboo, and you will receive an instant reward equal to the sales tax you paid. And at B&H, instant means instant — no expiring points, credits, or coupons to worry about. It’s that simple. (B&H collects and remits state sales tax in accordance with state laws, so all required tax is collected and paid, and B&H issues the instant savings credit to you.)

Payboo is an exciting store credit card with, we believe, the most valuable benefit in the industry — the instant credit equal to the sales tax. As long as you pay your bill on time, you will not incur any interest or other costs. I invite you to apply today at www.BandH.com/payboo.

I know you have many choices where to buy creative tech gear, and I truly appreciate your business. With Payboo, I believe B&H will become an even clearer choice for all your technology needs.

I look forward to a continued great business relationship. Please remember, at B&H the customer always comes first. That’s why we’ve created Payboo to eliminate the impact of sales tax for you.

Please visit us today and start saving!

Thank you,

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-02-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:31 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

And why do you think a merchant would be willing to offer you such a tax reimbursement incentive attached to a credit card? I think we both know the answer has something to do with spending more and not paying the account in full right away.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 10-02-2019, 11:44 AM
Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Blame may be the wrong word. but the SC did sort of change their minds on the issue and it was that decision that left the states free to pursue these taxes
Correct. The Supreme Court did make the decision, which had been debated for some time. The public was caught up in daily politics drama news and missed this important ruling news.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:49 AM
Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
I'm pretty sure we all could list a hundred different reasons why this is bad. However, something positive will come out of this as well: first of all, we have all become like robots. Click-click-click - send message - click - send offer - click accept - click-click-click print shipping label. Some folks are too afraid to speak with me over the phone! People have become so comfortable in their own quiet digital world. Now this whole thing is going to make people get off their butts and pick up that phone. There will also be more coffee shop meetings, lunch meetings, and more transactions will be taking place in card shows. And finally, the BST board here (and all the other forums) will get better.
Definitely miss pre-ebay days. Shows at malls, local town hall, and sports dealer shops. Days when you could hang around and talk baseball.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:37 PM
James
James Kin.chen

Is it legal for eBay to tax shipping fees? I thought services couldn't be taxed.
James
Old 10-03-2019, 06:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Is it legal for eBay to tax shipping fees? I thought services couldn't be taxed.
James
They have +/- 8000 lawyers. If they are taxing it, it is most likely ok for them to do. Yes the taxes have started for Texas. This is actually the best thing in the world that could have happened to retail brick and mortar. They have been getting decimated for 2 decades not being on a level playing field. Back in around 1999-2000 it started to be an issue for me when I was in retail computer sales. Customers made me compete with no taxes and it sucked.

Last edited by Leon; 10-03-2019 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:57 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Fortunately eBay is addressing the concern of their bidders.

Going forward the eBay Bucks program will be discontinued, but it is being replaced by their new eBay Tax Bucks program.
Might as well. The taxes basically negate any savings bonus from eBay Bucks offers.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 10-03-2019, 07:24 AM
Tony Conte

Quote:
Who will ultimately pay for it is an open question.
Well on two of my sales, I got notes from the buyers saying they were sorry
and would have paid more but they had to account for 10% tax charge
to their purchase.
So for those it looks like, I paid for it!

Old 10-03-2019, 07:57 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Looks like 49 more Vaults need to be built for ingestion...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:33 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

indigestion...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-03-2019, 05:03 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
They have +/- 8000 lawyers. If they are taxing it, it is most likely ok for them to do. Yes the taxes have started for Texas. This is actually the best thing in the world that could have happened to retail brick and mortar. They have been getting decimated for 2 decades not being on a level playing field. Back in around 1999-2000 it started to be an issue for me when I was in retail computer sales. Customers made me compete with no taxes and it sucked.

As the owner of a store I agree with you. This is especially true with new packs and boxes of cards. They have a very slim profit margin. If someone can go to one of the big online retailers and buy a box for $200 with no tax and free shipping and I have to eat the $15 tax to compete - that may be the difference between making and losing money.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:34 PM
James
James Kin.chen

Quote:
James
Answer to my question.
James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tax.jpg (13.8 KB, 424 views)
Old 10-05-2019, 06:20 AM
Andy Sargent

Just received this email in Canada regarding this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191005-081845_Outlook.jpg (74.0 KB, 371 views)
Old 10-05-2019, 10:32 AM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconte View Post
Well on two of my sales, I got notes from the buyers saying they were sorry
and would have paid more but they had to account for 10% tax charge
to their purchase.
So for those it looks like, I paid for it!

I've had two $1000+ sales get canceled when they got the bill and saw the tax included.

both buyers thought I was charging them, had to explain to them that's it's eBay collecting and they're doing it for everyone.

I don't think there's any debate that this is ultimately bad for collectibles and will result in lower prices. or at least in the environment of the last couple years, it will slow the increases dramatically.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:34 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Good; it's time for a market correction.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:34 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Boots on the Ground Card Shows might start to Heat Up Again !

Last edited by Johnny630; 10-06-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:18 AM
John D.

Personally living in PA, I take the 6% into account when I buy on eBay the same way that I took the 20% or whatever into account when I bought from an auction house. I am fortunate to have a full year of great shows near me (White Plains and Philly) and generally buy at those shows, or from the BST (I am always broke for a month after a show anyway!). If anything, the eBay sales tax collection should make shows even better for dealers.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:30 AM
octavio ranzola

B.s.t never an issue
Old 10-06-2019, 07:06 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Card shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Boots on the Ground Card Shows might start to get Heat Up Again !
I set up at card shows. I have a Wisconsin sellers permit and I pay sales taxes on everything that I sell at shows. I don't charge the customers, so I effectively lose 5.5% on every sale at a show. This has been going on for years. Nothing new. The Wisconsin Department of Revenue has been known to show up at shows to check the dealers to see if they have a sellers permit.

I also pay Federal and State taxes on my net profit at the end of the year, along with around 15% for Medicare and Social Security. When I purchase a collection I have to get if for a really low price in order to make a profit.

Most of my fellow dealers don't have a permit and they don't pay taxes on their sales. That is why most dealers don't accept debit or credit cards, or PayPal or checks. They deal in cash so they can avoid taxes.

It is hard for me to believe that paying sales tax on a purchases is a big hardship for most buyers, and I wouldn't let 5% stop me from buying something for my collection. The people who are cancelling purchases because of the sales tax are flippers, and the 5% eats into their profit.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:21 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I set up at card shows. I have a Wisconsin sellers permit and I pay sales taxes on everything that I sell at shows. I don't charge the customers, so I effectively lose 5.5% on every sale at a show. This has been going on for years. Nothing new. The Wisconsin Department of Revenue has been known to show up at shows to check the dealers to see if they have a sellers permit.

I also pay Federal and State taxes on my net profit at the end of the year, along with around 15% for Medicare and Social Security. When I purchase a collection I have to get if for a really low price in order to make a profit.

Most of my fellow dealers don't have a permit and they don't pay taxes on their sales. That is why most dealers don't accept debit or credit cards, or PayPal or checks. They deal in cash so they can avoid taxes.

It is hard for me to believe that paying sales tax on a purchases is a big hardship for most buyers, and I wouldn't let 5% stop me from buying something for my collection. The people who are cancelling purchases because of the sales tax are flippers, and the 5% eats into their profit.

Rick
Agree Most People nowadays who Set up at shows do this for a living.... back in the 80’s and early 90’s many guys set up at shows had full time jobs, they were weekend warriors. I loved those days. I’d say collector dealers are now under 20% at the major shows vs %80 full time sellers/not collectors. eBay turned everyone into a dealer. Not everyone I’m exaggerating but you get my drift. It’s all about the money now not the cards. Has been for 20 plus years.
I hope shows become the new thing again....that will be cool! Lower prices on vintage have already started.

Last edited by Johnny630; 10-06-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:30 AM
je.sse @rnot

Sales tax is 9.25 out here. I am not a dealer or even much of a card flipper, but when you factor it in along with say 10% ebay fees and 3% for PayPal, or 16-20% for an auction house it makes a difference.

It's hard to find a card you can buy for 70-75% of it's current market value to quickly turn around and sell for a profit. At least for me. And then if I do I would probably just break even trying to sell it. Not worth the hassle.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:49 AM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post

Rick

Very well said, Rick. I sense that your level of personal integrity is much higher than that of most people.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

+1 Free and no hassles. Please be careful though as it is always caveat emptor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
B.s.t never an issue