NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Default Why did this card go so high, did I miss something?

Posted By: Bob

I figured that a bid of $85 was a safe bid on this card, based on what other 1912 Zeenuts I have purchased on ebay recently in comparable condition have sold for but I was shocked when it went over $400. Is this card rare, did someone think it was Lefty Williams, is it a "rookie" card of a major league player, anyone know?
http://tinyurl.com/3wbx5d

Old 04-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

I noticed this question that was posted by the seller at the bottom of the auction:

Hi, I was wondering if you would consider letting me make you an offer or putting a buy it now on this zeenut. It's one I've been looking for a long time. Thanks, Ray

The winning bidder's e-mail name is raypcl. As to why the underbidder made such a high bid ... maybe just a case of having been looking for this card for so long?

Old 04-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

OK...so the guy that won it really needed it. Now the question is, is why did the underbidder bid that high? As far as I know this would be a $50-$100 card....It is in nice shape....regards

Old 04-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Administrator

It looks like raypcl and another guy both blasted out $400 bids at the last second, otherwise the card would have gone for $79. I collect the 1912s but am not as obsessed with the set as I am the 1911s so perhaps it is a scarce card in the set (?)

Old 04-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Bob,

You know how several of the big 1911 collectors are down to the same 6-8 cards needed for completion? I bet it is the same way for the serious 1912 collectors. I'm not an expert on this set by any means, but I know that the tricky final few from the 1911 set would go for a few hundred apiece, if not more, if any of them were to appear on Ebay. This could just be a 1912 "toughie" that you didn't know about prior to now.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Johnny "Honolulu" Williams - One of the first
Hawaiian born Major Leaguers...was in the Home Run Kisses,
'12 & '15 Zeenut sets....

Mark

Old 04-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Arrghhh, might have been one of those "rookie card" fanatics as the underbidder....

Old 04-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

<<It looks like raypcl and another guy both blasted out $400 bids at the last second, otherwise the card would have gone for $79>>

Unless one or more others had a snipe above $79 that didn't register.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

SGC has not graded any 1912 Williams cards. Must be a scarce card.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

The Williams card isn't among the toughest 1912's but it went for the price it did beacuse of what Mark Rios said. He is highly collected as the first Hawaiian born major leaguer. I had a decent snipe set, but it must not have registered or not been enough after the other sniped because it doesn't show up, but also wasn't as high as the high bid.

This particular card was in the Huggins & Scott Auction (in a lot), and apparently Dan outbid me cause I was the first underbidder then, and the Williams was the main card I wanted from the lot. Nice price for Dan in the end though, couldn't happen to a better seller!
-Rhett

Old 04-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Bob -
Maybe it was determined that the player was Jewish.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Apparently the card is not rare per se in the set but is a high demand card. Thanks to Mark M., the Godfather of PCL cards, for pointing this out to me. The Zeenut cards from 1911 and 1912 are very volatile. One day you can buy a nice vg or vgex one for $40-50 and a week later, one goes for hundreds of dollars. I know Portland players seem to have a premium for some reason but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the differing prices on many of the cards. I understand Williams may have been the first Hawaiian player in the PCL, but it seems like a big price to pay. I get the Jewish players having a premium because a lot of collectors are Jewish (hi Alan!) or a premium on Mormon players (Castleton, etc.) or even Native Americans (Yellow Horse) but Hawaiians? No offense to our brothers on the islands but this one seems a little goofy....

Old 04-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

The seller is a major ass%$le

Old 04-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Yes he is. He better not show his ugly face on this board.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

WOW! u do know him Steve, as his face could make an Onion cry!