NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Kev1n @1les

Default How do I retract a bid on Ebay?

I ran out of items on my watch list yesterday. I made a couple of min bids - just so I could monitor the auction. I checked myebay tonight and somehow, it has an extra 0 on my bid - which would be 3x VCP if it is bid up to that amount. It is well on its way from a few low feedback bidders with high % for that seller.

It was my mistake and I am willing to take the medicine if it is seen as unethical. It doesn't end for another 5 days and 22 hours, so I feel that it if I pull back now while it is still under VCP, I am not doing the seller harm - however, I don't want to send a note to him asking for a bid retraction explaining that I accidently hit an extra 0 - thus showing what my max is and opening myself to that number being magically hit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 12-21-2014, 08:49 PM
Mike P.ap

Default retract

Kevin,

go to:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?RetractBidShow

then enter your user name and password and it will walk you through it from there.

Be sure before you do this that you write down the item # as you will need that. Also, do this ASAP because if the item ends within 12 hours of when you try, then Ebay will not allow it.

peace, mike
Old 12-21-2014, 08:55 PM
Kev1n @1les

Thank You for the help. I hope that I don't have to do that again as it feels icky doing it. If I was confident that the auction would go to the natural market level, I would have just left it there and assumed that it would have worked out fine. It didnt' seem like that was happening, however, so now I can rest assurred.

Take Care,
Kevin

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 12-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Mike P.ap

Default no sweat

As they say on the "bay".....stuff happens!

It is a tool to use exactly as you used it. No one is perfect!

peace, mike
Old 12-21-2014, 10:46 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
As they say on the "bay".....stuff happens!

It is a tool to use exactly as you used it. No one is perfect!

peace, mike

Or you can do it 93 more times, and just blame it on your fondness for ice cream.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:35 AM
Steven Finley

If retracting a bid makes you feel icky you could either take a NPB (which really means nothing these days) or file a "item not as described" return (which is as easy eating cake these days). Not knocking you OP, I actually place a ton bids on my phone so I've often typed too many 0's with my fat fingers and had to correct them before I confirmed so I understand how it could have happened, but if it's really a card you want and think it still might fall under your intended bid you can always let the bid ride and there is literally 0% chance you'll be stuck with the item at a heavy price thanks to a buyer friendly eBay.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Or you can do it 93 more times, and just blame it on your fondness for ice cream.
+1
Old 01-02-2015, 10:48 AM
Belltown Vintage

Dave, it is about the agreement with the seller. If the seller is okay with him appearing to be a shill, why do you personally care?
Old 01-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Dave, it is about the agreement with the seller. If the seller is okay with him appearing to be a shill, why do you personally care?

You think he has 93 bid retractions with a single seller he had a conversation with?

I didn't see him mentioning a conversation or an agreement was made with ANY seller he made a retraction on. Just that they were lower end items, they didn't involve baseball, and thus it didn't matter that he pulled his bid on those auctions.

As long as he wasn't affecting the higher end baseball market, it was ok in his mind.

......on top of that, there's enough paranoid bidders that Ebay has helped cultivate with their practices, that every time Phil shows up as an underbidder on a "higher end baseball" auction, and the other bidders do a simple click of the mouse, they see the guy they are bidding against has more retractions then they have won items on his record. Generally they either run to NET54 and wonder out loud if the guy they are bidding against is a shill (10 other guys jump on the bandwagon and say they will never do business with this seller again), or they don't say a word, and they temper their bidding accordingly.

It's not just this board either. I've ventured on Ebay buyer boards on occasion and they are littered with threads of people asking "Have I just been shilled". Sometimes they were shilled, but 90% of the time I believe it's a situation with a bidder like this in the mix..........but most don't want to hear that, usually it's the seller that gets demonized in the process, not the ones interfering with the auction.

Right now he has bid on 11 items in the last 30 days, he has 5 bid retractions in that same amount of time.

He has 93 retractions in the last 180 days. 93. That's not a "whoopsie". If he has the blessings of other sellers because of this, he's either building up his retractions, to scare other bidders away on the items he REALLY wants, or he's just inconvenienced 93 others sets of sellers and bidders on items he DIDN'T really want.

I really have a hard time believing there's some benevolent reason for this.

I personally care, because this type of bidding has become epidemic on the site. It affects the entire realm of collectibles and it affects bidder confidence in general.

I've spoken to more then one collector over the years who say they don't bid on Ebay anymore because of the shenanigans that they think go on there. Whether their fears are founded or unfounded doesn't really matter. The perception is there.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:26 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
You think he has 93 bid retractions with a single seller he had a conversation with?

I didn't see him mentioning a conversation or an agreement was made with ANY seller he made a retraction on. Just that they were lower end items, they didn't involve baseball, and thus it didn't matter that he pulled his bid on those auctions.

As long as he wasn't affecting the higher end baseball market, it was ok in his mind.

......on top of that, there's enough paranoid bidders that Ebay has helped cultivate with their practices, that every time Phil shows up as an underbidder on a "higher end baseball" auction, and the other bidders do a simple click of the mouse, they see the guy they are bidding against has more retractions then they have won items on his record. Generally they either run to NET54 and wonder out loud if the guy they are bidding against is a shill (10 other guys jump on the bandwagon and say they will never do business with this seller again), or they don't say a word, and they temper their bidding accordingly.

It's not just this board either. I've ventured on Ebay buyer boards on occasion and they are littered with threads of people asking "Have I just been shilled". Sometimes they were shilled, but 90% of the time I believe it's a situation with a bidder like this in the mix..........but most don't want to hear that, usually it's the seller that gets demonized in the process, not the ones interfering with the auction.

Right now he has bid on 11 items in the last 30 days, he has 5 bid retractions in that same amount of time.

He has 93 retractions in the last 180 days. 93. That's not a "whoopsie". If he has the blessings of other sellers because of this, he's either building up his retractions, to scare other bidders away on the items he REALLY wants, or he's just inconvenienced 93 others sets of sellers and bidders on items he DIDN'T really want.

I really have a hard time believing there's some benevolent reason for this.

I personally care, because this type of bidding has become epidemic on the site. It affects the entire realm of collectibles and it affects bidder confidence in general.

I've spoken to more then one collector over the years who say they don't bid on Ebay anymore because of the shenanigans that they think go on there. Whether their fears are founded or unfounded doesn't really matter. The perception is there.
Well said. I am a small seller on Ebay. Not even a drop in the bucket compared to Probstein and PWCC. However, I do have one thing in common with those other two guys. I like to run .99 cent auctions. Not many sellers run .99 cent auctions anymore. That being said, I have to work alot harder to protect my auctions than those other two guys. All is takes is one bad bidder to wipe me off the map.

Others might not agree with me, but that is why I work so hard to ensure my auctions are clean from that kind of stuff. So yes, I block bid retractors. Not the ones who it is a true mistake where they entered the wrong bid. However, that is very seldom the reason. The current policy is being abused. I have retractors who are the high bidders, then three-four days later, decide they no longer want the item. They falsely use the tired old "can't contact the seller", or "entered the wrong amount". Those guys get blocked.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 01-02-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:20 PM
Belltown Vintage

NM...can't believe I got sucked into this quagmire

Last edited by Runscott; 02-07-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:26 PM
Jeff

Unless it's a seller that I know well I don't assume that many of my ebay transactions are "arms-length." That's just ebay and the hobby. Frankly I've gotten to the point where I don't even look at other bidders and whether there are retractions, "0" feedback bidders, bidders with 90+% activity with this seller. That's just the stuff you can point to, who knows what else is going on.

Edit to Add: I am SURE there are many up and up sellers on EBAY but it is a minefield.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 01-02-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:42 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Scott, I completely agree with Dave here, and I'm surprised you don't see this as a problem. Shill bidding is one of the big reasons ebay is going downhill. I am astounded the forum has let someone with so many retractions slide.

Ken
Old 01-02-2015, 01:06 PM
Belltown Vintage

Ken, I was thinking entirely of it as a problem between Phil and the seller, and that any bidders would avoid the seller if they had a problem with it. Giving it more thought, there is the obvious problem (which was going right past me) of the winning bidders being shilled up by Phil. Phil was, in effect, acting as a shill for the seller, whether he intended it or not.

Sorry about that - oversight on my part, as I was trying to play devil's advocate for Phil.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:43 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

I accidentally bid $1439 rather than $14.39 for a raw Rickey Henderson RC in VG. As there was only about a minute left, I didn't find out how to cancel in time. Luckily the card only cost me a few extra bucks. A shiller could have robbed me blind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/