NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2021, 03:42 PM

Default Whats the earliest card of Babe Ruth in a Yankees uniform?

Looking for some information on what card or cards has Babe Ruth in his Yankees uniform and not his Red Sox Uniform. I like the early Ruth cards of him in the Yankees uniform. The 1921 E220 has him in a Yankees uniform, is there something older than that one?
Old 12-08-2021, 04:12 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Hi

That is a great question and while I started my Ruth collecting this is one of the articles that I came across about it and depending on what you consider a card vs promo cards vs strip cards gives different answers

Here is the LINK

https://waxpackgods.com/babe-ruth-baseball-card/

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 12-08-2021, 04:23 PM
K3v1n Stru55

I assume that these cards were issued in conjunction with the 1920 off-season tour that Ruth did with Carl Mays. The newspaper is from July 19, 1920. Unfortunately, neither one is mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Throwing a_442x800.jpg (50.9 KB, 441 views)
File Type: jpg Hunt Example_533x800.jpg (51.8 KB, 434 views)
File Type: jpg 1920.07.19_590x800.jpg (79.9 KB, 405 views)

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 12-08-2021 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:00 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Great pictures to show to anybody who thinks of Babe as being just this rotund non-athletic guy.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:08 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
I believe that these cards were issued in conjunction with the 1920 off-season tour that Ruth did with Carl Mays.
Mays on tour to capitalize on the publicity from killing Ray Chapman with a pitch? Wow.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:27 PM
Frank Wakefield

I think that Mays has been demonized over the years.

What happened, happened. Chapman was a well-liked ball player, even Ty Cobb liked Chapman.

Maybe start with Wikipedia's article on Carl Mays, then keep reading other articles.

As for that 1920 touring team... Would you say that Babe Ruth joined up with that team to capitalize on Mays having killed Chapman? I doubt it.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:02 PM
Ethan

Default Ruth

Kevin is on to something.

I believe he can also be seen (wearing early pinstripes) on his 1920 Tex Rickard "Headin' Home" Card. Some say he was with the Yankees when his Frederick Foto card was issued, however he is pictured in a Red Sox uniform for that card.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:31 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
I believe that these cards were issued in conjunction with the 1920 off-season tour that Ruth did with Carl Mays. The newspaper is from July 19, 1920.
i've seen the ruth swinging image identified as the first image of ruth with the yankees in a newspaper insert.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:31 PM
Scott Russell

1921 self-developing card from our last auction comes to mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth.jpg (88.5 KB, 396 views)
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-08-2021, 06:36 PM

I would say most likely Headin' Home Babe Ruth cards are his first cards in a Yankees uniform.
Headin' Home was released on Sept 19, 1920. The film was played at several Theatres during that time, and some would offer advertising cards for the film. The advertising cards would have a picture of Babe Ruth on the front wearing his Yankees uniform. The back would typically be blank with a theatre stamp. Some examples are Welcome Theatre and Majestic Theatre. I've seen some with actual dates on the back which is helpful. Oct. 25th is one date. I would assume these were handed out at least from Sept. - end of year 1920. I'm not sure when the cards were made but my guess is sometime April-July 1920.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:53 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkd View Post
I would say most likely Headin' Home Babe Ruth cards are his first cards in a Yankees uniform.
Headin' Home was released on Sept 19, 1920. The film was played at several Theatres during that time, and some would offer advertising cards for the film. The advertising cards would have a picture of Babe Ruth on the front wearing his Yankees uniform. The back would typically be blank with a theatre stamp. Some examples are Welcome Theatre and Majestic Theatre. I've seen some with actual dates on the back which is helpful. Oct. 25th is one date. I would assume these were handed out at least from Sept. - end of year 1920. I'm not sure when the cards were made but my guess is sometime April-July 1920.
I would agree with this as long as we accept these as Ruth Cards as some people consider these Promo cards and thus not true cards.
So as a group how do we consider this

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 12-08-2021, 07:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

1921 Exhibit.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-08-2021, 07:52 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
I think that Mays has been demonized over the years. What happened, happened. Chapman was a well-liked ball player, even Ty Cobb liked Chapman. Maybe start with Wikipedia's article on Carl Mays, then keep reading other articles. As for that 1920 touring team... Would you say that Babe Ruth joined up with that team to capitalize on Mays having killed Chapman? I doubt it.
Most of what I know about the Mays/Chapman incident--not much--comes from Joe Wood on "The Glory of Their Times" audio. I didn't take sides in my comment, merely expressed wonderment at what appears to be crass capitalization of it given the timing. Mays did have a great season, though, so maybe he would have gotten equal billing with Ruth without the notoriety of the "pitch that killed." I tend to doubt it, but who knows? As for the Babe, I'm sure he was just happy to be picking up some extra cash for the tour; whether he gave any thought to Mays's involvement or had any feelings about it one way or the other would only be conjecture.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:07 PM
David M.

Is there any way to know what time of year this 1921 strip card was issued? It's not a photo but I guess it would at least be a candidate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Babe Ruth 1921 W551 PSA 1.5 (2).jpg (77.2 KB, 348 views)

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 12-08-2021 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:24 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

1921 Exhibit.
Hey Adam. Is it known what uniform Ruth is wearing on this Exhibit? If I didn't know any better, I'd say that CLEVELAND is spelled out on front of the jersey, but that obviously makes no sense. I've always wondered.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 12-08-2021, 09:47 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Definitely looks like it says "New York" to me.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:26 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default 1920 Ruth strip card

https://i.psacard.com/cardfacts/1920...330.jpg?h=1000
Old 12-08-2021, 10:30 PM
Frank Wakefield

Hank, I applaud your use of TGOTT as a source. Genuinely. EEE vers. SI cot. Those are names many of us mispronounce today. Everyone on this board should listen to those 4 CDs. The first was the Cubs second baseman, the second one was that Black Sox pitcher. Woods' segment is a wonderful lesson on equivocation. Did you bet on baseball? No!!! YES!!!! And after listening to Sam Crawford, it makes me think that Wagner was the best ball player ever, not Cobb nor Ruth.

Mays threw a pitch that hit Chapman in the head. Chapman tried to take a couple of steps toward first and collapsed. Mays stayed on the mound, away from him. Mays stayed in the game, Chapman was taken to a hospital. The game went on. Chapman died early the next day.

I doubt Mays was trying to kill Chapman. Chapman died because he was hit by a pitched ball. It wasn't an unexpected pitch. It was in the top of the 5th at the Polo Grounds (the home park for the Yankees that season). Smokey Joe Woods would have been on the bench as an outfielder, he didn't play that day. Harry Lunte went in to pinch run and then play in the field. Speaker was the next hitter and he reached on a fielder's choice, eventually scoring Cleveland's 4th run (Cleveland won 4-3). Mays started the day going for his 100th career win. The Cleveland players didn't revolt, nor storm the field, nor refuse to bat, nor chase Mays out of the game. Seems fault would go to the pitcher, and a bit to the batter, maybe the ball was dirty. Mays did have an unconventional, submarine type pitch. Chapman was hitless that Monday, his last game. And he was 0 for 4 on Sunday, the day before, at home in Cleveland.

I don't think anyone killed anyone that day. I do think Chapman died a few hours after being hit in the head by a pitch Mays delivered. Mays won over 100 more games in the Majors after that game. I deem it a tragic accident. I figure Mays barnstormed the season before, and the season after... That was what ball players did then. I don't think they barnstormed to capitalize on Mays having thrown that pitch.

I'm encouraged about there being people here who've listened to Mr. Ritter's The Glory Of Their Times, 4 CD set. Guys, that's must listening!! And after you've listened to that, listen to it again in a year or two.

Davy Jones, Chief Meyers, Sam Crawford, Fred Snodgrass, Hans Lobert, Rube Marquard.... if you love those white border T206s you have to listen to the voices and pronunciations of those guys.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:33 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
Not likely a Yankee uniform there. Yanks wore dark caps in 1920.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:48 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Okay try this one

https://dyn1.heritagestatic.com/lf?s...oduct.chain%5D

or even better one with the pin stripes ( I Think) https://i.psacard.com/cardfacts/1920...396.jpg?h=1000

Last edited by NiceDocter; 12-08-2021 at 10:51 PM. Reason: .
Old 12-09-2021, 05:01 AM
Jim B.

Here's a few 1920 strip cards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1920_W516_1.jpg (77.4 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg 1920_W516_1_2.jpg (72.9 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg 1920_W519_5.jpg (66.2 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg 1920_W519Unnumbered.jpg (77.6 KB, 285 views)
Old 12-09-2021, 05:52 AM
Dave Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadeast View Post
Hey Adam. Is it known what uniform Ruth is wearing on this Exhibit? If I didn't know any better, I'd say that CLEVELAND is spelled out on front of the jersey, but that obviously makes no sense. I've always wondered.
I agree ... It does look like Cleveland. Very odd.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:02 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccre View Post
I agree ... It does look like Cleveland. Very odd.
it says a scrunched up NEW YORK if you look closely.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:16 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Yup. The "O" is bifurcated diagonally by a fabric fold, which makes it look like an "L"

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-09-2021 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:06 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Hank, I applaud your use of TGOTT as a source. Genuinely. EEE vers. SI cot. Those are names many of us mispronounce today. Everyone on this board should listen to those 4 CDs. The first was the Cubs second baseman, the second one was that Black Sox pitcher. Woods' segment is a wonderful lesson on equivocation. Did you bet on baseball? No!!! YES!!!! And after listening to Sam Crawford, it makes me think that Wagner was the best ball player ever, not Cobb nor Ruth.

Mays threw a pitch that hit Chapman in the head. Chapman tried to take a couple of steps toward first and collapsed. Mays stayed on the mound, away from him. Mays stayed in the game, Chapman was taken to a hospital. The game went on. Chapman died early the next day.

I doubt Mays was trying to kill Chapman. Chapman died because he was hit by a pitched ball. It wasn't an unexpected pitch. It was in the top of the 5th at the Polo Grounds (the home park for the Yankees that season). Smokey Joe Woods would have been on the bench as an outfielder, he didn't play that day. Harry Lunte went in to pinch run and then play in the field. Speaker was the next hitter and he reached on a fielder's choice, eventually scoring Cleveland's 4th run (Cleveland won 4-3). Mays started the day going for his 100th career win. The Cleveland players didn't revolt, nor storm the field, nor refuse to bat, nor chase Mays out of the game. Seems fault would go to the pitcher, and a bit to the batter, maybe the ball was dirty. Mays did have an unconventional, submarine type pitch. Chapman was hitless that Monday, his last game. And he was 0 for 4 on Sunday, the day before, at home in Cleveland.

I don't think anyone killed anyone that day. I do think Chapman died a few hours after being hit in the head by a pitch Mays delivered. Mays won over 100 more games in the Majors after that game. I deem it a tragic accident. I figure Mays barnstormed the season before, and the season after... That was what ball players did then. I don't think they barnstormed to capitalize on Mays having thrown that pitch.

I'm encouraged about there being people here who've listened to Mr. Ritter's The Glory Of Their Times, 4 CD set. Guys, that's must listening!! And after you've listened to that, listen to it again in a year or two.

Davy Jones, Chief Meyers, Sam Crawford, Fred Snodgrass, Hans Lobert, Rube Marquard.... if you love those white border T206s you have to listen to the voices and pronunciations of those guys.
No applause needed, Frank, I only brought up GOTT because I co-produced and edited the audio set and that's where most of my information on the event comes from. I'm sure Mays wasn't trying to kill anyone, but as you say he had an unusual underarm delivery that would typically break into a righthanded hitter. And, as several of Ritter's interview subjects emphasized, the "beanball" was just another pitch to most pitchers in that time. Lefty Grove: "There were only two pitchers who wouldn't throw at hitters the entire time I played, Herb Pennock and Walter Johnson." Two pitchers in 20 years of baseball! It's actually amazing that only one batter died from a pitched ball. From now on, though, I will definitely refrain from using the terminology that Chapman was killed, and especially that anyone killed him, just that he died that day. Thanks for the props on the GOTT audio, by the way, I also agree with you completely on that!

Last edited by Hankphenom; 12-09-2021 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:10 PM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

The W514 strip card is labeled 1919-1921.
Possibly that one is one of the earliest?
Old 12-09-2021, 09:26 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by babraham View Post
Don’t think that he is pictured in a Yankees uniform.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:40 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

Quote:
Originally Posted by babraham View Post
The w514 image used of Ruth is a popular Conlon image of him batting when a Red Sox
Old 12-09-2021, 11:41 PM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasL View Post
The w514 image used of Ruth is a popular Conlon image of him batting when a Red Sox
Ahh got it.
Thank you!
Old 12-10-2021, 06:51 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

All the Headin Home poses would fit the bill, here's mine:

The E253 is 1921 but worth mentioning as an early one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19951410884_4138178e94_c (1).jpg (60.0 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 20574001245_6f7186819c_c (1).jpg (75.4 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by yanksfan09; 12-10-2021 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:51 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
All the Headin Home poses would fit the bill, here's mine:

The E253 is 1921 but worth mentioning as an early one.
Nice cards Erick and I would think that the Heading Home Theatre Cards if we treat them as a baseball card(some collectors might say it is a theatre promo card and not a true baseball card) might be the earliest so far in a yankee uniform

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 12-10-2021, 10:22 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Nice cards Erick and I would think that the Heading Home Theatre Cards if we treat them as a baseball card(some collectors might say it is a theatre promo card and not a true baseball card) might be the earliest so far in a yankee uniform
id expect some of the headin' home cards to possibly have date stamp on the back?

Jan 5, 1920 the yankees purchased ruth from the red sox.