NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-11-2018, 06:23 PM
Sean Brennan

Default Baseball in the 30s

Back in 1989 I bought Donald Honigs book Baseball in the 30s and mailed it over 50 times to players to get signed. I still have the book along with the letters many of the players wrote back to me. Some of the letters were quite sad. I received this letter right back with the book signed by Lew Fonseca. Apparently it was his last autograph. Anyone else get this book autographed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sean1.jpg (60.9 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg sean2.jpg (57.3 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by Leon; 12-12-2018 at 08:33 PM. Reason: rotated images
Old 12-11-2018, 06:27 PM
Sean Brennan

This was also possibly the last autograph Jack Russell signed as he died while the book was in transit to me. It had this letter from the Director of the nursing home he was at
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sean.jpg (61.7 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by Leon; 12-12-2018 at 08:31 PM. Reason: rotated image
Old 12-12-2018, 07:31 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Sean,

These letters are very touching and it's pretty great that these two individuals took the time to pen the note and fulfill your request.

Two great guys all the way to the end.
Congrats.
James
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 12-12-2018, 10:12 AM
Belltown Vintage

Great project, Sean.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:16 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Very nice Sean.
Personal letters are some of the best stuff out there. These two are bittersweet. It's nice they were able to respond to you to at least tell you what was going on. These older athletes are really great. Whenever one passes, it feels like our hobby dies a little. Most of them were so gracious and appreciative of the fans. In that generation, for every one Willie Mays or Joe D, there were dozens of Gehringers, Doerrs, and on and on. I even had Gene Conley and Ted Lindsay call me personally to make sure they had the right person to send the items back to. Conley had found a package he had "lost" for a month and when he found it, wanted to make sure I knew he was sending it. Lindsay wanted to ask about what I had sent and just chat about sports and hockey specifically. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised by both calls. I doubt any ballplayers from today would do that.

Donald Honig has some great books in the 80's. I did not do the 30's book, but I did get his "American League" and "National League" books signed as I went to shows in the 80's

I don't have the NL book scanned, but here are some highlights from the AL book. This link is the album with all the scans.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmxp7Yvx

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 12-12-2018, 05:53 PM

Gene Conley was the best. A real gentleman, humble, funny and with an understanding of what's really important in this world. He died not too long ago after a life of great achievement.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:20 PM
Sean Brennan

Thanks guys! Yeah the Honig books were great to get signed. I also did the 100 best hitters and pitchers books. I mailed my 30s book so much it started to come loose at the spine. My dad fixed it but I finally got discouraged from mailing it after about 2 years. Here is a really sad letter from Ad Liska made even worse for me by the fact that I didnt keep in touch. 20181211_191737.jpg
Old 12-12-2018, 07:31 PM
Sean Brennan

Great autographs Mark! Love seeing these books signed! Here is an interesting one. When I was 14 I wrote Tony Cuccinello and asked if I could meet him. This was the response back. However when I got to Florida and called, his wife said he wa sin the hospital. He got better but I missed the chance at meeting someone whom was in the first all-star game and on a 1933 Goudey and never got him in my book. Stiil a great little note

cuccinello 2.jpg

cuccinello 1.jpg
Old 12-14-2018, 02:30 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Love these letters guys! Not from the 1930’s, but here’s a response I got back from one of the great baseball ambassador’s Carl Erskine. Carl suggests we meet for breakfast at IHOP. We did and it was a great experience filled with some amazing conversation from a guy as sharp as a tack!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9ED08AAD-395C-4DA4-8D17-B2000069EA10.jpg (20.2 KB, 97 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Old 12-14-2018, 05:48 PM
Sean Brennan

That's great! IHop with a legend!
Old 12-14-2018, 09:25 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Love these letters guys! Not from the 1930’s, but here’s a response I got back from one of the great baseball ambassador’s Carl Erskine. Carl suggests we meet for breakfast at IHOP. We did and it was a great experience filled with some amazing conversation from a guy as sharp as a tack!
Good decision to go to IHOP and not Denny's because a pitcher should always try to avoid the grandslam breakfast. LOL
Old 12-15-2018, 06:19 AM

Great posts! Love seeing these.

I had a great back and forth letter correspondence with Bobby Thomson about 10 years ago since we lived in the same area at one point and he referenced friends he had in the town I lived in.

I also wrote to Dom DiMaggio when I was younger, and I was playing outside with a friend and my dad comes out of the house and says "Mr. DiMaggio is on the phone." At this point, I thought "Mr. DiMaggio? He's dead!" (Joe had passed), and then I immediately remembered Dom. I had seen Dom on a TV program and a few weeks earlier and wrote to him about it, and he called to give me financial and baseball advice. I don't think I ever received an autograph back, but the phone call was priceless! Apparently, he just looked my family's number up in the white pages because I didn't send it to him.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:53 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Good decision to go to IHOP and not Denny's because a pitcher should always try to avoid the grandslam breakfast. LOL
Well done Mike!