NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Nick

Default First Trip to Fenway - Any Tips?

So my 30-year-old son and I are planning our first trip to Fenway Park July 24-26 to see our beloved Detroit Tigers take on the Red Sox. We're planning on staying two nights at a hotel close to the ballpark. We've been to just about every other key baseball park in the country. I'm looking for tips ranging from shuttle service from the airport; tickets and good restaurants. Any help from this longtime collector would be appreciated.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:09 PM
David Linardy

Default Beantown

You are going to have a blast!
Be sure to check out the following:
1-the lower depths: great pre game spot and home of the best tater tots in New England
2-mcgreeveys 3rd base saloon:decent fare and a lot of cool memorabilia to look at
3-Caskon flagon: popular bar across the street from the stadium
4-New England sports museum
5-Lars Anderson park and museum (if your into vintage cars)

Those are the few places that I can think of at the moment... I'm sure I'll have some to add later!
Old 12-02-2014, 01:12 PM

Default Boston

1. Stop by Kenmore Collectibles. It is a hobby shop located near the park run by two honest dealers.
2. Drink beers at the bleacher bar during batting practice. Get there early. Its a very cool view of the field and the beer is cold.

Enjoy!
Old 12-02-2014, 01:33 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

When I was 15 I went with my dad and 80 year grandmother to visit ballparks. We hit tiger stadium last year before closing. Loved the stadium and the people. Was really sad to see it go. I've been to Fenway 30 or so times. I like to eat outside of the stadium because it's cheaper and just as good, everybody always gets sausage and peppers. Also a lot of people park at train stations and ride in. I always drive and pay the 25 bucks to park nearby, the only stadiums I've taken a train into is old Yankee stadium and wrigley, which I did not like as much as old tiger stadium. Fans are good people at Fenway, as previously said get there to watch batting practice right when the gates open because you don't get to see everyone and it is already like halfway done, which I wish would change. Also walk around as much as possible, lots of interesting things to see. It should be a lot of fun!!!
Old 12-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

The organized tours are great -- definitely worth the time and money. Schedule the last one of the day -- it will end a few hours before the park opens to ticketholders. The guide allowed us to stay and roam the park all we wanted after the tour -- we just walked around the empty park for another hour or two -- not sure if that was an oversight but it was pretty cool.

Last edited by scotgreb; 12-02-2014 at 01:36 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 12-02-2014, 01:43 PM

Definitely go on the Fenway Park tour. Your tour guide tells you a lot of cool history and anecdotes as you walk throughout the stadium and on the field next to the Monstah.

Other stuff to do in Boston: Walk / take a tour of the Freedom Trail. Visit the U.S.S. Constitution.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:57 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Great suggestions so far. If you are a fan of Italian food, visit the North End of Boston. Pretty much any restaurant you choose will be worth it. Panza and Al Dente are two of the best. Tours of Trinity Church and the Boston Public Library (both in Copley Square, about ten minutes from ballpark) are great, lesser known attractions.

There are also Duck Tours that leave from Huntington Ave/Copley by the Prudential Building. These cover most of the city as well as into the Charles River.

Best of luck, you will have a blast!
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:09 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Wear a Yankees cap.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Wear a Yankees cap.
Make sure your estate is in order first.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Wear a Yankees cap.

I do all the time, no one says a thing. Specially funny when sox fans yell steroids at yankee players, yet cheer ortiz as if he's god.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:37 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

You can wear your Yankees cap I see a few hundred minimum whenever I go.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:43 PM

Default O/T Visit The Union Oyster Bar

Visit the Union Oyster Bar in downtown Boston if you like oysters and great clam chowder.

The Union Oyster Bar I believe is the oldest restaurant in the US if I'm not mistaken.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:58 PM

If you like great cannolis, try Mike's Pastry a few blocks away from Union Oyster. So many varieties to choose from and they are amazing.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
If you like great cannolis, try Mike's Pastry a few blocks away from Union Oyster. So many varieties to choose from and they are amazing.
Absolutely!
Old 12-02-2014, 08:00 PM

Depending on how close you want to stay to the Park, the Hotel Commonwealth is a great option right in Kenmore Square (steps from Fenway), and on the Green Line subway stop.

For a "large" US city, Boston doesn't feel all that big within city limits, it's closed in and easily walkable, with great restaurants all over, so tough to really go wrong in any area. Probably, as others have said, the best area to utilize the whole city easily is the Prudential area of the Back Bay which is centralized relative to the waterfront and Fenway Park. But in my opinion, if you want to stay right in the Fenway area, tough to go wrong with the Hotel Commonwealth.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Visit the Union Oyster Bar in downtown Boston if you like oysters and great clam chowder.

The Union Oyster Bar I believe is the oldest restaurant in the US if I'm not mistaken.
Damn boy, it's chowdah!!!! If you don't know how to say it you don't deserve to eat it.

It is located in the area called Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall aka the place to send every tourist as the locals don't go there.

As for Fenway - every guy has to pee in the troughs. Almost part of the experience.

About a mile west of Kenmore Square, just past Boston University, you can see the remnainder of Brave's Field. Just after Harry Agganis Arena you take the right down Harry Agganis Way and the former offices/ticket booths are about 200 feet down on the left. If you can get into Nickerson Field in behind, you may have to go around to the other side, the stands are the center field/left field stands.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 12-02-2014, 08:23 PM

I have a season ticket package still even though I live in NJ.

Personally I like to stay at the Sheraton on Dalton St (short mile walk to Fenway) but if you plan to site see, maybe staying over near Fanueil Hall would be better ... Marriott Long Wharf is nice, and close to the T, the north end, and FH.

Feel free to pm me of you have any questions. I'd offer you my seats, but they're just RF bleacher seats, so I doubt you'd want them.

Mike
Old 12-02-2014, 11:26 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

This is our routine, when we fly home.. Stay at the Marriot Long Wharf and you're in the North End (Little Italy + great bars). It's one subway stop to Logan. There is also the T boat from the hotel to Logan... Walk to Fenway - across the Commons and Public Gardens. Hit the pubs on Boylston. You'll skirt the Fens and end up at the ball park. No need to take the T, and you'll get to see the town. It's a very safe city. It's just about a two mile walk.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:05 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
As for Fenway - every guy has to pee in the troughs. Almost part of the experience.
Are they still there? I thought they renovated them all out.

Better then the troughs was the waterfall. I a mens room under the centerfield bleachers, a wall about 12 ft long with a gutter at the top constantly overflowing so it ran down the tiles. No backsplash at all. And sadly long gone. Of course, the water bill must have been huge.

Steve B
Fan of both the Sox and antique plumbing.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:23 AM
Nick

Thanks for all your input. It's been really helpful in planning the trip. I've been checking out hotels close to Fenway and wondered if anyone has stayed at the Hotel Buckminster, which is very close to Fenway?
Old 12-03-2014, 08:24 AM
Tim Carroll

My favorite city! When you leave the airport, take the airport shuttle to the T. Not sure if they sell 2-day passes, but I would go ahead and buy a 3- or 5-day pass if they don't - well worth it. That T will get you all around Boston in no time. If you have never been to Boston at all, I also recommend walking as much as possible. So much history, and as creepy as it sounds, the cemeteries (Granary and King's) were among my favorite spots the first time. My boys enjoyed the Tea Party experience as much as Fenway!! It really was cool - very nostalgic. Have fun....you'll definitely be back for a longer stay after visiting!

Tim

www.timcarrollart.com

Facebook/Instagram/Twitter: @timcarrollart
Old 12-03-2014, 11:02 AM

Default Scene of the crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickedson View Post
Thanks for all your input. It's been really helpful in planning the trip. I've been checking out hotels close to Fenway and wondered if anyone has stayed at the Hotel Buckminster, which is very close to Fenway?
Don't know anything about the accommodations at the Buckminster, but you'd be staying at a place that played a pivotal role in baseball history. World Series fixer Sport Sullivan met with Chick Gandil there to plan their scheme in 1919.
As a former longtime Boston resident, I, too, am a big fan of the T. However, when I returned this summer I discovered the Government Center station was closed longterm, making the transfer from the Blue Line (from the airport) to the Green Line (a branch of which stops in Kenmore Square near Fenway) rather challenging, especially for someone with suitcases and not familiar with the system (it would be even worse if you arrived during a heavy volume time).
All the historical, culinary and watering hole tips you've received are spot on. I don't think anyone mentioned the Museum of Fine Arts, which is only a few blocks from Fenway. If you are of an outdoor bent, don't miss the Public Garden. In addition, the Arnold Arboretum at the end of the Orange Line in Forest Hills is world class and the Emerald Necklace system of parks designed by Frederick Law Olmsted provides excellent walking and biking opportunities.
B.ob Ric.hardson

Last edited by spec; 12-03-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Avoid it.

My daughter went to BU so I visited Boston a lot.

Go to -
1- Boston Common
2- Paul Revere House
3- JFK library is a must see
4- Durgin Park for roast beef and lobster, this place has been in Boston before John Adams .
5- North End for great Italian restaurants, you can practically go into anyone of them.
6- Harborside Inn great place to stay, great location.
7- Granery cemetary
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 12-03-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:38 PM
Scott S

I work just on the other side of the river at Harvard - many folks in town come over to visit the school, go around Harvard Square, etc. Plenty of good eateries and some old sports history here on the Harvard campus as well!
Old 12-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Nick

Thank you to everyone who has offered tips. They are all very helpful. I'm a little shocked at some of the hotel prices I'm finding for the recommended places - $900 for two nights at a couple of places. Maybe I'll have to sell a few Cracker Jack cards to do some of my funding for the trip!
Old 12-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Dave

Durgan Park restaurant in the Faneuil Hall Market place is the real deal for great Boston food. You'll get the real Boston attitude fromthe waitress staff.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Grant Rainsley

Default Boston

Making mental note to put Boston and Fenway on the Bucket List.
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 12-04-2014, 10:53 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Thank you to everyone who has offered tips. They are all very helpful. I'm a little shocked at some of the hotel prices I'm finding for the recommended places - $900 for two nights at a couple of places. Maybe I'll have to sell a few Cracker Jack cards to do some of my funding for the trip!
Like I said in my previous post Harborside Inn.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 12-04-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
You'll be hard pressed to find hotels that you'd actually want to stay at for less than 350 a night. On the bright side you won't have to pay an additional 45 bucks a night for parking!

Buckminster isn't terrible, but not great. Old, strange shaped rooms.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:01 AM
Nick

Thanks, Mike. My son and I aren't hard to please, so a hotel that is close to the ballpark and reasonable priced ($700 for 2 nights is OK) because we'll be spending most of our time at Fenway or sight-seeing in those three days. Thanks to you, we have our tickets for Saturday, July 25th. Now we'll just play the Stub Hub or E-Bay game for tickets for Friday, July 24th. This is going to be a great vacation for a hobby old-timer!
Old 12-12-2014, 08:59 PM
Mark

make sure you go early to get your tickets, regardless of the day...the tours sell out so if you want a 1030am tour, get there early.