NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-17-2015, 08:56 AM
Bob Donaldson

Default Question on grading

Hi,

I've the following Leaf Musial which has pretty good eye appeal and was thinking of getting it graded, in preparation for a sale. I've very little experience with grading and was wondering if the stamp on the back would automatically cause it to grade poor by either PSA or SGC.

any thoughts?

thanks

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stan-f.jpg (73.1 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg stan-b.jpg (76.5 KB, 280 views)
Old 12-17-2015, 09:09 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

My thoughts - for what they are worth - are that you will NOT automatically receive a "POOR" grade, but PSA will give you an "MK" qualifier. SGC does NOT so designate cards with marks.

If you are selling it, I would have it graded, but I would GUESS that you would not get better than a PSA 4 VG-EX...

Again, just MY opinion!

Good luck!
Old 12-17-2015, 11:26 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I think I see a slight vertical surface crease on the card, so depending on how strong it is in hand, I think you would receive a 2 or 3 grade with the MK qualifier from PSA. SGC typically drops cards with marks down to 20/1.5 (Fair) grades, so not exactly sure how they will treat the stamp. I assume they will still say it's a mark, and go with 20/1.5.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:01 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
My thoughts - for what they are worth - are that you will NOT automatically receive a "POOR" grade, but PSA will give you an "MK" qualifier. SGC does NOT so designate cards with marks.

If you are selling it, I would have it graded, but I would GUESS that you would not get better than a PSA 4 VG-EX...

Again, just MY opinion!

Good luck!
No way this card grades a '4'. I have the exact same card up for sale, and mine is a '4' WITHOUT a mark on the back. No way are those two cards equal.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:03 PM
Robert Williams

Old 12-17-2015, 12:39 PM
Greg Z@y@tz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
No way this card grades a '4'. I have the exact same card up for sale, and mine is a '4' WITHOUT a mark on the back. No way are those two cards equal.
AGREED...upon further review! I DID say NOT BETTER THAN, but you are right!
Old 12-17-2015, 01:08 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

That's a pretty nice 4, Bobby. I'm not sure if there's some sort of wrinkle that downgraded that card, but it looks nice enough for a 5 or even 6. I wouldn't be totally surprised if Bob's card got a 4MK even with a surface wrinkle. I think you saw the 3.5 for the T206 that was graded earlier today on the main forum.

Last edited by glchen; 12-17-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:14 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
That's a pretty nice 4, Bobby. I'm not sure if there's some sort of wrinkle that downgraded that card, but it looks nice enough for a 5 or even 6. I wouldn't be totally surprised if Bob's card got a 4MK even with a surface wrinkle. I think you saw the 3.5 for the T206 that was graded earlier today on the main forum.
Thanks Gary. I really thought it would '6' or '7' when I sent it in. I'm not a huge fan of the crackout game, so I just keep it as is, state it's undergraded and ask for a premium. One time I recently played the crackout game on a Bradshaw '4' I had. I was forced to, because the case has gotten damaged with some residue I couldn't get off. I thought it was an undergraded '4'. I sent it back in and got a '6'. But not a fan of crackouts.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 12-17-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:20 PM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I think I see a slight vertical surface crease on the card, so depending on how strong it is in hand, I think you would receive a 2 or 3 grade with the MK qualifier from PSA. SGC typically drops cards with marks down to 20/1.5 (Fair) grades, so not exactly sure how they will treat the stamp. I assume they will still say it's a mark, and go with 20/1.5.
No crease or wrinkle. The picture I uploaded, from my iphone is the card in a penny sleeve and toploader. I think what looks like a wrinkle is from the penny sleeve.

Anyways, I'll probably grade it with PSA, knowing that I won't automatically get a 1.

Thanks for all the feedback

Bob
Old 12-17-2015, 01:21 PM
Robert Williams

And no...no surface wrinkle or anything. You can see really huge scans on the auction. I'm pricing it high, because it looks way better than a '4'. It's worth every penny.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:40 PM
Greg Z@y@tz

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
Anyways, I'll probably grade it with PSA, knowing that I won't automatically get a 1.
Let us know! I'm curious to know what PSA thinks....
Old 12-17-2015, 02:13 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Geez... everyone's hung up on the grade (j/k) , but one thing not mentioned yet that for this type of card, ANY grade will help in establishing that the card is authentic, which could easily assist with a sale at any level (though obviously more so the better the condition).
Old 01-16-2016, 01:05 PM
Bob Donaldson

Finally, got it back today, about a month after sending it in. Got a 5(mk), about what I expected
Attached Images
File Type: jpg musial.jpg (75.6 KB, 90 views)
Old 01-16-2016, 01:07 PM
Dave_Berg

I would say you did well
Old 01-17-2016, 11:09 AM
Jimi

Nice, Bob! It does look a lot nicer in the slab than the original pic you published.
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 01-17-2016, 11:16 AM
Dustin Bellinger

Congrats on the grade and thanks for sharing!

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimivintage View Post
Nice, Bob! It does look a lot nicer in the slab than the original pic you published.

Thanks Jimi. Got my scanner fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk