NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-04-2019, 04:16 PM
Chris Hornung

Default 1897 Boston Beaneaters Logo

Hey everyone,

I recently completed a story on a circa 1897 Wright & Ditson wool football sweater on www.antiquefootball.com. I purchased the sweater last February. It was sold as a Bowdoin College football sweater. The team wore an identical style sweater in the late 1890's, but I couldn't identify any team photo in which a player had the same Gothic font "B". Bowdoin's track team used a Gothic B in the early 1900's, but it was a different font.

http://www.antiquefootball.com/aom/aom_nov18.htm

After additional searching, I came across photos of the 1897-1899 Boston Beaneaters on Net54. The "B" font is a very close match to the font on the sweater. My conclusion is that the sweater is likely period to the late 1890's (perhaps not Bowdoin) and that since it was manufactured by Wright & Ditson in Boston W&D used the same font used by the Beaneaters. My early W&D catalogs don't provide font examples like later catalogs do, so I don't know how to confirm this.

Another theory is that the sweater was purchased from W&D without the "B" and the team or the owner simply used the same font.

I'm curious if anyone on Net54 might know if Wright & Ditson manufactured the Beaneaters uniforms? Does anyone know whether or not logos like the Beaneaters "B" were provided by the manufacturer or if they were sourced from a third party? Any help would be appreciated!

Chris Hornung
AntiqueFootball.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AF_03-16-19_01-red.jpg (71.0 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg victor willis.JPG (33.3 KB, 251 views)
Old 04-04-2019, 06:35 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Hey Chris, I love your website.

I just wanted to mention that the possibility exists that the sweater was produced for hockey. Being that Wright & Ditson was prominent in the sport, and one of the earliest American stick retailers, the chance does exist. That, along with the fact that these early wool sweaters with high neck collars, simple felt emblems and no verso numbers were literally interchangeable between the sports, its something to consider.

I attached a link showing the 1907 Stanley Cup champion Kenora Thistles, and you'll notice how similar the styles are.
Maybe this information will help in your research.

Brent

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...d-stanley-cup/
Old 04-04-2019, 07:50 PM
Chris Hornung

Thanks Brent!

I did take note that these sweaters were worn by other athletes, and were really more of a letter sweater and warm up than specific to any one sport. In fact, there’s a Bowdoin baseball team photo from the early 1900’s where a couple of players are wearing these.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:11 PM
Don Stokes

Default Wright & Ditson

1896 and 1899 Wright & Ditson baseball uniform team list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1896 Wright & Ditson.jpg (80.0 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg 1899 Wright & Ditson.jpg (41.8 KB, 207 views)
Old 04-04-2019, 09:06 PM
Chris Hornung

Great info. Thanks so much Don!
Old 04-04-2019, 09:29 PM
Don Stokes

You're welcome, Chris. I doubt that any team supplied any material to the making of a baseball uniform to the uniform company. I've never ran into it on any of my 1500 pre 1910 baseball uniform searches.

Some local teams with not much money might have had players make their own uniforms and you would see a lot of variations of the uniforms and lettering.

Last edited by Dto7; 04-04-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:49 AM
Jay Cee

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9409.jpg (68.9 KB, 83 views)