NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-03-2003, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Default Fort Washington

Posted By: Big-Six

Always a great show..Plenty of t207's but no candy(e)cards. A couple of e90-1 Jackson's in the 3 grand range. I did met Mike Williams from vintage corner Who I believe ran the old vintage talk board..What a Great Guy!!!

Old 03-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Default Fort Washington

Posted By: quan

was the Jax raw or graded? What condition? Would you have their contact info?

Old 03-03-2003, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Default Fort Washington

Posted By: TBob

How were they selling? What conditions? What prices? Just wondering if it looked like collector interest was really taking off on these cards, or if they were overpriced and just sitting. I don't suppose you managed to hook the Ward Miller, did you?

Old 03-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Default Fort Washington

Posted By: joggerdru

There were the usual 5 or 6 dealers Verkmam, Wheat, Carrafiell, Barnett etc with T207's. Mostly commons no tough cards at least not when i was there. Prices were reasonable.
I did find one card that i needed so now i'm down to eight.
Always a good show i saw 2 1933/34 Lajoie's at one guys table not for sale though. A ton of fan craze cards, T206's, some real nice sporting life cards
that were from the "philly find". Not many e cards though.
Drew

Old 03-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Default Fort Washington

Posted By: Mike Williams

Ramblings and such...

A noticible lack of "E" cards (however, I did pick up and E90-1 Speaker). In general, I thought there was a lack of type collector stuff. Mostly mainstream vintage material and a ton of stuff from the 50's/60's. Saturday was busy, Sunday was dead. The traffic at the 4-5 grading booths seemed slow. SGC seems to get the lions share with a good many of those being crossovers (hmmmm!).

Spoke to Derek Grady from Mastro (formally SGC) for a while, good guy with a solid grasp on the state of our hobby. I also had a chance to talk with Scott of SGC (I'm assuming he's taken over for Derek)....another good guy, very easy to talk to and appears like he knows what he's doing. I submitted a few cards to SGC and all were fairly graded.

Had a chance to meet some good folks that post here....as well as some that always outbid me in eBay. It always seems like such a "small world" when you go to shows these days.

All in all a good show....but I did get the feeling that things seem to be drying up a bit.

Take care all!

Old 03-04-2003, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Default Fort Washington

Posted By: julian

I went to the show all three days. It was nice to see everybody again since last year. I bought three T200 Fatima's, Philadelphia Athletics, Phillies, and the Pittsburgh Pirates. I bought them from the same dealer, "Vintage Cards- Rand & Alice Bailey," from West Virginia. Surprisingly, they had a lot of early vintage stuff from Cabinets, Post Cards, and Vintage Baseball cards. I also purchased an 1921 E121 Harry Heilmann SGC 5.5, very sweet, and a tough hall of famer to find in any condition.

I went home without the "piece" that made my Sunday. Originally, I didn't want to go on Sunday, but Sunday ended up being my best day. After I drove Andy Madec to the airport, he gave me his dealer badge to get in for the last day. I went again to Rand & Alice's table, and there it was, a post card from 1912 with Smokey Joe Wood, and Walter Johnson, shaking hands before the start of the series. A customer informed the pair that he could not afford the piece, I jumped right in after looking at this object in their cases. I went to SGC, and they went looking for Kevin Struss, and, forgive me if I'm wrong, Brian Bigelow, both of Mastro, for their input on this post card. SGC actually asked me if I knew anyone else in the building who was good with this type of stuff, I ended up dragging John Spencer over to give his view's on the piece. Around the elbow of Walter Johnson was the "copyright" seal. It read, 1912, and the photographer or someone after the date.

I'll have to wait to exclaim it a "minor" find, but take my word for it, it was a "striking" piece, one of a kind type. I hope, when SGC is done their research, I'll be able to put an image of it up on the board for viewing, and of course, discussion.

Big Thanks to John Spencer, and Mike Williams, and my good buddies, Marc Perna-Vintage Investments, and Andy Madec, they kept me talking vintage baseball all weekend.

Old 03-04-2003, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Default Fort Washington

Posted By: Cy

Rand & Alice Bailey are truly a class act. They get very nice items, price them fairly and are always extremely courteous. If some of you don't know Rand, he usually has nice cards, mostly SGC graded and usually has great vintage cabinent photos and panaramic photos. Besides Fort Washington, Rand also does the Chantilly VA. shows, although he may miss this one. He told me he might go down to Spring training.

Regards,

Cy

Old 03-12-2003, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Default Fort Washington

Posted By: Julian

The nicest email to date for the calendar year, 2003.

Hello Julian,

Good news, the post card is an original 1912 Joe Wood/Walter Johnson
produced by The Photo Art Shop. The card will be graded and shipped today.
Thank you for allowing me to do the proper research on this interesting
piece of baseball history.

Take care,

Scott

Let's just say, I enjoyed myself at the most recent Ft. Washington Card Show, Feb. 28-Mar. 2.

Old 03-12-2003, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Default Fort Washington

Posted By: Julian

Once I receive the graded card from SGC, I'll post an image of it on the "board."

Old 03-14-2003, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Default Fort Washington

Posted By: Julian Fernandez

Old 03-14-2003, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Default Fort Washington

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Julian,

What an amazing postcard! Huge eye appeal. Looks great in the SGC holder as well. Great pick up.

-Ryan

Old 03-15-2003, 03:13 AM
Administrator

Default Fort Washington

Posted By: bgafd

Amazing. Ok...what did it cost?

Old 03-15-2003, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Default Fort Washington

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

Shoot---score!!!!
I've looked at it 6-7 times now, can't take my eyes off of it. Did you learn anything else about the producer of this gem?

Old 03-15-2003, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Default Fort Washington

Posted By: RobertS

According to a 1998 sports postcard price guide, this card was made in Swampscott, Mass. and was accompanied by a team postcard of the 1912 Red Sox.

The guide -- which includes extremely low prices as compared with baseball card price guide prices -- lists the Wood and Johnson card at a high price of $125 and the Sox team card at a high price of $250.

That said, these prices are both old and low. Remember, postcard collectors typically pay lower prices than baseball collectors -- often for the same item.

It's an amazing postcard which likely would sell for a high price in a Hunt auction (which has sold many old baseball postcards recently), for example.

BTW, if anyone is interested in baseball postcards, check out : http://www.vintageball.com/Postcards.html . The player postcard gallery, in particular, may be of interest.

Old 03-15-2003, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Default Fort Washington

Posted By: Big-Six

At a high price of $125....I'll take two! Nice item Julian. By the way, The black arm band on Johnson's Arm-Who Died?

Old 03-15-2003, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Default Fort Washington

Posted By: Ben

That's a gorgeous image. I never noticed this about Johnson before, but he has amazingly long arms and really skinny wrists!

Old 03-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Default Fort Washington

Posted By: TBob

By the way, The black arm band on Johnson's Arm-Who Died?>

Addie Joss.

Old 03-15-2003, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Default Fort Washington

Posted By: julian

I paid a little more than the 1998 postcard price guide value for this card, about 5x's that amount. I too couldn't keep my eyes off of it when I first saw it, like "love at first site," I was drawn in towards it. I lucked out, like I said earlier, someone else had a shot at it, but turned it down. It's the nicest depection of Joe Wood that I have ever seen, and most probably, at the time of the picture, the best of times for Joe Wood. He out pitched the "Big Train" in this particular game, and went on to win three games in the series.