NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-11-2016, 12:51 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Default Yankee Printing Plates. Help?

Sorry I posted this originally in the wrong section. I apologize.

I picked these up today, as I was contacted via craigslist. He originally came to show me a 1941 Dodgers team ball and brought these along. (random I know) I passed on the ball and went with these instead as the ball wasn't really legible in person. I took a chance I guess but the Yankee fan inside me couldn't resist haha. Any idea to the value of something like this? I'm going to probably keep a few and frame them and sell the rest.
Thanks guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2401.jpg (78.1 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2402.jpg (75.8 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2403.jpg (74.4 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2404.jpg (77.8 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2405.jpg (75.8 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2406.jpg (76.0 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2407.jpg (75.0 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2408.jpg (76.5 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2409.jpg (75.3 KB, 250 views)
Old 03-11-2016, 12:56 PM
Chris

Can I ask a silly question? Why are you buying stuff when you have no idea what it is or what it is worth? It doesn't seem like a particularly sound investment, nor a good way to build a collection. Obviously, it is your right to do what you want, but I just think it is worth saying, particularly if it saves you from getting burned somewhere along the lines.

As for these, I do not think they are printing plates, nor do they likely carry much value given the year.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Can I ask a silly question? Why are you buying stuff when you have no idea what it is or what it is worth? It doesn't seem like a particularly sound investment, nor a good way to build a collection. Obviously, it is your right to do what you want, but I just think it is worth saying, particularly if it saves you from getting burned somewhere along the lines.

As for these, I do not think they are printing plates, nor do they likely carry much value given the year.
I bought them to frame some for the man cave. I was 15 when they were winning all these so it touches my heart. Didn't spend a fortune. Just was curious what they were worth. They are aluminum. If not printing plates what did you think they were?
Old 03-11-2016, 01:03 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
I bought them to frame some for the man cave. I was 15 when they were winning all these so it touches my heart. Didn't spend a fortune. Just was curious what they were worth. They are aluminum. If not printing plates what did you think they were?
Oh, okay. I couldn't tell from the image, but they did not look to be metal. I can't say for certain what they are, as I don't have the knowledge. The Clemens is cool though, and, being a lifelong, albeit recently disappointed, Yankees fan, I can understand. (Fortunately, I have saved a ton of money on postseason tickets given all the refunds I've gotten when their season ended earlier than expected).
Old 03-11-2016, 01:05 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Oh, okay. I couldn't tell from the image, but they did not look to be metal. I can't say for certain what they are, as I don't have the knowledge. The Clemens is cool though, and, being a lifelong, albeit recently disappointed, Yankees fan, I can understand. (Fortunately, I have saved a ton of money on postseason tickets given all the refunds I've gotten when their season ended earlier than expected).
Yea I hate clemens but that's actually one of my favorites. I'm gonna probably give it to my cousin who is a die hard Piazza fan for his birthday if I don't sell it. HAHA
Old 03-11-2016, 01:23 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

They're not worth much. They're not the actual plates, rather something that is more of a commemorative or "limited edition" item.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:24 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
They're not worth much. They're not the actual plates, rather something that is more of a commemorative or "limited edition" item.
Thanks Duluth. Do you know where these things originated? I can't find a single one online. None have been offered for sale from the subway series. It's weird.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:25 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Default Also

They are metal. They made limited edition metal looking plate things? Thanks
Old 03-11-2016, 01:26 PM
John E.

Quote:
Some clarification for everyone...from a lifetime in a printing family.

These ARE printing plates. The issue is, they're not THE printing plates, and anyone could make dozens of these and sell them quite cheaply.

So...fun value but probably not much monetary...as an A's fan, if someone were selling these for some recent division title win I'd buy a few. But not for much.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:50 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know if they could actually be used in a printing process, but I knew they were not "the" original plates. I have seen a number of these here in Minnesota for the 1987 and 1991 Twins and have had some autographed and sold them in the past. They're cool, but not worth much.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:13 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know if they could actually be used in a printing process, but I knew they were not "the" original plates. I have seen a number of these here in Minnesota for the 1987 and 1991 Twins and have had some autographed and sold them in the past. They're cool, but not worth much.
Thanks guys!!! A lot of insight. I love this site.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:41 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
Yea I hate clemens but that's actually one of my favorites. I'm gonna probably give it to my cousin who is a die hard Piazza fan for his birthday if I don't sell it. HAHA
Depending on the size of it and the price I would be interested in the Clemens if/when you decide to sell.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:23 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Depending on the size of it and the price I would be interested in the Clemens if/when you decide to sell.
PM ME a offer. The size is 14.5 X 23.5

I'm always listening. Thanks
Old 03-12-2016, 02:00 PM
Mike

If they were real printing plates from a newspaper they would have had to be taken out of the printing facility by an employee. They usually are aluminum and are washed clean and reused for next day of printing. I do own 6 original printing plates from the New York Times( my uncle was a pressman for 50 years.) started there when he was 16. The plates are from the 86 Mets World Series, NY Giants Super Bowl in the 80's and Wasington Redskins Super bowl in the 80's 2 pages each. They are basically one of a kind since they are washed everyday and needed to be removed from printing faculty on the slide. Not sure of value but a pretty neat item to display.

Last edited by brookdodger55; 03-12-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

They are the printing plates for newspapers I got mine from a person that worked in that dept. I have a few
Old 03-12-2016, 02:53 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Not to start an argument, but I was told these things are not the real printing plates because a printing plates used to make a paper would look like a photo negative meaning it would all be reversed so it came out the right when when pressed against the paper. Right or wrong?

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 03-12-2016, 03:06 PM
Bob Lemke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
Not to start an argument, but I was told these things are not the real printing plates because a printing plates used to make a paper would look like a photo negative meaning it would all be reversed so it came out the right when when pressed against the paper. Right or wrong?
Wrong. The inked aluminum plate is pressed against a hard rubber roller, which creates a negative that is then transferred to the paper as a positive.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 03-12-2016, 03:09 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

You can Watch You Tube for the process , the plates should have a registration number
Old 03-12-2016, 04:43 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

OK my bad.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 03-12-2016, 09:00 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

The 1-of-1 printing plates inserted as chase cards have the image correctly, not reversed.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:41 AM
Ron V

I picked these up last year at a yard sale. I'm guessing they are the same kind of thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150517_075543_resized.jpg (70.7 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 20150517_075517_resized.jpg (72.3 KB, 116 views)
Old 03-13-2016, 06:36 AM
Mike

You are correct, What you have are actual printing plates, most likely given or taken out of the printing plant, not many of each issue out there since they are washed and reused each day.

Last edited by brookdodger55; 03-13-2016 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:50 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
The 1-of-1 printing plates inserted as chase cards have the image correctly, not reversed.

Some printing plate chase cards have the correct image and some have the reverse image. A quick eBay search will show several of both.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:37 PM
Rob

edit: never mind.

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 03-16-2016 at 12:38 PM.