NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-25-2015, 09:05 AM

Default Coaches Pin or Press Pin??

Anyone know the answer? All the ones I've seen say "Press" where the Braves name is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2577.jpg (26.1 KB, 120 views)
Old 03-26-2015, 07:50 AM

I know little about World Series press pins, but enough to ask some questions that might help you ID it. Do you have the other pin that you referenced, the one that has the word "Press" on the feather instead of "Braves?" A photo of it would suffice as well. I will bet it is different in more than just the Press/Braves distinction.

First, World Series press pins are issued before the WS. The winner of the series ("World Champions") can't be known before it is played. Second, even the crown is a bit ostentatious. Yes, they were "National League" champions, but by definition each team in the WS is a league champion. Third, WS press pins are very understated. They simply state the team name and usually "World Series" on it (or it might be implied by a globe design). Most are dated, but some are not. Some list the dates of past WS appearances. The Yankee press pins will typically list the number of times the team has been in the WS, like "It's our 30th." For the Milwaukee Braves in 1957 it might read "Our First" or counting their time in Boston "Our Third."

WS press pins are typically designed by high-end jewelers, like Balfour. They would not permit another party to make variations of their original die to produce souvenir pins to be sold to the public. My guess as to what you have here is the product of some vendor's attempt to sell a souvenir of the Braves 1957 championship. Pinback buttons are not expensive to make. I imagine the cost of having a die cast would be substantial. Is there any marking on the reverse as to who made it? It might have been made by the maker of the press pin, but I doubt it. It is an honor to the jeweler to be selected as the maker of a team's WS press pin. I don't think they would cheapen it by also creating a souvenir from the original die, but maybe. If it is the same company, then my guess is the players and major front office people got rings, and people holding less prominent positions got this pin.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:44 AM
Al

After talking with a good friend of mine who has collected press pins for many years he believes the ones that are printed with the braves logo on the feather are knock offs (or fakes) done much later. All the ones that have press printed on them also have the Balfour small stamping on the bottom under the threaded post. The press ones also have a more copper look to them opposed to the more steel look on the ones that have the braves on the feather. He also said he hasnt seen any of the braves feather ones with the Balfour logo on the bottom. If you can also provide a picture of the back that might help. The name Balfour should be at the bottom on the back. As for it being a coaches pin I would doubt that highly as there seems to be alot of these around. Also if Balfour did make lets say a bunch of these for coaches and even players they would have put the Balfour stamp on the back of them just like they did for the "Press" ones.That is why its important to show us a picture of the back of the pin. Also the ones with balfour say "series" on the front not "champs"

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 02-15-2016 at 06:44 AM.