NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 11-16-2014, 03:31 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Default How bad is the NFC South??

The Atlanta Falcons are in first place! After their win today at Carolina (they tried their damn best to give the game away), they are in first place. Wow! It is very possible that the winner of this division could have a record of 7-9. But because of winning the division, they would host a first round playoff game against a team potentially having a record of 11-5. Something seems way out of whack with that....
Old 11-16-2014, 04:44 PM
H Murphy

Didn`t the 7-9 Seahawks host and defeat the 11-5 Saints about 4 or 5 years ago ? Seem to remember that was the coming out party of "Beast mode " with Lynch running a 70 + yd score or something. But you`re right, the NFC south is B A D. On a side note, how the hell do the Rams beat Seattle and Denver in a span of 4 weeks, crazy league but fun to watch !! Go Pats
Old 11-16-2014, 04:45 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Default Don't count out Tampa Bay

They're only 2 games back. Just saying
Old 11-16-2014, 11:19 PM
Paul Stewart

You laugh, but the Bucs are my team and they are 2 games out with 6 to play. Anything can happen.....unless you are Tampa and you give false hope over so many seasons and in the end you lose more games in the last few minutes....sorry, it's been a rough 30+ years of being a Bucs fan.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Belltown Vintage

Kevin, are you loving Arthur Blank now? What a genius: spending just enough money to win the division, after carefully analyzing the other teams in the South and realizing they all had even more flaws than his team.

Saving money to spend when he needs it next year, yet still winning the Division? That is true brilliance.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:45 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Saints

I love the Saints.
Along with the Phillies in baseball.
I am a fan of pretty much the losingest teams in their respective sports( but each have had at least a surprise championship in the past 6-7 years)

I collect old baseball cards with creases, pinholes and stains.

I'm a loser

To stay on topic to the thread...The Saints will win the NFC south.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:18 AM
Rob Anderson

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
I am a fan of pretty much the losingest teams in their respective sports( but each have had at least a surprise championship in the past 6-7 years)
I am a fan of Minnesota sports teams. I am pretty sure we have a monopoly on losingest teams. Don't take that from me.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:36 AM
Belltown Vintage

As a lifelong Astros fan, I trump you both for years of being a fan of mediocrity. The only fans I feel sorry for are the Cubs fans.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2014, 11:17 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default My teams suck worse

317-400 Saints all time record
431-365 Vikings all time record

Philadelphia Phillies .471 prior to last season (even worse now) 1st team with over 10,000 losses
Houston Astros .488
Minnesota Twins (.496 as Twins)
Chicago Cubs .511 with 10k+ wins and 10 k losses

I stick with my choices as the bums of their sports.
I have been a fanatic sports fan all my life (I'm 52, so since the early 70's) and I have watched my teams lose a crap ton of games! I am not switching teams though, it's not been all bad.
Congrats on your teams who have mostly floundered as well, and your long fandom.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Belltown Vintage

That isn't true for the phillies since you have been watching them. You won in football - I have been a Cowboys fan since 1965, so plenty of great football.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:35 AM
Belltown Vintage

My parents are from Louisiana, but I have avoided any attraction to the Saints. So I have that going for me.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Curt

Quote:
The Saints will win the NFC south.
I'm a Saints fan as well. This season has been hard to watch. What was one of the toughest divisions, has now become the worst. The Saints will win the division, host Seattle and get their revenge!
Old 11-21-2014, 03:36 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis-cards View Post
I'm a Saints fan as well. This season has been hard to watch. What was one of the toughest divisions, has now become the worst. The Saints will win the division, host Seattle and get their revenge!
The problem with the NFC South is that all 4 of their defenses suck big time, including New Orleans and their overpriced Defense Coach Rob Ryan. While I do think the Saints have a slight advantage to win the division, it will be a nice, quick one and done...
Old 11-22-2014, 03:02 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
The problem with the NFC South is that all 4 of their defenses suck big time, including New Orleans and their overpriced Defense Coach Rob Ryan. While I do think the Saints have a slight advantage to win the division, it will be a nice, quick one and done...
Kevin, I was grateful when the Cowboys fired Ryan, and perplexed when the Saints hired him.

What is it that makes Rob Ryan so revered, and why is it we haven't seen anything out his last two defenses?
Old 11-22-2014, 03:03 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Kevin, I was grateful when the Cowboys fired Ryan, and perplexed when the Saints hired him.

What is it that makes Rob Ryan so revered, and why is it we haven't seen anything out of his last two defenses?
Old 11-23-2014, 03:17 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post

What is it that makes Rob Ryan so revered, and why is it we haven't seen anything out of his last two defenses?
Totally agree with you pal...I have always said, he is tremendously overrated. I think he gets a lot of kudos because of his twin brother, who I do think is a solid defensive coach, just not a head coach....
Old 11-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Belltown Vintage

By the way, I gave you a call during the Fl State game yesterday, but got vm - thought you were going to need consoling.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:22 PM
Belltown Vintage

...we won't talk about the falcons, except that they will be in first at 4-7 if the Saints lose tomorrow.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:30 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
...we won't talk about the falcons, except that they will be in first at 4-7 if the Saints lose tomorrow.

You're right, still can't believe the way they blew that game yesterday. They had the ball on Cleveland's 35 with a third down and two, 55 seconds left, and Smith calls a timeout to stop the clock...Unbelievable. You're also right about FSU. They simply can't run away with a game, I don't understand it. They better not snooze this Saturday against Fla. It's Muschamp's last game, and most people seem to think that the players really like him....
Old 11-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Belltown Vintage

Clock management in pressure situations, seems to be the Achilles heel of a lot of football coaches. Garrett made some mistakes yesterday that he got away with - in particular, not running the ball more toward the end of the game-winning drive.

In general, I like Mike Smith.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:44 PM
pariah1107

Mike Smith's clock management issues go further back than yesterdays inexplicable brain cramp...

2013: http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-su...ons-1000311373
2012: http://www.phins.com/phorum/read.php?3,114555,114942

I realize I could dig up questionable clock management topics by any coach, but Smith's are flagrantly poor decisions.

Last edited by pariah1107; 11-24-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:37 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
Mike Smith's clock management issues go further back than yesterdays inexplicable brain cramp...

2013: http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-su...ons-1000311373
2012: http://www.phins.com/phorum/read.php?3,114555,114942

I realize I could dig up questionable clock management topics by any coach, but Smith's are flagrantly poor decisions.
Ty- You are exactly right. I really like Mike Smith, he is a fantastic person. I just dont know that fantastic persons can be great NFL head coaches. Just look at Belichick and Sean Payton...What assholes!! Smith's first 5 years were almost done with smoke and mirrors. I think Matt Ryan, for the most part, is overrated. If you put some pressure on him, it's Steve Bartkowski all over again. Not even close to Brady, Manning, Rodgers...I view Smith along the lines of Rex Ryan, fantastic Co-Ordinator, but not a head coach. If I had a crystal ball, my take is he will be fired, and possibly get the head coach job at Jacksonville, where he started to begin with, and I would wish him tremendous success...Another thing that Smith struggles with (along with many other coaches) is putting the hammer down when the team is winning and dominating. Two years ago in the NFC Championship, the Falcons were absolutely destroying the 49ers 17-0. You could feel light switches going off on both sidelines. Falcons got incredibly conservative, and the 49ers switched gears. That was a game that Belichick would have never lost (especially at home). Arthur Blank genuinely wants to bring a title to Atlanta. With his finances and resources, and the Falcons moving in to the nicest stadium in existance, he should go after that coach that at least brings fans some genuine hope. I would not go the College route, I think Jon Gruden would be an outstanding candidate, just my take....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 11-24-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:02 PM
Belltown Vintage

Ty, that link was fantastic - thanks for the entertainment!

Kevin - speaking of nice-guy coaching failures, just look at Jason Garrett. I hate to hear all the awful things said about him, as he's really a nice guy. But as a coach, he's not so great. I would rather have an asshole like Bill Parcells.

I think your Falcons are about to sink to second place. I am going out to watch the second half, hoping Baltimore can pull it out.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:42 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Snoozer MNF game

Guys on this thread now can look forward to the deciding NFC South game of the year.
Falcons against Saints, in the Superdome.

The Saints are bad, but are still in the picture to make a playoff push and pull an upset.
31st ranked defenses don't win many games, but maybe...just maybe

Go Saints!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:50 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Guys on this thread now can look forward to the deciding NFC South game of the year.
Falcons against Saints, in the Superdome.

The Saints are bad, but are still in the picture to make a playoff push and pull an upset.
31st ranked defenses don't win many games, but maybe...just maybe

Go Saints!
But it's not the deciding game. If Atlanta beats New Orleans, but Carolina wins their last two - Carolina gets the South.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Aw, I see that now, Atlanta plays Carolina in the final week...
So there is a chance for all three terrible teams still...

Go Saints!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:14 PM
Belltown Vintage

I think New Orleans is still 'good'. I'm thinking the following, but really hoping for a 'Dallas @ Seattle' NFC Championship, meaning I'll be $1,000 lighter.

1. Seattle (12-4)
2. Green Bay (12-4)
3. Dallas (11-5)
4. New Orleans (8-8)
5. Arizona (12-4)
6. Detroit (11-5)
7. Philadelphia (10-6) (haha)

round 1 Dallas over Detroit, Arizona over New Orleans
round 2 Green Bay over Dallas, Seattle over Arizona
round 3 Seattle over Green Bay

Predicting the NFC seems like child's play compared to the AFC.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:30 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Scott, I know that you are a Cowboys fan, living in Seattle...and I am a Saints fan also living in Washington , but I cannot tell if you bet against Seattle and picked them anyway, or if you just felt like whomever you did bet on was going to cost you a grand

I gave up betting several years ago...but if Arizona plays New Orleans I wouldn't bet on a third string QB who joined the team this week (Lindley?) to beat the Saints.
(Or the Falcons for that matter, but maybe Carolina who I think stinks)

So if the Saints are "good", and get in...they can win a first round game reasonably enough.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Belltown Vintage

No betting - I was referring to the price of a ticket to the game, if Dallas plays in Seattle.

It would be merciful if Arizona won the game - you know what generally happens when New Orleans visits Seattle.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-16-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Belltown Vintage

Regardless, a Dallas vs Green Bay playoff game at Lambeau is as good as it gets for a viewer. Can you imagine what those tickets would scalp for?

Old 12-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Belltown Vintage

This weekend I will be in a tv-less home with my kids and their significant others and haven't seen them in a year. I am happy but already crying over the football. This could be the best NFL weekend in years.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:29 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Oh boy, who do you favor now? I have never seen the Falcon defense like this today going back to at least 3 or 4 years. What does it mean? Who knows....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 12-21-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:44 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default pressure off

Thanks to the Falcons for their mercy killing.
I guess Rob Ryan's defense wasn't as much to blame as usual, the offense gave away the game this time.

But that's what horribly bad teams do, they find a way to lose even when their blind faith fans think that they have a chance....

Go Phillies!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Belltown Vintage

Falcons looked good but I doubt they will fare any better than NO if they have to go to Seattle.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:09 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default 7 wins and a tie

7-8-1 = NFC South Champs

I didn't think Carolina was the one of the "Terrible Trio" teams that would make the playoffs, but I guess their road wins and being the team who sucked less at the end of the regular season brought them an extra game.

Anything can happen in the playoffs, but this has been a pretty fun NFL season.

It's a hard game to figure out sometimes, as I mentioned, I'm glad I am no longer betting on NFL games!!

Now it's time to root the Seattle Seahawks into the Super Bowl again...

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:05 PM
H Murphy

Boy that was one hell of a giant egg the Falcons laid at home today, O U C H !! Go Pats !!
Old 12-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Rob

Quote:

Now it's time to root the Seattle Seahawks into the Super Bowl again...
Uh......no.

I despise Cam and his Superman routine....that said, they could make some noise.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Belltown Vintage

I just want to congratulate all the forum gamblers who took my advice and used me as a negative barometer for bet-placing.

I'm picking the Packers and Seahawks in the NFC Championship, so the smart money will not be placed on both of these teams.

Go Cowboys.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:36 AM
pariah1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUM301 View Post
Boy that was one hell of a giant egg the Falcons laid at home today, O U C H !! Go Pats !!
Black Monday indeed: That 34-3 drubbing probably cost Mike Smith his job, but the Falcons needed a new direction.

As for other coaching openings: I did not think Rex deserved to get sacked because Idzik was simply not GM material. Had Rex been elevated to GM two years ago for the Jets it may have ended differently. He'll find a great job and soon.

Trestman, I didn't understand that hire two years ago, and unfortunately his lackluster teams performance will probably hinder future coaching candidates from the CFL getting NFL jobs. Rex would be a great hire to restore the Monsters of Midway defense.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:49 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
Black Monday indeed: That 34-3 drubbing probably cost Mike Smith his job, but the Falcons needed a new direction.

As for other coaching openings: I did not think Rex deserved to get sacked because Idzik was simply not GM material. Had Rex been elevated to GM two years ago for the Jets it may have ended differently. He'll find a great job and soon.

Trestman, I didn't understand that hire two years ago, and unfortunately his lackluster teams performance will probably hinder future coaching candidates from the CFL getting NFL jobs. Rex would be a great hire to restore the Monsters of Midway defense.
Ty- What simply amazes me is how in the hell Dimitroff was able to keep his job. He's the idiot that has been the most responsible for the players on the Falcons' roster. Mike Smith was simply the guy that fell on the sword....
Old 12-30-2014, 02:21 PM
Belltown Vintage

When they can slaughter N.O one week then get killed by Carolina the next, it is more bad coaching than players.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:57 PM
pariah1107

Quote:
Ty- What simply amazes me is how in the hell Dimitroff was able to keep his job. He's the idiot that has been the most responsible for the players on the Falcons' roster. Mike Smith was simply the guy that fell on the sword....
In part I agree, the Falcons have one of the best offenses in the NFC in my opinion, but could use a more consistent running game. They've been decimated by injuries to key weapons for a couple years.

The defensive side of the ball is a completely different story. When Kroy Bierman is your teams sack leader with 4.5 in a season your really not putting pressure on the opposing quarterback. Dimitroff's negligence to that side of the ball may have been reason enough for dismissal. However, usually GM's are "married" to their choices at coach, but not the case with the Falcons as Smith took over after Petrino's bizarre departure. I think Dimitroff was hired as GM in mid January 2008, and Smith was hired as a head coach only a week later.

Last edited by pariah1107; 12-30-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Belltown Vintage

Carolina is favored! A victory would bring them to Seattle. I'm holding out for either Green Bay or Dallas in the NFC championship, but if anyone is in town for a game, t.v. viewing or otherwise, send me an email - Seahawk games are best when watched in Seattle around lots of fans.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:03 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
When they can slaughter N.O one week then get killed by Carolina the next, it is more bad coaching than players.
The score was completely misleading. Carolina had 2 interceptions for touchdowns, and a fumble recovery down to Atlanta's 4 yard line. That's 21 points. Carolina is not that good, believe me, I love Arizona and 7 points. I think that is stealing....
Old 01-01-2015, 05:40 PM
Belltown Vintage

Turnovers are a huge part of the game. If your offense can't score that just magnifies the result of the turnovers;i.e-when they weren't turning it over, they still weren't scoring. That game was a stomping that the score accurately reflected in my opinion. Seeing Atlanta have a horrible game wasn't that surprising, but seeing them do it coming off the thrashing they gave New Orleans, was surprising.

That's all I was saying - huge inconsistency from week to week. To me, Atlanta's inconsistency is on Smith.

Last edited by Runscott; 01-01-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:45 PM
Belltown Vintage

I am with you on the line, but AZ and Carolina are going in different directions and it's at Carolina. Could be a great game.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:15 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
I am with you on the line, but AZ and Carolina are going in different directions and it's at Carolina. Could be a great game.
I think it will be a good game because of the Cardinal's QB situation. Again, no way in hell should Carolina give anybody 7 points, let alone a Playoff game...Just my take
Old 01-02-2015, 06:28 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I think it will be a good game because of the Cardinal's QB situation. Again, no way in hell should Carolina give anybody 7 points, let alone a Playoff game...Just my take
Kevin, ask for my honest opinion and then bet against me
Old 01-03-2015, 06:10 AM
H Murphy

I don`t know boys, Arz. plus 7 . The Cards are starting a very untested rookie QB on the road in a playoff game, tough spot. Arz can`t help the kid on the ground much either, no rushing TD`s in 7 weeks ! Don`t get me wrong, Carolina is pretty bad but their def. is def. trending upward. Arz looks tired and played SF,Det, and Seattle twice this past month. If I had to go, "holding my nose" and running with the Panthers on this one. Good Luck this week and during the whole playoffs !!
Old 01-03-2015, 03:26 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUM301 View Post
If I had to go, "holding my nose" and running with the Panthers on this one.
Very well-said! Assuming Carolina and Dallas both win, Seattle will have people heading for the exits at half-time. This must be what Seattleites are anticipating, as tickets are still well underpriced compared to the 1st round game against New Orleans last year.