NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-11-2003, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Default pet peeve

Posted By: warshawlaw 

At a show over the weekend, I was at a table of a dealer who handles vintage commons for set builders. He had a list of like 20 rules and regulations for how he did business posted on signs above the cards. Kind of a turn-off, if you ask me. Oh, I bought the cards I needed anyway, but the experience wasn't much fun.

Old 09-11-2003, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Default pet peeve

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Is advertising what you don't have: like Wheat had a beautiful M101-2 Mack above his list of M101-2s--did he have a Mack for sale? No way. There's this guy who used to advertise in VCBC all the time "any card--any grade," but when you talked to him on the phone, "I'm a vg sort of guy..."

Stuff like that.

Old 09-11-2003, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Default pet peeve

Posted By: marty

His signs have always been a topic of discussion with other dealers. You could have turned around. I was set up directly across from him with a large inventory of commons and stars from 49 through 79. My friend was set up next to me with several thousand commons also. Of course, I do not know if you looked through my cards and did not find what you needed or not.

Old 09-11-2003, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Default pet peeve

Posted By: BcD

not 49-79 cards bud.

Old 09-12-2003, 05:02 AM
Administrator

Default pet peeve

Okay, I had about 100 T206's and I have been breaking a set of Goudey's. I was responding to the post of warshawlaw who has been posting about looking for cards from the 70's.

Old 09-12-2003, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Default pet peeve

Posted By: todd (nolemmings)

come on Brian, I know you're still looking for that PSA 9 Carney Lansford. Don't hide in the weeds, it's OK to admit you occassionally look at post-war cards.
I know of some twelve step programs if you want.

Old 09-12-2003, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Default pet peeve

Posted By: runscott

This is a great board, but many times I have asked questions about vintage cards, knowing that the expertise was out there among other board members, and not gotten a response. Many times the reason was simply that responding wouldn't benefit the responder, or might provide "expert" information that others could use to locate items and therefore become competition. When I really want an answer to a vintage question, I don't post here - I call an expert and get an answer. Unfortunately, the information doesn't get shared.

I wonder if there could be a different board format that would encourage more open communication among members and perhaps attract some of the experts who simply lurk at the moment?

This board is great because it opens the hobby up to novices, allows true collectors to locate others in the hobby, and does provide a great communication mechanism. But would it be a good idea to have a corollary board "by invitation" where members would be less afraid to express their responses because they wouldn't have to worry about lurkers, scammers, Roy Huffs, Harleyman, 2003 Topps collectors, etc.?

I've looked into it, and it could be done easily, even with Net 54 - just requires people to become Net 54 members (free) and provide their handle/email address to the moderator by signing up for the appropriate group, to be added to a "group list" at the moderator's disgression. No one else would be able to even enter the forum. I already have a mailing list of everyone who participates actively on this board, and some upstanding members of the hobby who don't participate on this board, so initial set-up would be easy. Any lurkers out there who think this is a decent idea?

Old 09-12-2003, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Default pet peeve

Posted By: Charley

I really have nothing to add to the board, but I do learn from many of your discussions. I'd still like access to a more private board, thanks.

Old 09-12-2003, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Default pet peeve

I did not find the ##'s I needed, though.

My comment was really addressed more to the feel of the dealer's table in question; it had a hostile vibe that I did not really enjoy.

Old 09-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Default pet peeve

Posted By: TBob

The one with the signs? Just curious...

Old 09-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Default pet peeve

Posted By: Dan Mckee

What kind of signs? Were they telling you how to handle his cards? That is a fine line with commons. People want nice commons but after so many times of being looked through, the grades drop from handling. Also I remember what a pain it was to sort and have people get them out of order. Both of these points are part of reality of having custmers. I never used signs, I would just keep my eyes out and if I saw someone violating the cards or mixing them up, then I would nicely (if I had a beer in me) say to be careful. dan.

Old 09-12-2003, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Default pet peeve

Rich Gove has signs that state his discount policy. No discount for less than $100.00, or $200.00, then 5% after that going up to 20% for 1,000.00. He has his price paid for well centered nrmt or better commons, from 5 ot 10% for 70's up to 40% for early 50's if I remember correctly. His signs are over 2 feet square, and he has one for buying and one for selling. He has several other smaller signs.

Old 09-13-2003, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Default pet peeve

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

Marty,

Haven't seen Rich Gove since the last Tri-Star show in Phoenix. Hell, I think Barkley was still playing for the Suns then. Anyway, does he still have that ridiculous policy of not letting customers touch his commons? Tell me that he gave up on that.

He used to have these piles and piles of beautiful, pack fresk, gloss dripping commons, all out in the raw (term courtesy of Leon)with no holders. He'd ask you what numbers you needed and then he would look them up, not letting you handle the cards, or at most letting you touch the card whose number you'd requested. What a turn-off.I wanted to upgrade or flat out cherry pick, and his system would have had me there for days. Then he's standing there watching while you examine the card--a few dollar common--basically wasting his time and making the customer feel (or me at least) uncomfortable that he was being put out.

Hey I know that repeated handling will ding and wear the cards, but put the darn things in holders or sleeves, OK? Sorry to vent--thought I'd gotten over that, but apparently not.

Old 09-14-2003, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Default pet peeve

I can't believe anyone would actually put up with that sort of crap for commons???