NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-06-2016, 12:00 PM

Default This grading gets a grade of F

I have purchased from this seller in the past with no issues, but wow is his grading of cards extremely loose. Check out what qualifies for Vg+...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-WORLD-W...4AAOSwmLlX3zMc

As the saying goes, buy the card, not the grader.

Brian
Old 11-06-2016, 12:29 PM
Dave

That's why scans are great, you don't have to take the word of the grader. Most of us still remember the Wild West of SCD back in the day, when you bought cards based on the arbitrary grade given by the seller, and nothing more.

I still remember when I was 14 or so, I ended up sending back a 58' Mantle listed in VG+ condition, that looked like it had born the brunt of a Black & Decker power sander to the front of the card.

I got my money back, but I was pretty gutted. I had spent months saving up the money for that and a 54T Ted Williams that I ended up keeping, but wasn't happy about that one either.

In my depression, I probably ended up blowing the money I got back on a bunch of new Rack-Packs at Kay-Bee Toy Store.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:40 PM
Fred

Didn't you guys read the listing, it indicates "Experienced Seller". If fleabay says the person is experienced, then who are we to judge?
Old 11-06-2016, 01:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think it's only vg.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:02 PM

Default Submitted for accuracy

I believe the '+' indicates no power tools were used in the destruction of the card.

Brian
Old 11-06-2016, 02:32 PM

I bet the seller might be wondering why this card went from 9 views to 124 views in just a couple of hours. Must be that 1934 World Wide Gum HOF cards in Vg+ are hot now.

Brian
Old 11-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
That's why scans are great, you don't have to take the word of the grader. Most of us still remember the Wild West of SCD back in the day, when you bought cards based on the arbitrary grade given by the seller, and nothing more.

I still remember when I was 14 or so, I ended up sending back a 58' Mantle listed in VG+ condition, that looked like it had born the brunt of a Black & Decker power sander to the front of the card.

I got my money back, but I was pretty gutted. I had spent months saving up the money for that and a 54T Ted Williams that I ended up keeping, but wasn't happy about that one either.

In my depression, I probably ended up blowing the money I got back on a bunch of new Rack-Packs at Kay-Bee Toy Store.
sadly, not on uncut super sheets or gorgeous football cello packs

and Lombardi may be a poor minus REPRINT too. ha

Last edited by GrayGhost; 11-06-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:20 PM
K!ya S@bet

Its also $10
Old 11-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksabet View Post
Its also $10
the issue is the condition description, not the price. lol
Old 11-06-2016, 08:03 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I'd say the grade of VG is correct, as in Very Gnarled

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 11-06-2016 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:54 PM

I preface my remarks in stating that I have made a vintage collecting career out of the $10.00 card. Fortunately my collecting spans back to 80's when $10 went a lot further.

A couple of things I have noticed since originally posting. First off, this is evidently not a $10.00 card, as no one has bitten the prior SIX times it was listed. Secondly the seller previously had another World Wide Goudey Lombardi (in my estimation fair condition would be a stretch, but still a somewhat decent looking card) listed as VG+. So it looks like he just reused the auction listing description and title and inserted new scans.

Brian (just to be fair and accurate)
Old 11-06-2016, 11:56 PM
David M.

I too remember the "wild west" days of SCD and depending on someone's description. I once bought a 1956 Topps set that way and had to return it to the seller. A Nm-Mt set was at best Vg-Vg+. I was sweating until I got that money back!
Old 11-07-2016, 05:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There was never any grading like Larry Frisch (RIP) grading. Oh the memories....

"But Larry, the corner is missing how is it EX?" Just sent it back and tell me why, for a refund, Larry would say. He never had an issue with refunds. I wonder if Battlefield....oh, never mind....
Old 11-07-2016, 08:42 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
sadly, not on uncut super sheets or gorgeous football cello packs

Yeah, those were the days Scott. Wish I had 1/2 the stuff now, that I did when I was a teenager digging up oddball stuff nobody really cared about then.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:59 AM
David L.

Huh. Let me know if anyone's interested in my gem mint DeLong Traynor.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:17 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There was never any grading like Larry Frisch (RIP) grading. Oh the memories....

"But Larry, the corner is missing how is it EX?" Just sent it back and tell me why, for a refund, Larry would say. He never had an issue with refunds. I wonder if Battlefield....oh, never mind....
I remember when the TPG services started and so many of the long time dealers kept saying how we didn't need people grading cards, and it would never work. I kept thinking that it was quite a coincidence that many of the dealers that were doing the most whining were dealers I had bought over-graded cards from.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:06 PM

Last edited by nat; 11-07-2016 at 07:07 PM.