NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-28-2015, 05:09 PM
Bill Potter

Default 1939-46 Exhibits Salutation cards.

I have been obsessed with getting a Dimaggio and ended up learning of his Exhibit Salutation and buying one from a good forum member and it has turned my attention to the Exhibit cards themselves. Let me see if I have this straight.

Exhibit began making cards prior to the Depression and came out with their "Salutation" cards in 1939 and continued to offer the very same pose of each player every single year until the player retired? That is strange but also means there are far MORE of these cards out there and more affordable than a set like Play Ball or 48 Leaf etc. which is a GOOD thing for collectors on a budget. I have also discovered the Exhibit Hall Of Fame cards and I am trying to collect the ones of players who were still active or at least alive in 1948 when they were printed so I picked up a Wagner a Duffy and a Tinker from that set. Wanted a Ruth but noticed they are really high dollar for what the set it. The fact that the HOF cards were reprinted in 1974 seems to be the main thing to look out for when buying these as I assume the 74 cards have much much less value.
Anyway this is all a distraction from my T206 collecting and I am sure I told you people a bunch of stuff you already knew and may have gotten some of it wrong but that's where my mind and my OCD is today Thanks for entertaining my thoughts.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:53 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmountainslim View Post
That is strange but also means there are far MORE of these cards out there and more affordable than a set like Play Ball or 48 Leaf etc. which is a GOOD thing for collectors on a budget.

Wait til you get down to Kreevich and Rizzo
Old 11-30-2015, 02:15 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Good luck with your exhibit collection, they are fun cards to collect. The Salutations is a great set but does have some very tough SP's.

If you have not read Adams Exhibit Website its worth a read-

http://imageevent.com/exhibitman/int...ngexhibitcards
Old 11-30-2015, 07:06 PM
Bill Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtjoy View Post
Good luck with your exhibit collection, they are fun cards to collect. The Salutations is a great set but does have some very tough SP's.

If you have not read Adams Exhibit Website its worth a read-

http://imageevent.com/exhibitman/int...ngexhibitcards
Thanks! Had not found that site yet
Old 12-01-2015, 12:29 AM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
Wait til you get down to Kreevich and Rizzo
Not to mention Gehrig and a nice #9 shows Williams, and if you make it to the '23-'24 Exhibits, and/or the '25's, or '26-'29 postcard backs, you'll find the HOF'ers far, far tougher than those in the sets you named.

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 12-01-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

IMO whoever did the initial cataloging and dating on the postwar blank backed sets was just making s**t up and the errors have stuck.

Fred [Whiteymet] has done as much as possible to try and figure out which cards were from which years but even he will admit it isn't a precise science. I don't have the patience to scrutinize font sizes on MADE IN USA and the like.

As far as Salutations go, I've long advocated for the view that the post-four-on-one Exhibit baseball cards should be treated as one set with varying SPs, series and subsets. It is just impossible to rationally divvy them up otherwise. I mean, the 1939-46 Salutations thing is a nice fantasy because many cards, like the DiMaggio and Feller pitching, went on into the 1950s and Williams no #9 until at least 1960, and so on. There is even direct information from the company itself that sets spilled over beyond their Hobby-attributed years. I have an image of a 1955 catalog that offers sets of 32 football cards, a set that the FB collectors have long treated as 1948-52. The 1949 catalog offers the HOF set with the Ruth ten bats card depicted, for a set that is attributed to 1948. That catalog also offers 64 baseball cards and depicts the Salutations Boudreau as an example (so much for 1939-46). The company mixed and matched from the earliest days forward. The 1923 catalog offers what are clearly the 1921 boxers, advertising Sullivan through Dempsey, but claims 64 cards in the 1923 set. The reality is that the company always mixed and matched cards in its issues; the advertised 32 or 64 cards per set per year were really a combo of recycled images and/or cards in nearly every year. The only truly new baseball issues were the periodic reboots from the 1920s [1925, 1927], and the move into the 1930s four-on-ones. Otherwise it was a mix and match affair with some updates and some edited artwork [1921 Ruth card w/o borders versus 1923 Ruth with borders; they slapped a white border on the art and reshot it]. Even the four-on-ones have a ton of recycled photos.

But I digress. Turning back to the postwar sets, there are a lot of cards in the blank backed issues that are way easier to find than you'd expect, precisely because they were not cut off after a single year. But some of the cards are just vicious short prints. Johnny Rizzo is a great example in the Salutations set. His mom probably didn't even want his card but collectors chase that card really hard because it is just not an easy find. Almost every active collector of that set that I know has had a devil of a time getting Rizzo. The OP mentioned the HOF set. Same story there. The Ruth 10 bats card is the tougher SP there. I searched for one through the entire National a couple of years ago [and those who know me know that I have show OCD; I hit the show floor at dealer opening and scour through the place until the end of the day] and I found exactly one available, and it was in a set. Took me a while to find a legitimate example to finish my set.

Larry's right about some of those sets. The PC back is my favorite and it just made me want to pull my remaining hair out after a while, which is why I quit trying for the variations. I woke up one day and realized I'd been chasing this set for 25 years and still hadn't gotten close to some of the worst SPs. Needless to say, now that I've dismantled my set I am sure I will stumble across the few I needed in a junk box for a buck...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-01-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Funny stuff Adam, I agree.

I will add on the Football Exhibits- its my opinion that they were issued in 1948-52, then in 1955 they did issue a PC back 32 card issue, just like they did the 64 card 1955 baseball pc back (which also contains salutations lol). Granted if we could find a 53 or 54 catalog we would know for certain.

Its was my 1949 catalog that listed the Hall of Famer set as new that year so I really think it should be changed.

Agree Larry is the year by year expert, just way to many color (sepia and B&W) and font size and spacing differences for me, all of them would make the set huge.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:38 PM
Bill Potter

Got my first Exhibit HOF cards today.
Wagner
Tinker
Duffy

Here is the Wagner alongside a Mantle I also got in the mail today. Can't wait to get the Exhibit Dimaggio I bought here on the forum LOVE these card and their size.