NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Baseball Memorabilia B/S/T

Old 12-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Default Babe Ruth as played by Max Gail (was Casey Stengel as played by Charles Durning)

Posted By: David McDonald

In 1981 Charles Durning performed a one man show entitled Casey Stengel in which he stepped into the character of the ol' Perfesser and expounded his wit and wisdom for one hour of brilliant television. Anybody remember it? More to the point, anybody have a video copy they are willing to sell, share, whatever?

Fast forward two months later . . . I borrowed Jay's video tape copy of Max Gail's one-man show. I think he nailed a pretty good caricature of the Babe. You'll stop making Wojo jokes about one minute into it. The script was very baseball literate. All in all a very enjoyable program. After consulting with Jay we thought that some of you other Net54'ers might enjoy the show as well. I will mail the tape to the first guy (according to all the waiters in Honolulu girls is guys, too) to e-mail me at dmcd50 (at) hawaii.rr.com with the understanding that once they've watched the show they will send it to the next person that wants it and so on.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Default Babe Ruth as played by Max Gail (was Casey Stengel as played by Charles Durning)

Posted By: jay wolt

David - Never heard about this 1 man show from Durning.
I do remember 2 or 3 years later when Max Gail did a 1 man show of Babe Ruth.
It was very compelling, he did a great job...jay

Old 12-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Wojo as the Babe! Whoodathunkit? Actually, I'll bet it was great! Did a little sleuthing on the Net and learned that it was a one-man show on Broadway and shown on PBS. Then the trail ran cold. I saw the Durning show a long time ago and, while you'd think the portly actor was all wrong to portray ol' Casey, about one minute into the show it didn't matter. "Compelling" would be a good way to describe this show, too. Always liked his comment about Ryne Duren: "He could throw a lambchop past a wolf." So now, in addition to Durning's Stengel, anybody got Wojo's Ruth they can offer me?

Old 12-09-2005, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

David - I have a copy of the Babe Ruth 1 man show on Broadway, I taped it off of ESPN in Oct of '85. Before the show there's highlights of the '84 World Series and Chis Berman doing a newsbreak. Very primitive to todays standards but cool nonetheless.
I watched the tape last night and Gail did a fantastic job as Ruth, although the wife fell asleep during it.
If you want my copy, advise via Email....jay

Old 02-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Administrator

One small bump for man

Old 02-15-2006, 01:38 PM
Administrator

The Gail/Ruth tape's next stop is deepest, darkest British Columbia. Contact Max Weder if you are interested in getting ahold of it.

Old 02-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

There are few clues to the whereabouts of the tape in that dark, foreboding place

Max