NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Default What flaws do you spot on this Ruth?

Posted By: Steve

Randy this one thread did not make you guys look immature, many previous threads did that.

Matt I'll post where and when and what i want. Last week you wanted me to post what you said here there.

All of a sudden now you don't want me too? and fwiw a 'bro' is a man bra ala sienfeld.

Also, I did not post everything that you said here there. I simply stated that you now claimed
the card may have paper loss.

Steve

Old 04-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Stan

Matt(plifter),

Instead of keeping on playing this game, bouncing from one board to another, why not just get in touch with either PSA or SGC, and find out the real truth? Have them crack it from the GAI holder, inspect it, and render you a professional opinion.

FYI, the PSA board would not have been so hard on you had you not come on with ignorant posts about crazy grading conspiracies, how you were a weight lifter, and how tough you were(trying to intimidate board members who did not agree with your theories), saying you would take your life if this card was altered, ect, ect.. Crazy stuff!

You single handedly destroyed yourself over there, and then the dog pile began. You were given alot of sound advice in PMs, as well as in the threads you created. You will not listen to any reasoning or logic, and that is too bad.

The odds are very high that you got hosed on this card, but the only way to get to the bottom of it does not involve drama on card trading sites. Rather, if you have Kevin Saucier, SGC, or PSA, verify the card has problems, you might be able to have GAI buy it back under their guarantee. Not saying they will for sure, but what better do you have to do? Sit on a message board and continue to fuel a fight by smarting back and forth with people who do not agree with your wild ideas pertaining to grading?

I would love to see you get a positive resolution, but you will not heed to good advice, so I am not sure at this point if anyone can help you, if you do not want to help yourself, first.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Allen from CU

Your 'it has been illegal to buy a "bro" ever since the end of the Civil War' comment is racist. Maybe it is karma that got you burned on a $3K+ card? You have shown that you do not know much about cards, grading, scanners, slavery, tape, opening mail, weight lifting, steroids, man-boobage, bros, Seinfeld and probably a few other things I am leaving out. Take it as a lesson learned and keep the card in the GAI slab and unplug your computer forever.

To all the Net 54 guys, sorry this is my first post here. I am actually a pretty good board member on CU. My future posts here will be better. Thanks

Old 04-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Administrator

The longer this board listens to plifter, the more they will understand why he got the boot on the other site. His conspiracies and theories get old really fast.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Please put your name by your post as we don't know who you are. About the only 2 serious pet peeves, concerning Net54 rules and posting, are anonymity where there is any strong opinion or controversy and talking about someone's family. Either of those things are greatly frowned upon....Welcome to Net54 and let me know if I can ever help you in any way....best regards (leon aka moderator dude)

Old 04-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

Has GAI been contacted regarding this card?

For such a high profile card, I am sure they would entertain a 5 minute phone call - perhaps tell you specifically why they graded it as such.

Seems like a common sense thing to do - just call GAI.

steve

Old 04-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Administrator

For this specific post that will be fine but unless your last name is "from CU" then going forward, if you want to participate in these kinds of threads, we will need your real name. Again, nothing personal and it's all in the Forum Rules. It really does protect everyone. You wouldn't want someone talking smack about you and saying their name is "Bill from Net54", so it really is to protect everyone...and is a pain in the ass to enforce ...........take care now.....

Old 04-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Randy Trierweiler

Steve winpitcher, I wasn't taking a shot at you in my above post. It had more to do with the 'bro nonsense. Randy

Old 04-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Old 04-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

Steve,

I bet you're an extra-butter type of guy. Am I right?

Old 04-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Wolfie, you playing tonight? One hour to first deal.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

I'm planning on it.

C.C.'s pitching for the Tribe, too, so I'll likely be able to watch two train wrecks at one time.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

No flaws, great looking card and under graded, should be a 5 EX.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Dan, you must be looking at a different card than what was posted. No flaws? Really? Better look again..

Old 04-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Guess Stan don't know Dan.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Mr. Murray, I sure don't know Dan. What's the deal with him?

Edit: I done some searching, and answered my own question. I better understand what you meant about Dan, now.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Dan, I disagree. It seems like a 5.5 to me, no more, no less. Perhaps you're simply not looking close enough?

Old 04-23-2008, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

OK, folks

What are the results from a simple phone call to GAI?

Surely they must have given 5 minutes on the phone to discuss why they graded it the way they did.

Call GAI - would be good move

steve

Old 04-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt R

I now must confess, I really do not have an understanding of grading. How can people be sending in cards that are returned as trimmed. Then they send the same card back in and it comes back slabbed. I'm going to start buying everything raw and put it in my own slab. It doesn't sound like the "professionals" know what they are doing. How can a card be trimmed one time and not trimmed the next? These are the results of "professional graders"?

Old 04-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Adair

Tick tock. True colors are shining through. The countdown to meltdown has begun. It's only a matter of time.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Administrator

You're

Take the suggestions. Call GAI.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Jay is right, now you guys can see just one example of how plifter has no clue. Just like the sound advice given on the PSA board, some sound advice was given here. Once again, he ignores good advice, to make another stupid conspiracy theory remark about card grading.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Administrator

OK, I called GAI. They said they had no records regarding any grading decisions. They only have records of the actual grade that the card received. I felt stupid for calling them because I know that card had to have been graded at least 1 year ago (that's when I bought it) and it could have been going back to 7 years, or however long GAI has been running. Nobody there is going to remember that card. They only look at these things for less than a minute.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator

I understand your sentiments concerning plifter but you need to let it go. I will not allow unwarranted badgering of posters. By unwarranted I mean that unless he starts something with you personally on Net54 then you really need to chill out a little bit on the board. Also, per the forum rules you need to put your full name by your posts. Nothing personal and thanks much !!

Old 04-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Stan, here are two posts on this same thread that say that PSA just doesn't like to grade GAI cards I'll copy them below:

From Jim B.

That is a gorgeous card! I do not think it is trimmed. Unless there is some damage on the back or something imperceptible in the scan (like minor wrinkles), my guess is that its major flaw is that it is in a GAI holder. PSA does not like to grade GAI cards. It does not make sense to me, but... I think if you cracked it out of that holder you would have a legitimate shot at a PSA5, assuming there are no problems that can't be seen in the scan/
JimB

From Jim Lichtman:

"PSA does not like to grade GAI cards."

This has been my experience as well. Crack it out and send it in and you'll have a much better shot.

Are you going to start attacking them for their wild conspiracy theory?

Old 04-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Administrator

plif -

At this point I am unsure what you're still carrying on about or what specific result you are looking for. Many times over you've been presented with several sound and logical options to choose from.

The most reasonable one, being that you crack the card out and submit it raw to PSA, has been suggested atleast a dozen times to you on several message boards. It's clear that if you were to follow the appropriate steps, you would find some sort of resolution.

Yet, you still choose to go on and on about how PSA is out to get you and how they don't want to touch your card due to some sort of imaginary bias. It's become painfully obvious that you spent far more than you probably should have for one card. And now you are petrified to crack it at the risk of it being flat out rejected by PSA.

So, I will take the time to suggest to you (yet again) - Just take your card and place it, as is, in your display case that you've talked about. Regardless of the holder, regardless of opposing opinions it will still look nice proudly displayed in your home.

Past that I don't think anyone else can help you as you are unwilling to help yourself.

Jay

Old 04-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Administrator

If I think that a particular grading service is horrible, I will post about it if I choose to. This board isn't owned by any grading company so I think you will find a lot of people that agree with me. If you do not want to read my threads, drag your mouse away from my posts and click on something else instead.

As for PSA, many people have submitted a card pulled straight from a pack and PSA sends them back as being trimmed. Then you can submit a trimmed card and it gets slabbed. I've had a T-206 common come back as recolored. The card simply had an ink stain on the edge. I know for a fact that is what happened because the card had been in the family over 40 years. How many cards were deceptively recolored more than 40 years ago? People have sent the same card twice, the first time coming back as evidence of trimming. They send it in a second time and it gets slabbed. PSA/DNA rejected a Sue Bird autographed picture as being fake. I was talking to her while she signed it. I spent $100 the first time for their "Walk Through" service. My card didn't meet the minimum grade of 5. No explanation was provided. The second time I submitted it as a 4. I paid $60 for their 2 day service. The post office delivered it to them 3 days before they entered it into their system. Then it took the full 2 days to get it graded. Then they mailed it the next day. My 2 day service turned into nearly 6. All of this and still no explanation for why it didn't make the grade.

Then they boot me off of their message board despite the fact that I'm a paying member.

I've given PSA a chance. I am not impressed with their service. I do not feel that they are competent enough to provide the service that they are selling.

The only other grading service I've used is BGS. They were OK. At least you get half of an explanation by having the grade of surface, corners, etc.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Matt(plifter),

You have issues that none of us are going to be able to resolve for you. Personally, and with this card. I will leave it at that, and let it go.

Leon,

While I respect your outlook and will obey your wishes, everything I said pertaining to Matt is true. When a person says stuff like they will kill themself if the card they bought was altered, trying to intimidate folks on various message boards, ect, ect.. That is not a very stable individual, in my opinion.

Give it time, and he will reveal the true Matt on here, too. He has done it on other boards, repeatedly.

Leon, like I said, I will obey your wishes from this point on.

Edit: Spelling

Old 04-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

These types of threads only move me further to the Dan McKee school of thought (scary huh?). Cards should be given an "A" if authentic and rejected if not authentic...everything else is subjective.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt Ranson

So Stan, how does your post pertain to vintage cards? That is the topic of this forum. It is not here to "attack" Matt. I think the regular members of this board will observe how you and Allen followed me from the PSA board to this forum to stir up trouble and will see that it is you that causes problems. You haven't posted anything relevant. All of your posts have been attacks on me.

Are you going to the National Convention this year? If so, perhaps we can meet up and discuss this face to face. I would really enjoy that. Maybe I'll just crack my Ruth out submit it to SGC at the convention.

By the way, how old are you?

Old 04-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

"It is not here to "attack" Matt."

from one Matt to another; I have found the purpose of some posters on this forum is indeed to "attack Matt."

Old 04-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Administrator

I am not really agreeing or disagreeing with you. No need to. I am only saying what is permitted and not permitted on this board. Even if what you say is the truth you would need to be known to say these kinds of things. We'll let it go for now. I appreciate your understanding and participation on the board....
Very many folks on this board have similar issues with PSA.....although I don't think there is any conspiracy of any type they do seem to make a few more errors than SGC in the vintage space...imo...(yes, SGC is an advetiser here so there is that bias from me....but what I say I would say anyway)....and SGC, most auction company advertisers, and myself have all been taken to task on Net54. That is ok but the anonymity rule comes into play. regards

Old 04-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Leon -

The text I am bolding next is a prime example of what Matt (Plifter) has done on other boards, resulting is his being banned, and was only a matter of time before he did here. Threatening other members with what he thinks are slick, cute little remarks ........

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt Ranson
(Login plifter) Re: What flaws do you spot on this Ruth? April 23 2008, 4:50 PM

Are you going to the National Convention this year? If so, perhaps we can meet up and discuss this face to face. I would really enjoy that.

By the way, how old are you?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It's pathetic that he actually thinks his "Internet tough guy" routine works. I'm just glad that one forum saw through his veiled threats and banned him.

Granted, some people have harsher words for him than others. But it's obvious that he is not here to take anyone's advice. He simply wants people to agree with his conspiracy theories. And is you don't? The threats start rolling.

Matt, you are a pathetic little man. That is my honest opinion of you. Sorry if that hurts you're pride. Please, take your card and enjoy it. While you're at it please take the time to reflect on the things that are truly important in life. Embrace that which makes you a better person and turn away from the things that have obviously skewed your ability to rationally process information.

Good day to you,
Jay

Edit: Bold tags

Old 04-23-2008, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim

So when do you just accept the fact that the card may have already received the highest grade it is going to get?

If grading is subjective as most of us agree than why shouldn't your opinion be as potentially flawed as the professional graders you disagree with? Especially considering your admitted lack of grading knowledge.

I do feel that for the money most people pay the grading services and the time they are supposed to take inspecting a card, a brief write up of the cards condition and reasons for receiving a particular grade is little to ask.

With that said, if you bought the card in its current slab be happy with the card itself. I have several cards that I can't understand why they didn't receive higher grades and when and if I decide to sell them I may submit them for regrading. But for the time being the grade on the slab doesn't take away from the card itself or my enjoyment of it.

*Edited for spelling.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Administrator

I think there are some older arguments going on here and I would prefer to keep them off of Net54. I agree that plifter needs to either take the advice given or not and move on, on this issue. Bullying on Net54 is not going to be allowed either but when I look up in the posts and see some antagonizing to get to that point then I am not as quick to step in. I have had emails from certain other members about this issue on this board but the person usually complaining has brought it on themselves....and I tell them I am reluctant to step in due to that fact. Each situation is different so there is no set rule. Overall I would expect this to be as friendly of a place as possible....with a 1000 addicts things can sometimes go south though. Lets all please play nicely together. It's supposed to be a fun hobby...regards

Old 04-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Administrator

No Jay, the "threats" (if that's what you want to call it) started when the insults became personal. You continue to say I'm not taking advice. Several people said to call GAI for an explanation. I did that. It was not helpful. I posted on this forum to see if others could spot something I missed. There were no problems on this thread until the PSA trolls came over.

The fact that you followed me over to this board to continue your verbal abuse makes YOU a pathetic little man. I don't post on the PSA board any longer. Why do you care any more? Why do you keep coming here? GIVE IT UP! ENOUGH! STOP IT! CAN YOU UNDERSTAND ANY OF THESE WORDS! YOU are the one that needs to move on (or stay where you were).

Old 04-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Administrator

This thread is done and I would not expect the arguing to spill over into other threads.....please...thanks