NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-12-2014, 03:21 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default bidding slot increments gripe

is it just me or does the Bidding slot increments really hurt the sellers...

it seems the gaps between bidding slots are pretty high compared to ebay incremental bids...

when you get into the 500 range or more...many times the current bid is just under market price and nobody wants to take the next bidding slot and go far and away over market price...if there was a little less of a gap in bidding slots..the seller would of been able to get the additional money...

I understand the auctions could take longer but you can put in a max bid and it takes forever already...

anyone else gripe about this? as I buyer I like the big gaps cause I grab the last bidding slot that's below market price knowing the next guy is going to have to create a new high

on ebay I cant do this...I have to put my highest bid last second and someone can beat me by 50 bucks.....but if it was mile high etc they would of had to bid 250 more plus buyer premium ...
Old 12-12-2014, 03:38 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Agree and feel the same way, also as a buyer. If the bit is at 500, and id go to 510 or 520 but i have to do 550 i may lose a card
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

I wonder why the major auction houses, multimillion dollar businesses who succeed by doing well for their consignors, never thought of this before?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:12 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I wonder why the major auction houses, multimillion dollar businesses who succeed by doing well for their consignors, never thought of this before?
I was just thinking about this the other day! In live auctions, the auctioneer often goes up by increments but if no one bids at an increment, he backs it down until someone gets the bidding going again. Often times the final bid is higher than the increment that was originally not accepted.

It would be easy to do this in software ... I wonder why no one does it?

jeff
Old 12-12-2014, 04:16 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default hmmm something not right

why are people understanding what I am saying and agreeing with me...

I guess a broken clock is right 2 times in 24 hours..
Old 12-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Scott

In Heritage live auctions (where you can still bid online), once per lot you can make a "cut bid," which is half of the next bid increment. It's a very nice feature.

One thing that has worked against me (I believe) is when I want to go up to the next bid increment (e.g., Bid is at $1000. Next bid is $1100, then $1200, then $1300). Some AHs won't allow me to place a bid of $1200. Only $1100 and $1300 (or higher) are permitted.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquiresports View Post
In Heritage live auctions (where you can still bid online), once per lot you can make a "cut bid," which is half of the next bid increment. It's a very nice feature.

One thing that has worked against me (I believe) is when I want to go up to the next bid increment (e.g., Bid is at $1000. Next bid is $1100, then $1200, then $1300). Some AHs won't allow me to place a bid of $1200. Only $1100 and $1300 (or higher) are permitted.
When that happens I just ask a friend to bid 1100 and as soon as he does, I bid 1200. It all works out.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
When that happens I just ask a friend to bid 1100 and as soon as he does, I bid 1200. It all works out.
You have friends???

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 12-12-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
You have friends???
Count me among the stupefied. Can we get an offer of proof?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Scott S

As much as REA is beloved by most folks, one thing with REA that drives me nuts is the bidding increments from $500 - $1,000. Every other auction house goes in $50 increments in that range, but REA goes in $100 increments.

So if the bid is $500 on an item, you have to go to $600. So it even further amplifies the issue originally posted about.

Granted, many REA items are over $1K so this only impacts lower priced items, but it really starts to bring bidding strategies into play for items in that price range using REA's structure.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Peter, if you pay them to do it, they don't technically count as 'friends'.

I love a pile-on.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Eric Bea.chley

It all evens out if the long term and the seller is not affected. Using your $250 increment as an example, the seller gets the full $250 of the last bid when another $10 over the underbidder may have won it.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
It all evens out if the long term and the seller is not affected. Using your $250 increment as an example, the seller gets the full $250 of the last bid when another $10 over the underbidder may have won it.
Right, and I am sure Rob and others have thought this through and come to the conclusion that on balance they do better with bigger increments than small ones. Particularly with the "gotta have it" mentality of folks like us most of whom lack discipline.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-12-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Peter, if you pay them to do it, they don't technically count as 'friends'.

I love a pile-on.
What if I pay them in Frank Bucks?

Old 12-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Jesse

Great topic. I agree as a buyer I set a price in my mind and that's what I stick to so if the increment is above that I won't go to the next bid. To me auction houses should let you bid in smaller increments.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:18 PM
Dave

I'll bet most who actually sell on Ebay, wishes the increments were a little further apart. Especially with the instant 1 increment bid tool they have now.

Kind of depressing to see your piece get 10 last second bids, only for it to move up like $4.50 in the process.