NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-25-2014, 07:58 PM
Banned

Default Whyd you choose photo collecting?

For all you photo collectors..Besides all the attention from women.lol..what made you choose photo collecting and what keeps you interested in it?
Old 03-25-2014, 08:08 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Chicks dig the long ball.

I love the mix of Baseball and Art. The beauty of a great photo, be it a great feat of skill, a heroic moment, or a touching slice of humanity. Photos, in my opinion, offer a little bit of everything.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 03-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Chicks dig the long ball.

I love the mix of Baseball and Art. The beauty of a great photo, be it a great feat of skill, a heroic moment, or a touching slice of humanity. Photos, in my opinion, offer a little bit of everything.
lol..chicks definintly love the long ball...I agree with you mark. Photos offer alot more. ive collected cards and never got the satisfication i get when picking up a new photo

Last edited by JoeyF1981; 03-25-2014 at 08:13 PM. Reason: delete info
Old 03-26-2014, 10:40 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Simple. Photography is art, and art has the ability to elevate our imaginations.

Of course, art is always in the eye of the beholder.....
Old 03-26-2014, 11:18 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

There are many reasons to collect photos for me. Here are a few:

(1) There are some particularly nice images of the players in photos that you don't see in cards, some of which are very iconic.
(2) Also, sometimes, if you obtain the same photo of a player that was used to create one of their cards, it is a nice companion piece.
(3) In addition, there are sometimes photos of a player in a major league uniform that predate their "rookie" card, so this is an earlier rookie image.
(4) Sometimes a Type I photo of the player during his playing days is a much cheaper alternative than obtaining his card, and often offers a more appealing image of the player. For example, I collect Babe Ruth cards, but Ruth cards while he was playing for the Red Sox are exorbitantly expensive. A photo of Ruth during his Red Sox days is a much cheaper alternative although still expensive. Going even further, Ruth rookie cards are sky high, but you can sometimes obtain an image of Ruth during his rookie year at a better price.
(5) Finally, I like obtaining team photos of Ruth, and these are not really available in cards. One of the drawbacks of photo collecting is that there are no real "sets" so for set collectors who want some sort of completion, it can be difficult with photo collecting. However, if you collect team photos, you can think of it as a "set" since you just need one team photo for each year for the years you want. Once you obtain all of the team photos for the time period you are looking for, your "set" is complete. (Obviously there are often team photos from the same year w/ different images, but you can just choose the one you want.)
Old 03-26-2014, 11:47 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Anyone who collects Pre-War cards should know something about photography, as many early baseball cards are real photographs: Old Judge N172 and N173s, Lone Jack, Peck & Snyder, Topps Magic Photos and numerous others. I collected baseball cards long before I got into photography, but as a card collector I figured out I should learn something about photographs. If you collect early baseball cards, chances are you own some photos-- even if you don't realize it. If a card collector owns an Old Judge, he owns a photograph. That's what Old Judges are-- little albumen photos.

I like photography, because a photo is a snapshot in time of a story and you don't know what is the whole story. Sometimes you have no idea what is going on. As with all art, it involves viewer imagination and personal interpretation. All my favorite photos involve an ongoing story/scene where you can only guess what is going on-- but you know something is going on. Some photos are historical documents, some are interesting, some beautiful and some are dark and haunting.

As photographer Diane Arbus famously said about art photography: 'A picture is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know."

There are photos for everyone and every taste and interest and budget, because photos comes in all forms and sizes and covers all subjects: sports, movies, presidents, family photos, animals, nature, war, still lifes, etc etc etc. Some are artworks suitable for a museum wall, some are you family picnic snapshots for your refrigerator door, some are straight foreword realistic images, some are experimental avant garde. There's something for everyone. If you take and gather iphone photos and keep them in folder on your computer or uploaded to facebook for friends and family to see you are collecting digital photos. They may have no financial resale value or ever be printed out into physical paper form, but you're still collecting digital images.

Everyone collects and enjoys photos, even if they don't formally think of themselves as photo collectors or fans. If you have your grandmother's old family photo albums, you own a photo collection. If you have Kodak family snapshots on your office bulletin board, you display photos. If you take digital snapshots of your kid at his soccer game, you're creating a digital photo collection. If you collect Hollywood or baseball autographs you undoubtedly own some autographed photos. If you have a shoe box of your 1980s family holiday slides, you own a photo collection.

Not everyone collects baseball cards, beanie babies, Hollywood autographs or Civil War artifacts, but everyone owns a collection of photos in some shape or form.

Last edited by drcy; 03-26-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:50 AM
Banned

I agree! Photography plays a huge part in baseball history and to me being able to own a piece of that history that captures a certain moment in that players life gives me a lot more satisfaction than owning a card
Old 03-26-2014, 11:52 AM
Belltown Vintage

Not to kiss David's butt, but I have to admit that he had more than a little to do with it. Early in my photograph-collecting journey, I once asked David whether or not a particular print was first-generation, and what its value was. He pointed out that I needed to ask myself if it was worth the asking price as a piece of art hanging on my wall, and if the answer was 'yes', it didn't matter so much if it was 1st generation. The point being, photos can be collected simply for their visual appeal - they aren't as far from art as other collectibles (such as cards) can be.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Great images

that can often be dated by the press markings on the back

that can date years before the athlete's first card

and that are often a tiny fraction of the cost of a contemporary card

or that fill in for cards for HOFers who had no career-issued cards

Some are even attributable to specific artists, which I think is kinda cool

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-26-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Great images

that can often be dated by the press markings on the back

that can date years before the athlete's first card

and that are often a tiny fraction of the cost of a contemporary card

or that fill in for cards for HOFers who had no career-issued cards

Some are even attributable to specific artists, which I think is kinda cool

heres one of mine you might appreciate

Old 03-26-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
Simple. Photography is art, and art has the ability to elevate our imaginations.

That first photo is great, but your second one is outstanding!
Old 03-26-2014, 03:52 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post

Scott, you really are a man after my own heart...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monkey Ball.jpg (63.1 KB, 74 views)
Old 03-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Craig

For all the reasons stated above but mainly because they represent a moment in history that is "Frozen in Time".

Craig
Old 03-26-2014, 06:53 PM

Default Why collect photos

I collect photos (a one player collector) for several reasons. I believe they
really tell the history of a player or time in history for one thing.

I am amazed that with the equipment and the moment that some
of these photographers could get some of the action shots they did.

Many of the photographers didn't make all that much money in small venues and may be lost in time as they were staff photographers or freelance photographers

The clarity of a great photo always amazes me 1992 brett by doster.jpg
Old 03-26-2014, 07:35 PM

Default So happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Scott, you really are a man after my own heart...
Even better Lance.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Bill Boyd

A little over a year ago, I was steered to this site by other collectors as I was doing a relative a favor and researching some original photos he obtained. I knew nothing about this newer collectible field of press photos, so I had many questions, and you all responded, some helped a lot. Over the past months that followed, I could see and feel the passion that you all have in this area of collecting. The more I've learned, the more I could feel that same passion. Just re-read what has been written on this thread, and you can feel how much you-- ALL-- really care about press photos. Some years ago I collected cards, but the personal feeling I get about press photos, I did not get that same feeling for cards.
I have only purchased a few so far, but that collection will grow because I can now see what you describe.
So why do I collect, it is all your fault......................and thank you.

By the way, the wife thanks you too..........lol.......yea right!