NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-01-2005, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Default Any stories of anyone opening a vintage cigarette box?

Posted By: Cap

I was wondering if there were any stories around of people actually opening up vintage cigarette boxes (either through a find or paying top dollar for one) and what kind of card they found inside? Condition? If graded, what was the grade?

I just picked up a Sweet Caporal box and while I have no intent of opening it, curious if others have and their 'findings'. Thanks-

Cap

Yes, I received your letter yesterday. (About the time the door knob broke). When you asked how I was doing. Was that some kind of joke?- Bob Dylan

Old 03-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

I know of an Old Judge that was opened yielding a high grade (maybe a 92?) SGC card. I also know of a Sweet Caporal opened containing a 350 series. Also, a member of this board (maybe Jay) opened a bunch of T-205's in the early 1980's - think they were Honest Long Cuts if I remember. Finally, I have seen a Hassan opened in front of me with a gorgeous, albeit way miscut, triple folder.

I personally own a Sweet Caporal dated correctly, a Polar Bear dated correctly and an Obak that was opened yielding a 1909. I will post a scan of the Obak in a bit.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: canjond

1909 Obak

Old 03-01-2005, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Yep, I was lucky enough to participate in the opening of 50 Honest Long Cut packages that had t205s in them. I ended up buying 37 of the commons for the ungodly sum of $12 each I've also seen a few piedmont packs opened with t206s in them.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

they're really all quite lame,
I had to rearrange their faces
and give them all a different name.
Right now, I don't feel too good,
Don't send me no more letters, no,
Not unless you mail them from
Desolation Row"

end of last verse, "Desolation Row," "Highway 61 Revisited," Bob Dylan.

(to conclude the quote in the first post)

Old 03-02-2005, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill

The cards are nice, but did you smoke the tobacco? Surely 100-year-old tobacco must be better than 50 or even 20-year-old Topps gum.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Administrator

like wine that fades after a certain number of years.

Old 03-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cap

Julie,

I remember in a previous thread the mention of the classic. Dylan is my 'Godhead'.

Since this is a "Vintage Baseball Collecting" forum, I bring to you this rare photo of Bob Dylan holding a low graded Frank Chance in hopes of trading for O.J Simpson's 'lower' graded Eddie Plank. Enjoy!

Cap

I can see that your head has been twisted and fed by worthless foam from the mouth-Bob Dylan

Old 03-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Administrator

posters, and the one at eye level from the stool of the toilet said "June 12, 1994," the day of the murders. Yurg.

I can't IMAGINE popping 30-year-old bubble gum ihn my mouth! But then, I can't imagine popping new bubble gum in my mouth either! Cigarettes were bad enough--O.K, worse.

Old 03-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry

About 2 years ago an older gentleman came into my card shop and had been cleaning up his daughters barn. He moved a dresser a heard something fall behind it. He looked and discovered a number of cigarette boxes. Upon inspecting: empty, empty, couple cigarettes, then ... a fully intact box with a T205 J.J. McGraw. I had the card graded by PSA. Came out PSA 8. Great card and story.