NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Default Earliest Memory Of Baseball

Posted By: Sean

What was your first memory mine was when the giants and angels were in the 2002 World series! i was only 7 back then. but i still played baseball since i was 3 or 4. and im still in little league. i finished my baseball season. but i still have a few more games cause im in travel. So whats yours

Old 07-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Probably the little league games that took place in the park across the street from my home. If we're talking professional baseball then it was the 1975 World Series..shortly after that I started buying my first baseball cards.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Leslie Westbrook

I was 5 years old, and my mother signed me up for t-ball. Five minutes after I arrived at the field on my first day of practice (I knew nothing about the game), I was teamed up with another kid to play catch. We put on our brand new, ridiculously stiff, impossible-to-squeeze-shut gloves...stood about 10 feet apart, and he threw the ball to me--I didn't catch it, however. The ball smacked me in the forehead and left a huge knot. That was my first and last day of t-ball. I later joined little league at age 8 and played for years.

I was getting packs of cards at the local 7-11, though, in 1982 at age 3. They literally covered my bedroom. I was not into organizing at the time--just getting as many as possible. Now I'm buying as many t-206's as I can get my hands on. I tend to keep those a bit more organized

Old 07-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RC

Gosh Dan, even you make me feel a little "old". The Dodgers vs. Orioles in '66 for the World Series is my most vivid memory of professional baseball. Went to my first game the following year at Crosley Field in Cincinnati and watched a rookie named Seaver pitch, and lose, for the Mets.

RC

Old 07-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Sean,

You are literallly a kid...but the rest of you are still youngsters.

I remember being about 7 or 8 following the Giants on the radio. When Marichal was pitching I was throwing my tennis ball against the wall mimicking his high leg kick. Of course, I always struck out the imaginary guy batting, Marichal would often do the same over the radio.

Peter

Old 07-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

Earliest memory would be of a game, which I'm almost certain was in '57, in which the Reds beat the Dodgers 3-1, with Gil Hodges supplying the only Dodger run via a solo homer. Also recall the '57 Yankees-Braves series, most vividly, the Nippy Jones "shoe polish" play, a scenario that was repeated in the '69 Series, with Cleon Jones. One other memory of that time was an incident where Cincy pitcher Raul Sanchez, having been just removed from a game, tossed his glove into the stands in frustration. Recall reading in the paper the next day, the trouble security had inducing the fan, who had caught the glove, to give it back. Thanks for provoking some pleasant recollections, Sean!

Old 07-21-2007, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

The first game that really stood out for me was Game 7 of the 1960 World Series when the Pirates beat the Yankees on Bill Mazeroski's 9th inning homer off Ralph Terry. I was about 10 at the time and a diehard Yankee fan. I was crushed and actually went out and wandered around the streets for about an hour wondering how such a "tragedy" could have happened.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Earliest memory of baseball is watching the Tigers on TV and listening to George Kell.

An early but not earliest memory is having the radio on in the 4th grade and the class listening to the Tigers in the '68 World Series (they played them during the day back then, you know). And also in 1968 I think, my dad telling me at breakfast that Denny McLain was "wilder than hell" in the All-Star game the night before - because my mom got on him for swearing. hee.

By 1968 I was already a fan at 9 years old, so I had been watching and following the Tigers for a long time before then. But those are my earliest specific memories. Before that it's just generically the sound of George Kell's voice.

I guess I also remember having to decide if I wanted my first baseball glove to be right handed or left handed. I'm a lefty, and had played barehanded before then and threw with my left. For some reason I decided on a glove that would go on my left and learned to throw righty - very young. Maybe 6 years old? That first glove was a "toy" - cheap black vinyl with red piping around the edges, completely flat and formless. I still have every glove I've had since then except that one, and I would give them all up today to get back that cheap little $2 POS that I was so proud of.

Joann

Old 07-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

Day world series games, Joann?!? Pshaw! Next you'll be telling us that, once upon a time, during the season, one could see two games in the same day, for the price of one!

Old 07-21-2007, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

One early memory I have that has always stayed with me was my dad and I driving around our neighborhood one day, and we pulled over to say hello to one of my family's friends. We opened the car window and she said to us: "did you hear the news, Roger Maris just hit his 61st home run." I can still picture that moment.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Joann--That's a great story about your glove. I got a very similar glove when I was very young, the only difference being that mine was light brown with dark brown piping.I had one other glove until I was 13 and then I got a Rawlings SM-6 (Stan Musial model with Pro-style H web). I played all through college with that glove, repairing it when the laces broke, and I still have it as my only(but sadly only used for the occasional catch now) glove. Actually, it's kind of funny. As I was writing this post I Googled Stan Musial SM-6 and see that there was this very glove in Hunt's February 2003 auction. Apparently Brooks Robinson used this glove when he played. I never knew this before but I do know that it is a great infield glove.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

My earliest specific baseball memory is from the 1985 World Series. I was 8 years old at the time. I remember pulling for the Royals because I liked blue more than red and because I thought the name Bret(t) sounded cool. The memory is that Bret Saberhagen's wife had just given birth to a son named Drew, and someone in the crowd at the game hung a sign reading:

Cardinals are red.
Royals are blue.
Bret, you can do it.
Do it for Drew.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: D.C. Markel

Mine was going to my first game at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh on July 5th, 1967, where the Pirates played the Reds. The Pirates won 6-1 behind the pitching of Tommie Sisk. I was extremely fortunate to see a once-in-a-lifetime play were the Reds had a man on third and the Cincy batter hit a sharp one hop single to rightfielder Roberto Clemente, who rifled the ball to home and THREW THE RUNNER OUT AT THE PLATE COMING FROM 3RD! Again, this wasn't a sac fly, this was a single! The place went nuts and my father told me that I'd probably never see that happen again and so far, he's been right!

Old 07-21-2007, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Warning: the following picture has been posted before. Past appearances are no guarantee of future looks.

Earliest memory is sneaking a radio into grade 2 or 3 to listen to the 1967 World Series, rooting for the Red Sox and Jose Santiago.

Second memory is debating whether to send away for Strat-O-Matic baseball teams, or amazing sea monkies in the comic book ads at the back.

Max

Old 07-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John H.

My earliest memory is being very angry at the CBC for pre-empting Horse Opera (always hoping for a Roy Rogers movie) to show a crumby Baseball game on some Saturday afternoons.

John

Old 07-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Hopefully, you sent away for the Strat-O-Matic baseball games.

In Jr. High School we use to pick our own version of an all-star team prior to the season starting, then a friend of mine would give us weekly updates on how each of our rosters were doing statistically. Normally, there at least 3 of us that were doing this. At the end of the baseball season, none of us got beans, but we did get bragging rights and that was precious.

Peter

Old 07-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Silver King

My earliest "significant" memory was 1976 and I was 10 years old. I went to the Oakland A's game and in the 9th inning Willie McCovey stepped up to the plate and hit a foul ball straight back behind home plate. I was still wearing my glove and reached up and caught the ball on a line drive. The crowd erupted in cheers and I got my first standing ovation. After the game we stood around waiting for autographs and Willie McCovey came out and got in his car. When I asked for his autograph he told me he didn't sign autographs when they lost the game, I told him I caught his foul ball and then he was more than happy to sign it for me. McCovey only played 11 games for the A's and the American league so it's kind of cool that I have an American League ball with his autograph on it. McCovey has since been inducted into the Hall of Fame and I feel that I have a great piece of memorabilia to show for it. I hope you catch a ball yourself some day. I have been to hundreds of games since that day and have yet to catch another ball.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

This is very odd.

I was going to post this - the earliest baseball memory I can recall dates back to what I thought was 1976. It was Carlos May of the Yankees, hitting an inside-the-park grand slam. Mickey Rivers, Willie Randolph, and Roy White scored.

The memory is unbelievably vivid with me. I watched it on the TV in the spare bedroom in my house. My father and grandfather were there. Phil Rizzuto was screaming about an inside-the-park grand slam.

Except I just looked it up, and it never happened.

-Al

Old 07-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Drouillard

When I was a kid bedtime was a strict 8:00. But on summer evenings I would sneak out of bed after my younger brothers were asleep. I would creep downstairs and hide in a dark corner of the portico, as my dad listened to Tiger baseball game out on the front porch. He sat there in his undershirt, in the cool dark, sipping a beer and fidling with the antena of his portable radio trying to get a clear reception. From my hiding spot, between the radio's crackling, I could hear Ernie Harwell's comentary. I remember chuckling softly when Ernie would crow, "Strike three... and he just stood there, like a fence on the side of the road."

My dad would never acknowledge that I was there except to repeat loudly the Yankee score; especially, when the broadcaster announced New York was losing.

Joe

Old 07-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

My earliest memories of baseball are eating sunflower seeds in our front yard with the (grown up) next door neighbor listening to the Astros on the radio. It must have been about 1967......those were great days....right after that I started little league and remember learning to catch pop ups. Our coach, on the first day of the season, told us to line up the ball on our forehead when catching it...You know the next thing.....I got hit right on the forehead with the pop up after missing the ball....but in the end it works and that is the way I teach youngsters today...

Old 07-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Silver King

Are you sure it wasn't 1971? Carlos May hit one in 71.

Hello Baseball Fever,

Here is one that you won't find many places! A comprehensive list of every Major League player who hit an inside-the-park home run while the bases were loaded.

Without further delay I present the members of the Inside-the-Park Grand Slam Club :

10/03/1999 Randy Winn TBA
07/21/1999 Tony Womack ARI
05/03/1998 Dan Wilson SEA
06/26/1997 Tony Gwynn SDN
08/28/1991 Chico Walker CHN
09/01/1990 Mike Greenwell BOS
08/30/1990 Ron Karkovice CHA
08/14/1990 Luis Polonia CAL
06/02/1989 Junior Felix TOR
06/21/1987 Bob Brower TEX
06/09/1985 Terry Pendleton SLN
07/19/1982 Tom Brunansky MIN
09/26/1980 Ben Oglivie MIL
06/10/1979 Jim Essian OAK
08/05/1977 Frank Taveras PIT
06/26/1976 Bombo Rivera MON
06/22/1976 Kevin Bell CHA
08/26/1973 Paul Blair BAL
09/18/1971 Carlos May CHA
09/02/1971 Cesar Cedeno HOU
09/02/1970 Gene Alley PIT
05/30/1970 Roberto Pena MIL
06/25/1967 Rick Reichardt CAL
07/20/1965 Mel Stottlemyre NYA
06/09/1963 Tim McCarver SLN
08/08/1961 Gary Geiger BOS
08/25/1960 Willie Mays SFN
07/06/1960 Bob Skinner PIT
06/04/1960 Wally Moon LAN

Old 07-21-2007, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

Didn't Honus Wagner do that about 5 times?

Old 07-21-2007, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I saw that, May hit one in 1971 with the Chisox.

This was definitely the Yankees, and I was only 2 years old in 1971.

I figure it was either an error by an outfielder, or I am insane.

Could go either way.

-Al

Old 07-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

Another good question, Sean! Watching Willie Mays hit a home run on TV is my very first baseball memory. In the summer of 1955 when I was five I was at my friend's house and his dad was watching a NY Giants game on TV (they only had black-and-white TV then). Mays had just hit a home run. I asked him why he didn't keep running around the bases again so he would get more runs, and he explained that you only get to score once on a home run. I have a million more baseball memories but that is the first. I have been a Giants fan ever since.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

August 23, 1969 for my 9th birthday seeing Ron Santo and Jim Hickman hitting back to back home runs against the Houston Astros. I have been hooked as a Cub fan ever since that day. Wrigley is an awesome place.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I remember as a yute in NY, everyone made a big deal out of Mays, and it seemed that nobody noticed Dark or Irvin (both of whom I thought were better). Then they traded Dark for that light hitting infielder, Schoendinst. I still don't understand that. But I do understand everyone else thinking that Mays was special...I guess that I am not always right.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Kalafarski

My Dad took me to Fenway in either 1950 or '51 (I was born in '45) and took me to the left field corner, lifted me up against the rail; I waved to Ted Williams and he waved back. I remember going to the store (Harry and Rosie's in Providence) to buy '51 Topps. I remember kids had Ruth Goudeys in their stack of pitching cards as we used to call them. I remember going to the movies across the street and Ted would have a small clip talking about the Jimmy Fund.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: William Heitman

This thread is just irresistible. My very earliest memories of baseball are the smell of hot dogs, beer and peanuts as we entered Edmonds Field in Sacramento in the early '50's along with the cracks of the bat amidst all of the chatter that came from the field as we made our way to our box seats on the third base side of home plate. Oh--I remember the players and many of the plays, but no matter how old I get, I will never forget the smells and sounds of the ballpark when I was just a very small boy.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glyn Parson

Sitting on my parents bedroom floor watching the Pirates comeback form down 3 games -1 to beat the Orioles. Even though this took days it is one lumped together memory for me. This has made me a lifelong Pittsburgh Pirates Fan. My first memory of playing baseball was with my friend, Mike Mitchell, in his sideyard. Great question, Sean.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Well it's a good thing Leon didn't ban you Sean.

I remember going to the ballpark on a Sunday and watching the Giants play the hated Dodgers. Candlestick was the only ballpark that would be freezing cold in the middle of a sunny day. Anyway, my father was a lifelong Giants fan, but he became very despondent because ballplayers were making too much money.

He couldn't believe that Mays, Marichal, and McCovey were making over a $100,000 each and continued to only end up in second place each year.

Peter

Old 07-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

this is a great thread sean.
regarding earlier posts, i think the inside the park grand slam by kevin bell was in his first major league ab.
silver king, foul balls are a statistical improbability....i have been to almost 500 games (i worked at wrigley for 5 years) and have never gotten anything other than a BP ball. i do have quite a few of those as employees were allowed in well before the public.
that's a wonderful piece of personal baseball history, and the post-game autograph makes it all the more special.

my first recollection of baseball is saying home from school (sick or whatever) and watching the cubs on wgn. i can't tell you the game, or even the year (mid 70's).... just enjoying jack brickhouse call the game. i wished i could stay home all spring and couldn't wait until school was out so i could enjoy day baseball.

my first live game was a summer camp outing, the cubs were playing the pirates and rennie stennett went 7 for 7. i didn't see the last hit, as the camp bus had to leave.....i think that was 1975.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

The first major league game I went to was the Red Sox and Royals in Kansas City. It was either in 1979 or 1980. Yaz got a couple of hits in the game but the highlight was Willie Wilson. Willie was leading off and hits an inside the park homerun for the only score of the game.

The A's winning the World Series and spraying champagne all over the place in the 70's is my first baseball memory.

Glyn, being an Orioles fan it took me 20 years to get over that World Series. I followed the Orioles religiously that year. I still hate that song, what was it again?

Old 07-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Clint

Using the SABR HR database (http://www.sabr.org), it was August 25, 1979

ROYALS 1ST: Wilson hit an inside the park homer to left; McRae
walked; Brett grounded out (second to first) [McRae to second];
Porter walked; LaCock grounded out (second to first) [McRae to
third, Porter to second]; Cowens grounded out (shortstop to
first); 1 R, 1 H, 0 E, 2 LOB. Red Sox 0, Royals 1.

The boxscore is linked through http://www.retrosheet.org

Max

Old 07-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Thanks Max! My family would go on fishing trips near Kansas City and my dad and I would go to the baseball card shows in Overland Park, KS. If we were lucky my parents would take us to a Royals game. Those were great times.

Thanks Sean, great topic.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chuck

I remember eating cereal (Post apparently...maybe Rice Krinkles; they were one of my favorites) in 1961 or 1962 when I was three or four that had pictures of baseball players on the back of the box.