NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Do you think the value of the T206 will increase or decrease over the next 10 years?
Increase 72 76.60%
Decrease 22 23.40%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Cain J.

Default T206 Poll

With all the recent talk about the decline in the baseball card market do you see the T206 set going up or down in value over the next 10 years?
Old 08-13-2013, 02:50 PM
pete ullman

what aspect of t206 collecting are you referring to? set value? rare backs? freaks? hof'ers? high grade...mid grade...low grade?

Lots of ways to collect T206...not all are created equal?!

Last edited by ullmandds; 08-13-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Cain J.

I thought about this and I was trying not to break it down into sub categories it would be too many polls for me to create . Overall including low grade commons do you see the set going up or down in value over that time period?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
what aspect of t206 collecting are you referring to? set value? rare backs? freaks? hof'ers? high grade...mid grade...low grade?

Lots of ways to collect T206...not all are created equal?!

Last edited by ins02; 08-13-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Steve Birmingham

I just don't see a decline in the older stuff. Maybe some adjustments as a few collectors with money move to different sets, or as different sets become popular but overall, no decline.

Modern stuff will always be different, including older postwar stuff from the 40's and 50's.

Steve B
Old 08-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Eric Perry

Personally, I see the value of T206 cards rising steadily over time. While I could be wrong about this, my opinion is that the base of collectors for cards from this set (not those seeking complete sets...more of the subset variety, such as collectors of HOF players, particular teams, back runs, high grade examples, etc.) will actually increase.

The market for VG to EX commons will likely draw quite a few new collectors in, by my estimation. The artwork of the cards is generally thought to be superb (in the eyes of a baseball fan or someone who is nostalgic for lithographic images from the turn of the 20th century.)

Of course, some cards are generally more appealing to a certain segment of people...such as the Titus...and will capture more fringe collectors than other examples. In cases such as this, I believe the ceiling is not quite as high; however, should continue to climb. Although the Titus is very cool to hardcore T206 collectors (and new people who fit this description will appear, in my opinion,) to the garden variety new T206 collector, the moustache is probably not reason enough to pay multiples of, say, Ted Easterly.

Beaters will probably present the most interesting play. If you think that I am nuts, consider the following: A fellow Board Member, who I would consider a friend, picked up a T206 Cobb...in the 1960's...for $5. Not to say that his example is a beater...I'm just saying that those days are long gone. Shortly after that, if I'm not mistaken, 50 cent commons, via mail order, were easily obtained. Those days are gone, too.

Fast forward to 2013. In the time I have been on Net54, which is less than a year, prices for T206 cards have increased across the board. And this includes cards with creases, paper loss, writing, hole punches, stamps, etc. And I won't even get into the rise in prices for backs other than Piedmont and Sweet Caporal.

Will this trend of increasing pries continue? Since my crystal ball is out for repair, I do not know with certainty. Having said this, I feel confident that the trend will continue. Day traders should stay away, though. This is a hobby, ladies and gentlemen...investors should look for other vehicles.

Just my two cents.

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 08-13-2013, 09:27 PM

As long as there's been a price guide, T206 cards have never come down. Also the internet & card grading will keep gradually increase prices, unless there's a total collapse in the country's economy.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Bill Gregory

I would agree with Eric. I don't think the T206 set will see anything but growth over time. It's the most studied set in history, and there's so many positives to it: a diverse checklist filled with the great stars and Hall of Famers of the day, tremendous eye appeal, and enough legend to keep attracting new collectors. Plus with all the different backs, there's so many ways you can collect within the T206 set. It pretty much immediately drew me in. What's not to love?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.