NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Default Stink bomb smell continues on another 52T mantle

Posted By: vetekbob

For those who cant afford this card from the most reputable dealer ever on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46158&item=5186601748&rd=1

you can check out his other 52t mantle

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73435&item=5187241110&rd=1

Does anyone else share my view that ebay should not allow private bidder auctions unless its from a major auction house going thru ebay and there is no doubt on that fact?

I really dont see how Ebay can turn its eye to sellers like this when they are supposedly so concerned with making Ebay and good and safe place for everyone. IF the seller ACTUALLY has the PSA 6 MANTLE in his possession and the holder has not been tampered with in any way and he is on the up and up, WHY turn good potential buyers away with such an auction seeing how a PSA6 recently sold on ebay for 18,8K? Ebay is a great venue even with the bad sellers that are around but I think its time for Ebay to get serious and do some house cleaning.

Old 04-17-2005, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Mantle and 52 Topps cards have no place on this forum. Please stop posting about this card. You've already started one thread, that's more than enough. Thanks for your cooperation.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 04-17-2005, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

Jay,

With all due respect, and meaning no harm at all. The 1952 Topps Mantle, much like the man himself, is a classic. Sure Mickey had his problems with the booze, but during his bouts with liver cancer, he was very adiment about his problems. Mickey, never tried to hide his problems. He always spoke out about alchol abuse, and told his fans," Don't be like me" (AP quote). Much like Dimaggio, Mantle had class. Class at its purest form. Also, in the Beckett magazine, Dr. James Beckett defines "VINTAGE" as ANY CARD PRE- 1973.THERFORE, the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle # 311, WAS, IS, AND ALWAYS WILL BE considered "VINTAGE".

Best Regards,

Adam J. Moraine

Old 04-17-2005, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: david

for the sake of this board we define vintage at pre world war two. unless there was an unresolved conflict with japan in the pacific front that went unresolved until 1952 can we keep the discussion to vintage cards

Old 04-17-2005, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scottopotamus

...unless there was an unresolved conflict with japan in the pacific front that went unresolved until 1952...

By that standard, we could include everything up until 1974 when Hiroo Onoda, the last Japanese soldier in the Pacific, was finally convinced WWII was over.

</end tongue in cheek smart aleck comment>

Scottoptamus
My T206 Web Site

http://www.freewebs.com/scottopotamus

Old 04-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Adam,

In spite of what Dr. Beckett says, a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle (not that there's anything wrong with that, as Seinfeld would say) WASN'T, ISN'T, AND NEVER WILL BE considered "VINTAGE" on this board.

Surely there's a board somewhere that agrees with your pre-1973 definition, but please don't start posting about 1972 Topps cards here.

Thanks,

-Ryan

Old 04-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

Since some folks around here are pretty sensitive about keeping the subject matter on this board to Pre-World War Two, does anybody know of a good board that discusses Bowman and early Topps? I've searched for one but with no luck. I collect primarily Goudeys, Diamond Stars, Play Balls and Bowmans. I enjoy reading the comments on this board, but this is primarily a Pre-World War One board. Still, as far as I can tell, it's the best baseball card board that exists. It is my belief that the cards from the 30s and early 40s have at least as much in common with the Bowmans and early Topps as they do with cards from the tobacco card era. Personally, I'd love see this board discuss cards as late as 1957. But I guess you have to draw the line somewhere. Any ideas?

Old 04-17-2005, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

it seems to me the focus of the post was just that: the fake card, not the collectible card. As such, isn't the topic permissable? Just asking.

Old 04-17-2005, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

With all due respect this board really isn't for '52 Topps or '52 anything for that matter. An occassional off topic post is ok from regular participants. I believe there are some Beckett boards and Collectors Universe boards that talk about the newer stuff. This board will continue to be primarily pre-WWII baseball cards, as it says in the description of the board...again, regular participants get slack on stuff.........regards