NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-28-2012, 05:52 AM
Tony Ooten

Default Unlisted Type Cards and "UNC"

Rick recently offered the Home Run Candy Hubbell card on the BST which he advertised as rare and Leon concured.

As usual I looked for the card in the only two sources I currently use: My list from Old Cardboard, and the 2011 SCD Std Catalog. Couldn't find it in either place.

I've seen issues that weren't on my OC list, but were in the SCD but this is the first time I couldn't find a card in either source.

I just read Leon's post in the other type card thread saying he still runs across cards he didn't know existed...............How often does this happen to you veteran type collectors?

also is the "UNC" designation a generic term that is assigned by "just anyone" to represent an issue that does not have an ACC designation? What is some history behind the UNC designation?

Tony
Old 04-28-2012, 07:05 AM
Steve Birmingham

UNC is just an abbeviation for uncataloged. It's used in other hobbies too, especially stamps.

I'm not sure how something would be "officially" UNC. And it varies with what catalog you use. (And what you consider cataloged)
ACC didn't have checklists, so until the sports collectors bible came out UNC would have been an entirely new set.
Sports collectors bible had checklists, so you could figure out previously unlisted players.
The early Becketts helped a bit with better checklists on some stuff, and pictures. But far fewer checklists.
SCD took it a whole lot farther, probably as far as they could with a space constraint.
I don't have it, but the old Judge book probably goes farther while focusing on one set.

There's room for a whole lot more, As there is a load of detailed information that hasn't made it into a formal catalog. The superset spreadsheet, and the confirmed lists for T206 come to mind, T205 needs something similar.
And all the lists that made up the earlier books were probably published before either in a book I don't know about, or in one of the early hobby publications. I know the first place I saw many checklists was the Trader speaks.

Steve B
Old 04-28-2012, 07:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1942

At least as early as 1942 there were "official" player checklists. This book has 50+ pages of intricate player lists.
As for issues that are of unknown variety, even though I was lucky enough to find some fairly recently, it's a rare occurence. It could be months or years (or never) before I find anymore. I might chime in some more later. This subject is akin to Teddy Z talking about his beloved T206s. We are still finding new info on Unc sets and refining what we already know. Great topic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg checklists1942book.jpg (68.8 KB, 313 views)

Last edited by Leon; 04-29-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default E-unc

Hi Tony,
It took me a long time to find the 1936 E-UNC in the Standard Catalog. It is listed under 1936-E-UNC on page 154 of the latest Vintage only Standard Catalog. The pricing in the catalog is very low compared to prices that are actually being realized for these cards.

Like Leon, I enjoy looking for obscure cards or cards that may be one of a kind. A 1920's? Nebraska Indians card closed on ebay last night. I haven't seen any other cards from this set, although the Nebraska collectors who are board members may be familiar with this issue. I regret that I didn't place a higher bid on this card, but the price jumped up by over $100 in the last 8 seconds.

I also ran across an late 1930's Eau Claire Bears minor league card that I haven't seen before that may be one of a kind.

As a side note, I have been looking at some of the PSA, SGC, and BGS pop reports for some of the difficult to find issues, and there seems to be some discrepancies in some of the data. The cards don't come up for sale very often and they don't get graded very often, so the grading companies may not always know exactly what they are grading.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Steve Birmingham

That's a wonderful book. Is it collected clippings from the bulletin or a collection of reprinted lists that had been printed there before?

And I have a feeling I know where all the old hobby publicatons have gone

As a list we should put together a bibliography of card publications.I think it would be fascinating, and probably longer than I'd thought.

Steev B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
At least as early as 1942 there were "official" player checklists. This book has 50+ pages of intricate player lists.
As for issues that are of unknown variety, even though I was lucky enough to find some fairly recently, it's a rare occurence. It could be months or a few years before I find anymore. I might chime in some more later. This subject is akin to Teddy Z talking about his beloved T206s. We are still finding new info on Unc sets and refining what we already know. Great subject.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Hi Tony,
It took me a long time to find the 1936 E-UNC in the Standard Catalog. It is listed under 1936-E-UNC on page 154 of the latest Vintage only Standard Catalog. The pricing in the catalog is very low compared to prices that are
Rick

Well Rick I stand corrected.... The Home Run Candy Card IS listed in the 2011 Std Catalog as well. 1936 E-UNC Candy just as you said. And yes the prices are alot lower than what yours sold for. Since I use the Std Catalog (and old cardboard) as a relative guideline, I probably wouldn't have bought the Hubbell anyway, but it is a good lesson for me as a type collector. I'll know next time I see a card like this one, even if it takes a few years!
Old 04-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Barry Arnold

Default tony

great hearing of your type collecting efforts.
you've already received good information.
i must say that your focus on Old Cardboard and the THE catalogue makes great sense to me. I have found that having some parameters and guidelines within the parameters provide some measure of self-governance which keeps me at least a bit practical in my acquisitions and not feeling like 'i'm all over the place.' Admittedly, when I see a great bargain---and I mean a great bargain--- i do push at the parameters gladly.
all the best,
barry
Old 04-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

FWIW, as long as it is a card from the era and not a modern creation I am always interested in it as a fan of unusual type cards and related items. I like encyclopedic compilations of data, so the more the merrier! The 'Unc" designation is just a categorizing device that card data compilers like me use to indicate that a card has been pinned down to a source that would have been categorized as such had it been known at the time. Like this M-Unc:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-29-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Steve and Adam...

Steve- Here are a few pages from the book. It is approx. 10" x 6" and is as can be seen. I think the cover is correct enough in dating at circa 1942. I guess it is a Card Collectors Bulletin with fairly full checklists (for the time).

Adam-

I have that one listed with my M120 Detroit Free Press premiums. Neat pieces....(the sizes on these might not be relatively correct with each other)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pm120masterx3.jpg (80.7 KB, 125 views)
Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 AM

Default Barker book

Leon...the Card Collector's Bulletin you have posted looks to be Buck Barker's personal copy, as the handwritting matches up to what I have seen on many Zeenuts, etc. Did it come from his estate? It is always cool to see the formation of checklists before they have been set in stone.

Brian
Old 04-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Leon...the Card Collector's Bulletin you have posted looks to be Buck Barker's personal copy, as the handwritting matches up to what I have seen on many Zeenuts, etc. Did it come from his estate? It is always cool to see the formation of checklists before they have been set in stone.

Brian
Hi Brian
Yes, I believe it is his personal copy as acquired much of his periodical collection. What I have shown thus far is the tip of the iceberg. The T206 lists are interesting.....and shed some more light on at least one hobby rumor.

Last edited by Leon; 04-30-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Leon, the Detroit Times and the Detroit Free Press were rivals. The Times was a Hearst paper; the Free Press was independent then became a Knight paper in 1940. Different papers, different issues.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Leon, the Detroit Times and the Detroit Free Press were rivals. The Times was a Hearst paper; the Free Press was independent then became a Knight paper in 1940. Different papers, different issues.
Thanks Adam...it's all I could find . At least they are both from Detroit!!