NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-01-2016, 11:32 PM
David Kathman

Default Complete first issue of SCD -- October 12, 1973

Recently I've posted several articles from Sports Collector's Digest from the 1970s, but I thought I would go back to the beginning and post the very first issue of SCD, dated October 12, 1973. For the first few months every issue was 16 pages, and I've posted all 16 pages of that first issue below. Hopefully it should be legible despite the crappy camera on my phone. It's definitely interesting to see what people were interested back then!

Old 02-02-2016, 02:12 AM
Ryan Waggoner

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

You should cut some of those pictures out. You definitely have some PSA Gem Mint 10s.

Last edited by TheNightmanCometh; 02-02-2016 at 02:12 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:34 AM
David Kathman

Notice how the article on the New York convention on page 2 lists the names and addresses of all the tableholders. Keith Olbermann had a table -- he was 14 years old at the time. Earlier in 1973, he had started writing a column for Sports Scoop, a collecting publication that launched at the beginning of 1973 but only lasted a few years, as far as I know. Dave Meiners, whose SCD column started in this first issue (including the two-part 1974 article "Inflation Rocks the Hobby" which I posted recently) also had a column in Sports Scoop.

I'm not sure whether any Net54 members were at that September 1973 New York show -- I know we have some people who were active in the hobby back then, but I don't immediately recognize any of the names in the article.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:48 AM
Howie Schenker

I attended all of those District 65 shows and still have the commemorative HOF pins they gave out. Bruce Yeko had a stack of 1954 Red Heart Mantles for $1 a card!
Old 02-02-2016, 10:01 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeson View Post
I attended all of those District 65 shows and still have the commemorative HOF pins they gave out. Bruce Yeko had a stack of 1954 Red Heart Mantles for $1 a card!
I have a program from the first Cincinnati convention being promoted on the front page of this debut SCD. I wasn't there, though -- I was seven years old and collecting Wacky Packages (my first great collecting love), though we went to Cincinnati regularly to visit family, and my grandfather knew Bob Rathgeber, one of the organizers of that convention.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:02 AM
Richard L.

Thanks for sharing. Back in the day I thought SCD was the bomb. Started reading it in the late 70s and couldn't wait for the next issue. Saved my money from my part time job in high school. Frantically flipped each page to figure out where my 50 bucks would go. Back then it was basically publications,card shows and contacts via letter writing. A time when the hobby wasn't corrupt like it has become sadly. Got a chuckle out of the clothes and hair styles of the day
Old 02-02-2016, 10:02 AM
Al Richter

Default 1973

Great post, thanks
Old 02-02-2016, 03:50 PM

Default great scd issue

thanks for posting the scd 1st issue.

nice to be reminded of those days.

in this first issue of scd i see names of people i knew long ago like who were a big deal in the hobby back in the early and mid 70's. i suspect they may now be somewhat forgotten in the hobby. i will mention ONLY the names of substantial collectors who i have NOT seen mentioned in the hobby anymore (not that i read much besides this site). not sure if they are still alive or not.

in the first issue of scd you see:

tommy koppa of dallas who lists he has 125,000 cards to trade in the classifieds.

jack urban of wisconsin has a classified ad. a real solid advanced collector as i recall.

rob bruce from mn, later of california if i recall correctly. rob used to show up at shows with hundreds of regionals in a briefcase. at that time regionals were the most desirable cards and almost all the advanced collectors sought them. rob had glendales, rodeo meats, dan dees, etc. nobody could figure out how he got so many, so often.

stan mcclure, i recall was an advanced collector

charles ault the 4th much younger then the 3 mentioned above. charles was advertising that he had an auction in sports collectors news. i recall charles had a great run of rare leafs show up at the chicago show one year from a friend of his when we shared a table or had a table next to each other, not sure after all these years which it was. i didn't even know what rare leafs were initially. that was a awesome sight of all those rare leafs in one box. he was helpful to educate me on the subject. thats how you learned back before practical guides emerged.

all the best

Last edited by jsq; 02-02-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:34 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Thanks for posting. That bibliography of hobby articles is quite a valuable bit of information.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:14 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Thanks for posting. That bibliography of hobby articles is quite a valuable bit of information.
I know. I posted the 1929 New Yorker article cited by Meiners in this thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=202129

It's a great article by somebody who collected Old Judges and other N cards when they first came out.

Meiners' bibliography of articles about the hobby was continued in issues 2 and 3 of SCD, with issue 2 including articles from 1970 to the early part of 1973, and issue 3 including the rest of 1973. I've included those columns below. I'm guessing a lot of these articles can now be found online, but I haven't tried to look for them. In his column in issue 3, Meiners mentioned that since December 1972 he had been "acting as an intermediary between disgruntled collectors and dealers in an attempt to iron out any differences that may arise regarding prices, quality, and service". Some of his articles on these topics appeared earlier in 1973 in Sport Scoop, including a three-part series on card dealers. It's pretty interesting as a time capsule into what card dealers were like in 1973, and I may post the ones I have. Meiners continued to write for SCD for another couple of years, including the 1974 two-parter "Inflation Rocks The Hobby" that I posted last month, but then in 1975 he quit his column in a huff because not enough people were writing to tell him they liked it, and he didn't feel like it was worth the effort. Not sure what ever happened to him, but for a few years there he wrote some interesting stuff.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:47 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I would love to see parts 2 and 3 of the bibliography.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:57 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
I would love to see parts 2 and 3 of the bibliography.
I posted them in that reply -- could you not see the pictures for some reason? Here they are again.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:19 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Thanks, they would not load before. Smartphone not so smart sometimes.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:44 PM
Robert J. Miller

Absolutely fantastic! Love checking out the old publications.
Thanks for sharing!
Robert
Old 02-05-2016, 02:46 PM

Awesome. I have a few from back in the day too... never saw the complete 1st one. Thanks for the share!

Ricky Y
Old 02-06-2016, 09:50 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

I think SCD reprinted that issue and included it as a bonus to subscribers. I would guess 1998, their 25th anniversary, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
I'm not sure whether any Net54 members were at that September 1973 New York show -- I know we have some people who were active in the hobby back then, but I don't immediately recognize any of the names in the article.
My father certainly was there. It was his show along with the Gallagher bros.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:14 PM
Howie Schenker