NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-27-2015, 07:29 PM

Default How is This for a Tease?

In the latest column of my blog I questioned why after the 1905 World Series there were souvenir baseball pinback buttons of the Philadelphia Athletics (who lost) but none of the winning New York Giants. It just didn't make any sense to me why there would be nothing celebrating the Giants. So I read the New York Times after the World Series was completed. This is what I found in the issue of October 17, 1905.

Pay Day For Champions

New York Baseball Players Get Winners' Share of World Series

"The headquarters of the New York National League Club in the St. James Building at Broadway and Twenty-Sixth Street was a busy place yesterday, because those members of the new world champions who were not playing against the Trenton, N.J. club reported to their chief, Manager John J. McGraw and incidentally received their portion of the receipts due to the winners in the world's championship series with the Philadelphia Athletics. Checks for $1,141.55 were given to Catchers Bowerman and Bresnahan, Pitcher Ames, and Utility Man Hall, and in addition each received a handsome button valued at $50 as a gift from the National Commission."

Each player received a "handsome button" valued at $50!? First, no pinback button would be valued at $50. Second, this "handsome button" was not made for a souvenir vendor, but came directly from the National (League) Commission. Third, it was of sufficient significance and importance as to provide an estimate of its financial value. $50 is not a trivial amount given the annual salary of some players was around $3,000.

So, the players on the winning team did not receive a ring or a watch, but a "button." And an expensive one at that, straight from the League office. Does anyone have any idea what this "handsome button" might have looked like? Is there one in Cooperstown? What button is worth $50? Might it have been a round gold medallion of sorts? I am still perplexed as to why no souvenir pins were made, but at least we now know of the existence of a gift each player received. One mystery leads to another.

As two side notes, I was surprised to see the New York Times spell "baseball" as one word. I thought it was spelled as two words back then. Second, I was a little surprised to see the Times refer to championship as the "World Series." In fact, within the same paragraph it was spelled once as "World Series" and once as "World's Series." 1905 was the second such inter-league championship. I wasn't sure when the WS was so named, but that's what they were calling it in 1905.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That had to be a typo? Fifty dollars back then....was a ton of money. IF it was valued at that I would like to see one too.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:34 PM

A kind reader contacted me about the "button" presented to the winners of the 1905 World Series. One was offered at auction by Christies in 1995, selling for over $14,000. It also appears on pinterest about World Series awards. It was also referenced in a SABR article about the star pitcher of the Athletics, Rube Waddell. 110 years ago it may have been called a "button" but today we would call it a stickpin, or at least a "pin" designed to be worn on the lapel of suit jacket. It features crossed bats, is encircled in diamonds, with a larger diamond in the middle. The base medal is gold. It was commissioned by a jeweler. It is visually stunning and elegant in appearance, an example of baseball jewelry at its finest.

OK, that clears that up. But I am still wondering why the average fan wasn't offered in inexpensive pinback button that celebrates the World Championship of the 1905 Giants. At least the "button" mystery has been solved courtesy of knowledgeable reader. Thanks to you, sir.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:23 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

This must be what your talking about:
Old 03-28-2015, 07:49 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
This must be what your talking about:
I am really not a ring or jewelry guy but that is as stunning of a pin as I think I have ever seen. Simple yet elegant. Real class.

Last edited by Leon; 03-28-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:21 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Very neat.

Similar in some respects to the 1887 gift to the Detroit Wolverines. The Dauvray Cup refers to "World's Championship". Each player received a gold pin (bottom photo) courtesy of Helen Dauvray/Ward.

- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 03-28-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for posting those Joe. Very nice.