NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-23-2002, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Default Would someone describe to me how to hire a sniper?

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I need one by 4 A.M. Tuesday morning (unless I decide the price is not worth the card).

I don't min d getting up aT 3:30, but it wouldn't do any good. Someone else sleeps in the compuetr room, and he won't trade beds with my for the night.

So now you have the whole sordid story!

Julie

Old 09-23-2002, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

I've responded at least twice or three times to you. Easily set up at...........www.auctionsniper.com

Old 09-23-2002, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

www.auctionstealer.com

www.auction-sentry.com

Old 09-24-2002, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Old 09-24-2002, 04:35 PM
Administrator

It's just a chess card, but it's a nice photograph!

I guess it's possible that I asked ONCE before, but certainly not more than once. I never used the service before. Gee, sniping services, PayPal, what next?

I actually love sniping; sometimes, when I'm interested in an auction I'm not bidding in, I'll sit and watch the sniping for the rush! (Don't usually have time!)

Old 09-26-2002, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Goudey Guy

I routinely get sniped on Ebay, so I feel your frustration!! What helps me is that I realize that I have bid my highest amount before the bell tolls, and that the person who snipes me most likely bid much more than I did. Don't look at it like they got the item for a buck or two more than you, look at it as they bid a lot more than you, and overpaid for the item. Don't go with a sniping service, you'll only pay too much for too little, and you won't feel vindicated that you got even. And you'll probably have to pay the sniping service to boot...

Old 09-26-2002, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brueso

Let's say you can't be around a computer and you make your final "insane- no one will bid over this" bid of $500 a couple of hours before auction's end. Well, if you time the service to not bid until 15 seconds before auction's end, you might only have to bid a lower bid that would've been higher had the buyer realized they had competition. If someone else's "insane" bid is $400, they probably won't have time to revise their opinion of what their absolute max is- but if you give them an hour or two, they might get to where you are.

Old 09-26-2002, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

The whole 'insane-no one's gonna top it' bid isn't always that. Plus...sometimes people just jack you up when they know it's YOU bidding on the item. So.....after getting sniped on just one too many, I decided to join the ranks of the snipers. I've never had a bid NOT placed by a sniping software but I've also not won every item I bid on. The main benefit that I see is you don't get those 'bumpers' that just keep bidding up $1 or $5 to see what your ceiling bid is. With 5-10 seconds to go, your bid is lodged. If it wins, so be it. If it doesn't, that's the way the cookie bounces......I don't necessarily agree with the whole procedure but it has eliminated some of the cost that I've assumed when I bid a buttload early on in the auction. The other deal is that you can put in two bids on the same item with sniper software. You can put in a bid at 10 seconds left that's your highest bid and then one for 4-5 seconds with your REALLY highest bid. If the lower bid hits and it doesn't go up, you're fine. If someone bumps you, then you get another shot. Anyway, try it out. It only costs about 1% of the item total anyway and that's a negligible cost.

Old 09-26-2002, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff s

I just wanted to add that the cost is not always even 1% of the total -- auctionhelper.com costs me $60/year (I think), and I do all of my bidding through it (whether it's a big dollar, high-competition item or something minor), and I'm convinced it's worth at least $60 in the time it saves.

Old 09-26-2002, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dr.Koos

Old 09-26-2002, 03:13 PM
Administrator

I am now the proud owner of a photo of James Mortimer, a London "Master," who mainly wrote, played some. Most interestingly, he was jailed for refusing to reveal his source for an allegedly libellous article he published. In prison, he taught his fellow-inmates to play chess. (This is mid-late 19th century).

Worth 26.00? I think so.

Old 09-27-2002, 01:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mapabr

So, did you use a sniper service or did you get the pot of coffee on at 2AM? I have found the following. Snipe if your at the computer when the auction closes. If you can't be, use one of the services, AuctionSpiner.com gives you your first three snipes for free. So say you just used one of your free snipes, save the next two for times you won't be around or items you really want a chance at and then decide whether the service was worth it. It's no more than paying an ebay fee to use.

Old 09-27-2002, 10:47 AM
Administrator

gives you 5 free a week.

Old 09-28-2002, 07:06 PM
Administrator

"Auctionstealer" got my bid in with "0" seconds! When I told them that was cutting it too close, they said ebay had some systems down, and everything was O.K. now. I dunno...

Yes, I always try to be there when the auction closes, but sometimes, you can't.

Old 10-01-2002, 04:22 PM
Administrator

...because it put me in touch with the auctionstealer.com site- and now I no longer have to be on-line for those Sunday night auction endings so many sellers seem to favor (and I've won 4 out of 5 of the auctions I used them for).

Old 10-01-2002, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...e-Snipe.com Very cool system, and it's nice (and worth the 1%) to NOT have to sit on the damm computer until the auction ends. I love it. I've won almost every aution i've put into e-Snipe.

Old 10-02-2002, 10:03 AM
Administrator

gives you 5 free snipes a week. If you want more, you can sign up for their service (which is pretty reasonably priced). It would save you that 1% so you could blow it on other cards!