NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-19-2015, 02:44 PM
J1m C0chran

Default Setting Up at a Local Card Show

I am thinking of setting up at a local show. Anyone have some tips? Should I accept checks? Is shoplifting a big issue? I don't have a display case. Should I bring my high priced cards, or only the more affordable ones? Display a price on every card? Price them so there is room for dickering, or firm pricing? Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:52 PM
Banned

In a hobby in which it's hard to reach a consensus on anything, I think almost every collector would agree that the biggest annoyance at a show is dealers who do not have prices clearly marked on cards.

Last edited by Rob D.; 08-19-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:55 PM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
In a hobby in which it's hard to reach a consensus on anything, I think almost every collector would agree that the biggest annoyance at a show is dealers who do not have prices clearly marked on cards.
Agreed. I expect most people will ant to negotiate the price of cards also.

Good luck!

Bob
Old 08-19-2015, 03:04 PM
Robert A

At a smaller show, I'd expect mostly cash from people. I'd price your cards with the expectation that most folks like to haggle a bit. Sometimes you can rent a display case from someone. I'd email the show promoter about that. I guess shoplifting is always possible, but you should have a good view from behind the table.

Bring a calculator, some paper and pen, and business cards if you have em. Also I wouldn't be afraid to bring some "fringe" items like baseball related books for example. I always seem to sell the items I don't expect to sell.

Have fun.

Rob
Old 08-19-2015, 03:29 PM
Rich Klein

Default Well

You could read my columns in Sports Collectors Daily (a valued Net 54 advertiser) about shows but here is some simple suggestions

1) EVERYTHING needs to be priced. If you have a box which is 25 cents/5 for $1 etc, that to me is priced. No one wants to ask the price on every item.

2) Make your display as people friendly as possible. The more they can see, the more they want to buy

3) It takes time to develop a selling reputation, Don't be concerned if your sales are not strong to start. Building relationships take time

4_ Cash. Pay Pal, Checks, and some vendors use CC processors such as Square which is very reasonable

5) Do expect lots of dickering on the prices.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:47 PM
Be.n C0z1n

I disagree that everything needs to be priced. As a dealer you should know your inventory. Take a couple hours the night before and figure out what you need for your graded or "case" cards. Make up a "dollar" or a bargain box(s) and your on your way. I'll say this, if you are going to have to look up a price, then it MUST be marked. Customers don't want to stand there while you flip through the guide. Who knows, you might not want to keep doing shows. If that's the case, do you really want each of your cards to have a price sticker on it?
It would also be a good idea to get there as early as possible to set up before lots of traffic / dealers start milling around. Be prepared to possibly trade with or sell to other dealers in the room. They will certainly be interested in any quality stuff you have.
Although a display case isn't essential, it makes you look professional and does guard against theft. Perhaps most important, keep a good attitude even if not selling that well. Greet the people that come by your table and ask if they would like to see anything. Also keep in mind that at a smaller show, most people are going to have a 71 hank aaron, a 76 Brett, you get the idea. Don't be afraid to bring some football, hockey, oddball stuff, etc… Sometimes that kind of stuff can catch a person's eye, especially at a smaller show.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:56 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

From what I've read, the thefts at shows often happen when you are talking to one potential buyer, and while you are distracted, the thief lifts some of the valuable cards at your table. Therefore, you might want to bring some cheap labor (e.g., your kids) to help watch your table for you, or talk to the dealers adjacent to your tables to help you watch for this.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:00 PM
Louie Michaud

I'd get something like this if you have a paypal account:

http://www.amazon.com/Paypal-Card-Re.../dp/B00A1PTD6Q

Almost everyone I know in my demographic (30 or younger) uses something like this for any sort of merch sale. Even though that's not really the age bracket buying vintage cards, its super useful imo
Old 08-19-2015, 09:24 PM
Jim H

I've recently set up a couple times at a local show. I found that a smile and striking up a conversation with a customer helps them stop at my table. I make a comment on the shirt that they are wearing, "Hey, I see you are a Dodger's fan. You collecting Drysdale, Garvey, Snider?" If they drop a name or set I can see if I have any of their needs.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:18 AM
Marty Pritchard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louieman View Post
I'd get something like this if you have a paypal account:

http://www.amazon.com/Paypal-Card-Re.../dp/B00A1PTD6Q

Almost everyone I know in my demographic (30 or younger) uses something like this for any sort of merch sale. Even though that's not really the age bracket buying vintage cards, its super useful imo
If you need it quicker, Staples and Apple stores have them also. You will need to download the PayPal app. PayPal charges me 2.75%.

I did not notice what you intend to sell. Have you been to this show before and noticed what people are buying? You have been to shows and know what you would like to see from dealers, try to match your expectations. I will be helpful if you set up your display at home using the exact same space that you are going to have at the show. This way you will know what you can take and how much room it will take up. If you then pack it properly, it will reduce your set up time and increase your selling time. I have found that my customers want everything price. If you are not using a display case, you will need to watch carefully for theft. If you are alone and leave for the restroom, a sheet is a better deterrent than asking the person next to you to watch your stuff when they are watching their own table.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:38 AM
B.ob L.amb

If you don't have access to a showcase I have seen some dealers that use a piece of clear plexi glass approx. 2'x4' to lay on top of their more valuable cards. Can be gotten at any home improvement store and will at least deter someone from trying to steal from you.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:42 AM
J1m C0chran

Great ideas, guys, which doesn't surprise me. I will be selling mostly graded 50's and T cards, with some football, 55' All-Americans, rookies and Current Colts thrown in. It will be interesting to see what people say about the T cards, I doubt the crowd will know much about them. I like the idea of doing a practice setup and using a plexiglass cover, if it looks decent. Based on your input, I think having prices showing and starting at my typical eBay levels will work. That leaves room for haggling.
The main goal is to have fun, just from the other side of the table this time!
Old 08-20-2015, 10:55 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default shows

HI Jim, there was a thread on this less than a month ago. Here is what I said in that thread:

Hi,
Here are a few tips:

1. Have everything priced and arranged before you leave home so you can get set up quickly. Have your items boxed up so they can be loaded on a cart for easy loading and unloading.

2. Arrive early and get set up right away. The busiest time for sales to other dealers is before the show starts. The best time to buy items from other dealers is also before the show starts, so arriving an hour early may pay off. Have a little extra money with you in case you find something right away that you can't live without.

3. When you price your items, be aware that no one will pay your price. Be prepared to accept offers, because everyone will try to get a lower price.

4. It will be a long day and you may not be able to get away from your table. Eat a good breakfast, take a banana and some water to eat during the day.

5. Take plenty of quarters, $1's, $5's, $10, and $20's. It is surprising how much change you will go through during the day.

6. Bring some plastic shopping bags and small boxes for your customers to use for the items they buy from you.

7. Turn off your cell phone, make eye contact with your customers, say hello, and don't eat while customers are at your table.

Good luck! Just have fun and don't worry about making money.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:47 AM
Rich Klein

Default All good suggestions

but when I run my small local show, I have to keep my cell phone on for people who may be calling. But I get what Rick is saying, nothing may turn a customer off more than seeing a dealer gabbing with a friend or even worse playing a game on the cell phone.

However, the less time spent on the phone the better.