NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-21-2018, 09:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I agree with this statement. I was thinking more about the creases and the argument I hear is that a crease could come back later. I can certainly understand that concern. But my reply to that is, if you can remove the crease the first time, just do it again.

But we could word the poll as you suggested. I just don't think the poll would be answered honestly. Julie wrote 32 years ago she's fine with a crease being removed. Lew even said that he thought most of the card community would agree. Where did he get this assumption? By talking to / surveying collectors. So, what's changed in the last 32 years that it was acceptable then, but not now?
I can't speak for Julie or Lew, but I have been collecting as an adult for nearly that long and have always felt that taking out creases was unacceptable and I believe most of the people I have known feel the same way.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:22 PM
Steven

I would guess the only item that is debatable is the soaking with water to remove things/items that were not originally on the card. All other "improvements" would not be acceptable.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:06 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I can't speak for Julie or Lew, but I have been collecting as an adult for nearly that long and have always felt that taking out creases was unacceptable and I believe most of the people I have known feel the same way.
If you read the thread that John linked in post #94, Dick Towelle thanked the 15 new Net54 members that used his service. I infer new as to mean there were other previous Net54 members that have used his service as well. Spooning out a crease was acceptable by most 32 years ago, it's acceptable by most today. Here's the problem. With social media/message boards, everyone wants to brag how moral and upstanding they are to make themselves look good, so most won't admit to it. That's why I said your poll wouldn't have honest results.

Heck, here's a thread where Dan McKee admits to spooning out creases. It's a very interesting read. Oh, and wait for it...the most overused Net54 term..."Dan's a good guy." Sure, it says so in post #29. It's right there in black and white, you can read it for yourself. My point is that it happens a lot, most people just don't admit it. At least Dan admitted it...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ght=Green+cobb

Dick Towelle got banned for removing creases.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:00 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
If you read the thread that John linked in post #94, Dick Towelle thanked the 15 new Net54 members that used his service. I infer new as to mean there were other previous Net54 members that have used his service as well. Spooning out a crease was acceptable by most 32 years ago, it's acceptable by most today. Here's the problem. With social media/message boards, everyone wants to brag how moral and upstanding they are to make themselves look good, so most won't admit to it. That's why I said your poll wouldn't have honest results.

Heck, here's a thread where Dan McKee admits to spooning out creases. It's a very interesting read. Oh, and wait for it...the most overused Net54 term..."Dan's a good guy." Sure, it says so in post #29. It's right there in black and white, you can read it for yourself. My point is that it happens a lot, most people just don't admit it. At least Dan admitted it...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ght=Green+cobb

Dick Towelle got banned for removing creases.
Plus everyone touts they buy the card not holder. but they always sell the holder not the card if they asking for more than what the card would go for if 'fairly graded'

Still this type of thread is done over and over. This thread and 'card values are falling' and 'what cards are the best value to buy now' type threads........

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 01-22-2018 at 11:33 AM.