NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Interest in Baseball Hall of Fame Rookies Guide
Yes, I would be interested in buying a copy 46 43.81%
I am interested in this area of collecting but not sure if I would buy the guide 31 29.52%
No, I am not interested in this topic enough to make a purchase 28 26.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2015, 06:20 AM
Phil Garry

Default Baseball Hall of Fame Rookies Guide

Based on the recent discussions on Net 54 concerning Baseball Hall of Fame Rookie Cards & Collectables, I am considering putting together a comprehensive guide, along with a couple of fellow Net 54 members, which will contain photos and pricing of rookie cards and collectables of every Baseball Hall of Fame member, up to and including the Class of 2015.

Before starting to work on this project, I would like to gauge how many Net 54 members would be interested in buying a copy of the book when it is completed. I am envisioning the format to be similar to the Negro League Baseball Collectables Guide that I published last year. Expected to be included are traditional cards, postcards, photos, etc. Let's assume for now that the price point would be $29.95 plus shipping and the book should be somewhere around 250 - 300 pages, with all color photos.

I am able to do small print runs of 100 copies each so I would like to determine if there is enough interest just on our board here for me to get the ball rolling.

Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions you may have at: vguerrerobb@yahoo.com or you can simply post them here in this thread.

Thanks!

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 01-15-2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:43 AM
Nick C

Hey Phil,

I think the idea is great but I think a lot of people have variations of what they prefer as a rookie card. I know some collectors are intrigued and pursue first issue cards while others pursue first major league cards (sort of a minor league set vs. Topps issue). I think if the book classified every card that can be considered a rookie it will definitely be of interest.

So for example if you were to use Rickey Henderson the book should document possible rookie options such as:
-Chong Modesto A's
-Ogden
-Topps

Let me know if that makes sense,
-Nick
Old 01-13-2015, 06:46 AM
Phil Garry

You got it, Nick. There will be different rookie card options for every HOF'er and the collector can choose what they prefer to go after. At least the collector can make an informed decision with photos and pricing available. The differences between rookie cards, pre-rookie cards, earliest collectibles, etc. will be clearly defined and explained as well.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 01-13-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:59 AM
Nick C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
You got it, Nick. There will be different rookie card options for every HOF'er and the collector can choose what they prefer to go after. At least the collector can make an informed decision with photos and pricing available. The differences between rookie cards, pre-rookie cards, earliest collectibles, etc. will be clearly defined and explained as well.
Sounds awesome Phil.

As well as a lot of work. Let me know if you need help and I'd be more than happy to help.

Thanks,
-Nick
Old 01-13-2015, 07:03 AM
Dan Paradis

Phil,

This would be great. Would it really just be cards or would it include: pins, stickers, etc identified as rookie cards? If it truly only included cards, I would be interested.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2015, 07:08 AM
Phil Garry

Dan:

There would be at least one traditional card option for every HOF'er. In addition, there will be many other types of collectibles to choose from as well.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:11 AM
Frank Hay-zer

This sounds great! Put me down for a copy. -Frank
Old 01-13-2015, 09:52 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Hey Phil,

Would love a copy as that's my niche. I have my own "list" buy wouldn't mind seeing this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2015, 10:11 AM
Jimi

Wow....so this is how I find out I'm no longer included? nice....
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 01-13-2015, 10:23 AM
Tim Sanders

Default Hard Copy is nice

But I would almost prefer it as an ebook with the addition of a checklist that can be used for tracking etc. That would not stop me from buying the book either way!
Old 01-13-2015, 10:36 AM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimivintage View Post
Wow....so this is how I find out I'm no longer included? nice....
That's not how it went down...Phil emailed me today. Thought we'd all connect again to see if you'd still be interested. Phil posted this to get the ball rolling and to gauge interest. I dont think this can be a two (or even three man show), although there's only so much input we can get before it gets overwhelming.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 01-13-2015, 10:48 AM
Jimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
That's not how it went down...Phil emailed me today. Thought we'd all connect again to see if you'd still be interested. Phil posted this to get the ball rolling and to gauge interest. I dont think this can be a two (or even three man show), although there's only so much input we can get before it gets overwhelming.
OK, Derek...this really caught me off guard as you can probably imagine.
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 01-13-2015, 10:52 AM
Phil Garry

Jimi:

Good to hear from you, like Derek said, before things move forward, I want to make sure there is enough interest in this topic to begin work. I know that you have been accumulating scans and spreadsheet info for a long time in preparation for this.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
OK, Derek...this really caught me off guard as you can probably imagine.
Would it be ok if Phil retracted his statement?

Last edited by Leon; 01-13-2015 at 10:54 AM. Reason: add smiley
Old 01-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Jimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Long story short....this has been a 3-man project for awhile now, but for several personal issues between us (work and family mostly), it's been tough to get this thing going in full force. It may not seem like it, but this is a massive undertaking.

- 310 HOFers now (not counting writers and broadcasters...but do we include them?)
- What's a RC? Collectible? And do we attempt to include it all?
- How should we collect appropriate data and then compile it in an easy to read format with no collectibles left out and (hopefully) adequate pictures?
- How much will this project ultimately cost? And do we create an online resource as well? If so, we are talking about a whole other animal.
- Most of this is "for love of the game" and we'd want this to be something that we can all enjoy, and yet be a solid resource for everyone.

For the record....I was "caught off guard" because I hadn't realize there was a resurgence for this project. I'm happy to help in anyway I can, Phil and Derek. Sorry for the abrupt comment, as it was not warranted.
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 01-13-2015, 11:40 AM
Phil Garry

No problem, Jimi. Your input will make a huge difference on this project.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Long story short....this has been a 3-man project for awhile now, but for several personal issues between us (work and family mostly), it's been tough to get this thing going in full force. It may not seem like it, but this is a massive undertaking.

- 310 HOFers now (not counting writers and broadcasters...but do we include them?)
- What's a RC? Collectible? And do we attempt to include it all?
- How should we collect appropriate data and then compile it in an easy to read format with no collectibles left out and (hopefully) adequate pictures?
- How much will this project ultimately cost? And do we create an online resource as well? If so, we are talking about a whole other animal.
- Most of this is "for love of the game" and we'd want this to be something that we can all enjoy, and yet be a solid resource for everyone.

For the record....I was "caught off guard" because I hadn't realize there was a resurgence for this project. I'm happy to help in anyway I can, Phil and Derek. Sorry for the abrupt comment, as it was not warranted.
it was a (poor) attempt at humor.....
Old 01-13-2015, 12:48 PM
Jimi

Quote:
it was a (poor) attempt at humor.....
LOL....You're fine, Leon. I vented too quickly. Back to your regularly scheduled program....
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 01-13-2015, 12:57 PM
D0NN1E B

I love the idea... I would buy the book.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Daryl

Quote:
I'm surprised that it took 14 posts before retract-gate was brought up!

FWIW, I would also be interested in the book.

Last edited by 4815162342; 01-13-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
I love the idea... I would buy the book.
+1. It would, however, be of significant interest to me if the book, as noted in several comments above, included (1) not just first cards, i.e., minor league cards, but first major league cards; (2) inclusion of all rookie cards where there are more than one--for example, Ty Cobb's several 1907 postcard issues; and (3) where there is any dispute with regard to which issue is in fact the rookie--see Lefty Grove, for example, or perhaps Jimmie Foxx or Ralph Kiner--recognition of the existence of that dispute.

Sounds like a great reference source!

Highest regards,

Larry
Old 01-13-2015, 03:38 PM
Rich Klein

If and when this tome is complete and if and when we receive a copy, we will do a review on this just as we did on Dr. Partin's book.

Rich
Old 01-14-2015, 11:38 AM

Hi Phil,

Some other people might be thinking what I'm thinking...I already have access to most of this for free on Old Cardboard's website:

http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/rookies/rookieslist.asp

So I'm interested in hearing what information I would be getting for $30 that is better than that? Besides the benefits (to each his own) of having a physical book to look at, of course.

Good luck with the project!

Cheers,
Blair
Old 01-14-2015, 05:33 PM
Nick C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
Hi Phil,

Some other people might be thinking what I'm thinking...I already have access to most of this for free on Old Cardboard's website:

http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/rookies/rookieslist.asp

So I'm interested in hearing what information I would be getting for $30 that is better than that? Besides the benefits (to each his own) of having a physical book to look at, of course.

Good luck with the project!

Cheers,
Blair
I think you raise a good point Blair. Old Cardboard did a great job with this list and gave multiple options for every player. Definitely a great resource.

-Nick
Old 01-15-2015, 01:47 AM
Phil Garry

Hey, Blair:

Fair question, here is my response:

All of the info on the Old Cardboard website is accessible for free thanks to the dedication and willingness to share information of a longtime hobby icon, Lyman Hardemann. Collectors realize this and many support his magazine via subscription. Based on what Lyman charges for his subscription, I doubt that he is doing much more than breaking even on it after his printing costs, shipping, etc.

As far as the Baseball Hall of Fame Rookie Cards webpage on Old Cardboard, that information is out there, also for free, because a collector who loves that facet of the hobby put in the necessary years of research and accumulated images over time and wished to share all of that info with fellow hobbyists in an effort to promote that segment of the hobby so that more can enjoy it. Knowledge is power and many collectors would have used it for self-serving purposes and left everyone else "in the dark" but that was not the case here.

Moving forward to today, the opportunity to put all of this info, plus lots more, into book form gives hobbyists an opportunity to recognize and support all of the years of research and hard work that was involved in this project. As I mentioned before, I expect printing costs of the book to run about $30 and my expected sales price is also $30 so not much money being made here. I am just looking to share the information with fellow hobbyists.

Anyway, I apologize for the long winded response but, hopefully, everyone can identify with where I am coming from and I really appreciate all of the positive comments and support thus far from all of you guys. Derek, Jimi and I are looking forward to putting out a reference tool that will be the first of its kind in the hobby. More details about the book will be forthcoming as things are still in the planning stage. Once available, this info will be shared with board members so that everyone can make an informed decision on whether or not their money will be well spent on purchasing a copy of this guide.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 01-15-2015 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:41 AM
John Startleman

It would be cool if it had EVERY "rookie" collectible from any given Hall of Famer, including all cards, etc. Choosing what is the "best" rookie item is subjective, so show them all.

Last edited by sportscardtheory; 01-15-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:58 AM
Phil Garry

John:

ALL rookie options will be included for each HOF'er. We are also talking about including a "level of scarcity" for each collectible so hobbyists have a better idea of what they are facing if they choose to hunt down a specific item.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 01-15-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:49 AM
Mike

Default I would buy one

I would pick up a copy of this when it comes out. I still prefer books over online when possible. I hope you are able to get this done. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Belltown Vintage

I would need to see a copy of the final product, or read a review from someone who has a deep interest in the area. I think editing and proof-reading are paramount for something like this, and it would be good for Phil to solicit feedback from his last book and incorporate suggestions;e.g-clearer images, more exhaustive index, etc.

Having said that, Phil's prices are very fair for the physical product he creates.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Larry

Quote:
John:

ALL rookie options will be included for each HOF'er. We are also talking about including a "level of scarcity" for each collectible so hobbyists have a better idea of what they are facing if they choose to hunt down a specific item.
That sounds terrific, Phil--I am always looking for other learned opinions regarding this type of info. Definitely count me in!

Best wishes always,

Larry
Old 03-12-2015, 07:57 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Damn. In my absence, I missed this thread. It's obviously my area of interest, but I'm not sure if I'd need to buy a copy. I think it would be great for someone looking to start a HOF rookie collection(or at least expand theirs into pre-war) and would cut out alot of the research that guys like myself, and the other usual suspects on this page had to do. I will concede that much of my research was made easy by piggybacking off of Phil's work though. Derek's collection helped identify some of the more oddball stuff too. Thank you guys!!!

Either way. I love the idea of the book, either in published or online form.

Any change at an extra chapter on those few crossover HOF rookies? You know, guys that have been elected to ANY other HOF, who happened to have also played baseball and had a card...

Also, if you need scans of anything, let me know.

Last edited by novakjr; 03-12-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:12 AM
Phil Garry

Dave:

Thank you for the kind words. We may be able to include the crossover HOF info in some form as an appendix item. Due to printing costs, we had to draw the line somewhere so we have opted to stick with strictly the Baseball HOF'ers. It is also tempting to include guys like Rose, Shoeless Joe, etc. and we may include some of those types of guys as an appendix item as well.

As an aside, I have begun to compile a rookie card database of sorts for all four major sports, baseball, football, basketball and hockey. I am pretty good with info on the baseball and football side but if there are any experts in the areas of basketball rookies and hockey rookies that would like to assist in this project, please PM or e-mail me at: vguerrerobb@yahoo.com. I can use as much help as I can get in these areas, especially vintage hockey cards.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 03-12-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:41 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Very interesting. Just when i am getting my feet wet into RC collecting.
I'd buy a book, whens the book signing?
Old 03-12-2015, 04:46 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Dave:

Thank you for the kind words. We may be able to include the crossover HOF info in some form as an appendix item. Due to printing costs, we had to draw the line somewhere so we have opted to stick with strictly the Baseball HOF'ers. It is also tempting to include guys like Rose, Shoeless Joe, etc. and we may include some of those types of guys as an appendix item as
Worst case, if you do wind up doing crossovers as an appendix item. Rose and Uecker are in the WWE hall of fame..