NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-21-2014, 11:53 PM
Louie Michaud

Default New member from Oakland

Hey everyone,

I've been checking out what you've all had to say for little over a month, and I thought I'd finally speak up and say hi! It's been a real pleasure seeing the wide array of collections and advice from so many of you.

As for me, I'm Louie...born in the Bay Area, late 80s. Will Clark, Matt Williams, Bonds...those were the guys I grew up with. But my dad had me at the age of 62, and his love for baseball was infectious, so oddly enough, Cool Papa Bell, Big Poison and Little Poison, Kiki Cuyler...these guys were just as big in my mind when I was young. As a Giants fan of course I admired Mays, but it was interesting to get such an intimate perspective on him, as my dad would give me anecdotes of what it was like watching him when he played in my dad's hometown of Minneapolis as a Miller.

When it comes to collecting, I've pretty much glued myself to t206's and cards up through the late 40s...been sort of a "on again, off again" collector. Got my first tobacco card at 12, next at 16, a few more at 20, and been on the hunt pretty actively since I turned 24 (I'm 27 now...dad is still at it, going to be 91 in December). I'm a big fan of '33 Goudey and Delong, as well as Diamond Stars, t205 gold borders, etc. For me, I gravitate towards lithographs and 'colorful' cards more than some of the classic photographs. My ultimate card would be the 1949 Bowman Paige, but I'm probably going to need to save up a while for something like that.

That's my story pretty much. Thanks for listening, and I look forward to learning much much more from all of you! Hopefully I'll be able to contribute as well
Old 07-22-2014, 02:54 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Default Welcome from across the Bay

Welcome aboard Louie! Glad to see another collector/board member in the Bay... and great tastes to boot! Will Clark was my favorite player by far as a kid... and like you my dad got me the into vintage era (inadverantly) by telling me stories of his favorite teams and players as a kid, including the Brooklyn Dodgers and a teenage Mickey Mantle he'd seen play while growing up in Oklahoma.

Happy collecting,

Ian
Old 07-22-2014, 04:08 AM
Chris P.

Cool Papa Bell, Satchel Paige! My man, welcome to the board. You and your Dad have great taste.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:24 AM
octavio ranzola

Welcome go oakland as
Old 07-22-2014, 05:35 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Your dad had you at 62!! I need to shake that mans hand . Welcome aboard Louie.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:00 AM
Jimmy

Default New member from Oakland

Welcome o the board!

Jimmy

Last edited by jbsports33; 07-22-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Barry Arnold

Default newbie

welcome aboard, Louie!!
all the best,
barry
Old 07-22-2014, 11:00 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louieman View Post
Hey everyone,

I've been checking out what you've all had to say for little over a month, and I thought I'd finally speak up and say hi! It's been a real pleasure seeing the wide array of collections and advice from so many of you.

As for me, I'm Louie...born in the Bay Area, late 80s. Will Clark, Matt Williams, Bonds...those were the guys I grew up with. But my dad had me at the age of 62, and his love for baseball was infectious, so oddly enough, Cool Papa Bell, Big Poison and Little Poison, Kiki Cuyler...these guys were just as big in my mind when I was young. As a Giants fan of course I admired Mays, but it was interesting to get such an intimate perspective on him, as my dad would give me anecdotes of what it was like watching him when he played in my dad's hometown of Minneapolis as a Miller.

When it comes to collecting, I've pretty much glued myself to t206's and cards up through the late 40s...been sort of a "on again, off again" collector. Got my first tobacco card at 12, next at 16, a few more at 20, and been on the hunt pretty actively since I turned 24 (I'm 27 now...dad is still at it, going to be 91 in December). I'm a big fan of '33 Goudey and Delong, as well as Diamond Stars, t205 gold borders, etc. For me, I gravitate towards lithographs and 'colorful' cards more than some of the classic photographs. My ultimate card would be the 1949 Bowman Paige, but I'm probably going to need to save up a while for something like that.

That's my story pretty much. Thanks for listening, and I look forward to learning much much more from all of you! Hopefully I'll be able to contribute as well
Welcome Louie!

Be sure to check out the BTS board - I have the Waners on the block under live auctions, Hall-of-Fame Induction Week, Part (3)

Last edited by clydepepper; 07-22-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:29 PM
John Mavroudis

Default Welcome!

Excellent taste (in current teams and in historical terms).

Go Giants! (and best of luck with the Paige card!)

www.zenpop.com
Old 07-22-2014, 01:35 PM
Louie Michaud

Clyde, awesome! I've been looking for a card for each of the Waner's...I know the '35 Goudey has them together in the sort of "style" I'm into...but I think I may have to make an exception for those ones you have on auction. Very cool!

Ian, definitely the same here with regards to Clark. I've been waiting the longest time to get a Giants jersey, but I knew if I did it would be the Thrill. Got one coming in the mail pretty soon, so it'll be nice to give it some sun over at the park
Old 07-22-2014, 01:58 PM
David McDonald

Terrific first post. Welcome to N54. Been a Giants fan myself since I first saw them in the Polo Grounds in 1956. Caught a lot of games at Candlestick too in the Will Clark days. Waited a long time for them to win a World Series. Sure was sweet when they finally did and then did it again.

Some old ghosts from across the Bay circa 1909
Old 07-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Louie Michaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Terrific first post. Welcome to N54. Been a Giants fan myself since I first saw them in the Polo Grounds in 1956. Caught a lot of games at Candlestick too in the Will Clark days. Waited a long time for them to win a World Series. Sure was sweet when they finally did and then did it again.

Some old ghosts from across the Bay circa 1909
Great pic...is that the Oaks? Yeah, I'd say a little part of me died in 2002, and around the time of 2010 I was starting to believe in this ill-fated destiny for the Giants. 2010 and 2012 were sweet sweet retribution for all those years. Hard to imagine how rough it was for yourself and guys like my dad, waiting so long. My empathy for Cubs fans is tremendous...
Old 07-22-2014, 03:41 PM

Default welcome!!

great story! and if you've been lurking you know I'm obsessed with T206!

pm me with any questions....I'm in my 40's and I want to have kids soon
Old 07-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Bill Gregory

Welcome to Net 54, Louie, from a fellow T206 collector.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:39 PM
Louie Michaud

Thanks everyone for the welcome!
Old 07-24-2014, 12:14 AM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
great story! and if you've been lurking you know I'm obsessed with T206!

pm me with any questions....I'm in my 40's and I want to have kids soon
Louie, welcome. I used to live in Rockridge, but now I am SoCal. The National needs another West Coast swing so some of the rest of us can make it! There is a cool PCL event up north in Aug. This is my best Oaks card.

mrvster, I had my son when I was 44. Trust me, don't wait any longer. He is the coolest part of my life, and I became a dedicated collector to share with him, and have something to leave him. But man, he wears my old a** out! I love when I get a new card and he runs around with it saying "baseball, baseball!" Kids are the best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ody Abbott0002.jpg (26.8 KB, 38 views)

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 07-24-2014, 12:56 AM
Dustin

Welcome to the board Louie!!!!