NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-27-2015, 09:06 AM
Justin Burleson

Default 1939 Play Ball Complete Set Group Break ~ SOLD OUT

I am happy to offer a '39 Play Ball Complete Set group break for $34.99 per slot. For today, slot purchases will be limited to 1 per person. Tomorrow, you can purchase as many slots as you desire. Shipping is $3. Overall, this set is 33% EX to EX/MT, 67% VG to VG/EX. Check it out for specific rules/scans/condition info. http://burlssports.com/product/1939-...t-group-break/

Also, I will be giving away 1 slot in the break--details will be posted Sunday evening on my Facebook page.

Several auctions up on eBay, if you're interested in that sort of thing. 33-38 Goudeys PSA and SGC, some 50's PSA cards, and high-grade '86 Fleer basketball. '58 Mantle, '52 Bowman Mays, '38 Goudey Feller, '53 Topps Mays, '52 Topps Reese, and more. Link to auctions

PayPal, Check, MO are all accepted.

In the interest of full disclosure, I did pay a fee to place this post in the main forum.

Let me know if you have any questions via PM or at burl@burlssports.com

Thanks,
Burl (Justin Burleson)

Last edited by jburl; 11-30-2015 at 08:33 AM. Reason: update quantity remaining
Old 11-27-2015, 09:45 AM
Darrell

I'm in! Thanks Justin.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:12 AM
James
James Kin.chen

I won a 1954 Ernie Banks rookie in one of Justin's set breaks a year or so ago. Good luck to anyone that joins in.
James
Old 11-27-2015, 01:12 PM
Danny Smith

Got one spot! Love these!
Old 11-27-2015, 03:33 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Love the breaks...have a nice DiMaggio, so I'll pass on this one but will be in again in the future.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:46 PM
Bret

Got my spot as I love the vintage breaks!
Old 11-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Darrell

Grabbed another spot with a discount and free shipping.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:44 PM
Justin Burleson

Thanks to everyone who has bought in so far! Down to 20 slots, so if you were waiting to get in, it's probably the right time!

Thanks again,
Justin (Burl) Burleson
Old 11-29-2015, 02:29 PM
Danny Smith

Assuming this sells out today (I just bought another - 15 left!) when do you think this will go down?
Old 11-29-2015, 02:41 PM
Justin Burleson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Smith View Post
Assuming this sells out today (I just bought another - 15 left!) when do you think this will go down?
I have one new buyer who paid by check. Assuming he doesn't decide to send paypal payment, likely Wednesday. If he paid via paypal, then it would happen next day.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2015, 12:08 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

I'm not singling out this particular seller/host, but I'm wondering if these group breaks would, by definition, constitute a lottery, which would be illegal per Federal law:

12 USCS § 25a , "lottery" includes any arrangement whereby three or more persons (the "participants") advance money or credit to another in exchange for the possibility or expectation that one or more but not all of the participants (the "winners") will receive by reason of their advances more than the amounts they have advanced, the identity of the winners being determined by any means which includes--

(A) a random selection;

(B) a game, race, or contest; or

(C) any record or tabulation of the result of one or more events in which any participant has no interest except for its bearing upon the possibility that he may become a winner.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW1 View Post
I'm not singling out this particular seller/host, but I'm wondering if these group breaks would, by definition, constitute a lottery, which would be illegal per Federal law:

12 USCS § 25a , "lottery" includes any arrangement whereby three or more persons (the "participants") advance money or credit to another in exchange for the possibility or expectation that one or more but not all of the participants (the "winners") will receive by reason of their advances more than the amounts they have advanced, the identity of the winners being determined by any means which includes--

(A) a random selection;

(B) a game, race, or contest; or

(C) any record or tabulation of the result of one or more events in which any participant has no interest except for its bearing upon the possibility that he may become a winner.
This has been hashed out. Everyone (All) gets something (a card with value) so it's not really gambling....

I should also add, what is being done could very technically be against some law somehow I guess, but I don't think there are many victims coming forward. But technically, I guess it's conceivable it isn't legal. I am not a lawyer. (obviously)

Last edited by Leon; 11-30-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:01 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
This has been hashed out. Everyone (All) gets something (a card with value) so it's not really gambling....

I should also add, what is being done could very technically be against some law somehow I guess, but I don't think there are many victims coming forward. But technically, I guess it's conceivable it isn't legal. I am not a lawyer. (obviously)
I think it also implies direct money, a card is only worth what someone will pay for it and each card is unique as to centering and other characteristics. There has been some dealings about the implied secondary card market in value purposes but in this instance who knows

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 11-30-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:47 PM
Justin Burleson

I can see the cause for concern, but I'm very comfortable with it for the following reasons, although I'm certainly not an attorney.
1. Everyone is guaranteed to get a card from the set.
2. The value of that card is ascribed by a secondary market.
3. Given 1 and 2, it's not much different than what card companies do when they create a product - some cards are more desirable, and therefore "worth" more on the secondary market. The difference is that I'm not creating the product; I'm outsourcing it from several decades ago.
4. I give away one slot in every break. (P.S. details on this giveaway here)

Thanks for asking, and as Leon pointed out, I think it has been hashed out in other places as well.

On a separate note, the break is sold out and scheduled to broadcast on Wednesday afternoon at 4:45 PM CST. Link to the break broadcast page is here.

Thanks again,
Justin (Burl) Burleson

Last edited by jburl; 11-30-2015 at 02:47 PM. Reason: fixed link