NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 AM

Default How does this card get a numerical grade?

Should any strip card which was hand cut, holster a numerical grade?

Absolutely not or trimmed T206's should.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920-W519-GE...item1c2393b001
Old 03-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default still

This is still one of my biggest pet peeves in the grading area. I don't have so much of a problem with the numeric grades as I do with them not having the caveat on the flip of "hand cut". As for them getting numerical vs AUT grades, it depends on how much of the borders are left after the cut/trim. As long as they are consistent I don't care too much. The other thing folks should know is that these cards could be cut yesterday or 95 yrs ago, to the grading company, it doesn't matter (nor can it). So if there are real big borders on a strip card you can trim it more, leave enough of the border, and get a potentially higher numeric grade. Folks that buy highly graded, trimmed (strip) cards are enjoying a part of the hobby that makes me scratch my head. To each their own though.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 AM

I can see your point Leon. I guess Auth and hand cut is what I would expect. A numerical grade and hand cut kind of contradicts itself to me. But then again, I am fairly clueless about the entire grading thing.

It is a nice looking fairly tough card with the cool advertising on the right edge at any rate.

Dan

Last edited by danmckee; 03-07-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Peter Spaeth

I am fine grading them (they were intended to be cut) but the flip absolutely should indicate hand cut, as PSA does. Not clear to me why SGC does not do this.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:11 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I believe SGC caters to collectors who prefer cleaner flips, including no qualifiers, and this includes notations such as hand cut. It's a W card, and the significant majority of W's are hand cut.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Pretty sweet card with full borders.

A better question, Who in the corporation thought this new image viewer is an improvement. Freakin laughable.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
...The other thing folks should know is that these cards could be cut yesterday or 95 yrs ago, to the grading company, it doesn't matter (nor can it). So if there are real big borders on a strip card you can trim it more, leave enough of the border, and get a potentially higher numeric grade.
Remember the W514 Joe Jackson trimming accident? Wish I could find a picture of the result - it was kind of sad, yet funny.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:39 AM
pete ullman

I agree...I've sent a few strips to SGC with huge borders...and I've never received a # grade.

To me this is just another example of preferential treatment for certain high volume customers over little people...like me!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Marc S.

Default Kind of like

the numerical grades on *all* of the Zeenuts that don't have the coupons attached.

M
Old 03-07-2012, 01:04 PM

I remember the Joe Jackson card. The card had a rough cut and maybe was oversized. The buyer tried to cut it perfect with a razor blade but it didn't work as planned. Unfortunate slip.

Last edited by drc; 03-07-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
I remember the Joe Jackson card. The card had a rough cut and maybe was oversized. The buyer tried to cut it perfect with a razor blade but it didn't work as planned. Unfortunate slip.
So what's the rest of the story? Did the card get sliced in 2 or something? I miss Paul Harvey and "the rest of the story".
Old 03-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
So what's the rest of the story? Did the card get sliced in 2 or something? I miss Paul Harvey and "the rest of the story".
The surgeon cut three edges correctly, but their x-acto knife apparently got hung on one of the edges and ripped the paper about 1/3" and slightly in toward the image. It was ugly, but well-deserved.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:47 AM
James Gallo

I am 99% sure I had this card graded. Over the years I have had various conversations with the SGC guys on grading strips.

IMO this is the biggest problem I have ever had with SGC. They are just not consistant with what gets a grade and what doesn't, but whatever I have stopped trying to figure it out.

Anyway one thing I can say for sure is that this card was not cut recently and was very sharp and clean.

James G