NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Johnny S

Arod had three good playoff games and did get his ring but not sure how he could even be in the discussion, he has been more of a burden than team player.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBenderForever View Post
Arod had three good playoff games and did get his ring but not sure how he could even be in the discussion, he has been more of a burden than team player.
2 MVPs and 6 All Star selections as a Yankee. 7 straight years of 100 or more RBI. Uh... some burden.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Steve Birmingham

Alex Rodriguez always struck me as a good player with great skills. Great players make everyone around them better, and he just doesn't do that. Great personal stats but not much else. Despite the flashy numbers losing followed him everywhere, even to NY. Remember, his ball slapping interference call had a bit to do with the sox winning in 2004. (Plus the silly Arod, I rod whatever letter plus a few from the last name fad started with him maybe not his idea, but I'll blame him anyway)

Jeter on the other hand has always seemed to be one of those guys that finds a way to win. And he's always taken the hard times boston fans have given him very well. When asked about the "Nomars better" or "overrated" jeers he said he expected it and that on some level he enjoyed it because the bad players never got that sort of attention. It's tough to dislike a guy like that, even one in pinstripes.
Still not sure about "greatest Yankee" or even top 10 but certainly one of the best of his era. consistently above average even when other shortstops have been better briefly- Nomar, Tejada, Rodriguez, probably a couple others with great 2-3 year stretches. But they all faded or moved.

Steve B
Old 07-11-2011, 06:00 AM
Bill

The fan got 4 premium seats for every home game for the rest of the season, some autographed memorabilia and got to meet jeter in person!!!

I would have sold the ball at auction. No question about it.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:32 AM
GaryPassamonte

I was also at the game on Saturday. It was the single most exciting game I've been to and I'm not a Yankee fan.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:39 AM

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Browns View Post
The fan got 4 premium seats for every home game for the rest of the season,
But he has to pay tax on this. That's not going to be easy to afford.

Quote:
some autographed memorabilia
And how much did this cost the Yankees or Derek Jeter?

Quote:
got to meet jeter in person!!!
He probably could have met Jeter in person just to see if they wanted to work out a deal for the ball. Even if they did, he could just "change his mind" and sell it.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:53 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

At the end of the day, the kid walked out with more than he came in with. Can't be too greedy. I'm sure Derek will give him an undisclosed check just to quiet the local sports radio guys (WFAN).

And as for A-ROD, there is no way he was every detrimental to the team. Guy was rock solid 95% of his time as a Yankee.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 07-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Jamie

Default one more cool pic from the game

I tried to snap a pic as he was swinging.. hit the button to early.. but I got the ball halfway from the pitcher to home plate right before he crushed the homer... check it out..
Old 07-11-2011, 05:45 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Swing batter!!!!! Nice pix. I'm in second tier in right field second person in from the left edge of your picture 12 rows up (I think).

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 07-11-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:48 PM

Jamie,
That is a pretty cool shot!
JimB
Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 PM

I was talking to my friends over the weekend about what if one of us had caught the ball. Of course, it's a great gesture to just give the ball to Jeter, but I don't think I would have. A future HOFer has been very fortunate in his life. God given talent, his health, the opportunity to play on winning teams, and the ability to provide for his family. Jeter has taken full advantage of all the good fortune he's come into in his life. I think catching that ball, selling it, and being able to provide for my family would be no different. Just my two cents.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
Jamie,
That is a pretty cool shot!
JimB
Thanks Jim... at first I was pissed I missed the swing... but with so many others getting the pic of him swinging... I actually started to like the split second before pic

baseball on the way in! next stop Left-Center field
Old 07-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

from this Red Sox fan, congratulations to all!

Who went to something like 15 games in a row trying to see Yaz get #3000.
My parents put an end to that the day he finally did it, so I missed by one day.
It did take forever and then as I recall, it was a seeing eye single but after that wait, anything would do!

Sorry for the slight derail. Congrats to Jeter and his fans from another Sox fan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yaz 3000.jpg (43.8 KB, 155 views)
Old 07-11-2011, 10:35 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunder19 View Post
I tried to snap a pic as he was swinging.. hit the button to early.. but I got the ball halfway from the pitcher to home plate right before he crushed the homer... check it out..
Nice shot - it shows the stadium, and all the fans with cameras waiting to capture the moment. That's the kind of shot I like to take.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunder19 View Post
Thanks Jim... at first I was pissed I missed the swing... but with so many others getting the pic of him swinging... I actually started to like the split second before pic

baseball on the way in! next stop Left-Center field
What were you shooting with Blunder19?

my eBay auctions
Old 07-16-2011, 04:19 AM
Larry

Default My Favorite Jeter story

I was in Boston at the time of the 1999 All-Star game, and took an official ball over to the hotel where I knew the players would be packing and leaving after the game was over, I was one of several adults there to seek autographs of the stars. Joe Torre and Tony Gynn were most gracious signers (although Tony signed off to the side, rather than on the sweet spot, and then slyly glanced at me to see my reaction, which was simply one of gratitude, as it was purely a venture into a new collectible area for me). Another Minnesota Twin player whose name I cannot immediately recall also readily agreed to sign the ball, and seemed delighted to do so.

When I asked Jeter, however, his rather gruff reply went something like this: "Duh, I only sign for the kids!" And indeed he was signing only for several boys of about 12 or 13 years of age. Unfortunately, the adults seeking the autographs were the actual collectors, while the several boys for whom Jeter was signing were simply being fed baseballs by two dealers seated away from the action down by the street curb! When the "kids" balls had been signed, they returned them to the dealers and received some pictures of dead presidents for their efforts.

In short, Jeter's conduct was felt to be insulting to me on two bases: (1) his attitude was that an adult couldn't be a fan who wanted his autograph for its own sake, and therefore simply wanted it to flip it for money; and (2) even if his premise was true (and it was not), where would the harm be if he could take a second or two to enrich another person by a rather nominal amount through the mere fact of signing his name to a baseball? There's no exploitation of poor little Jeter going on in that scenario, as signing doesn't cost him a thing! Derek Jeter--not the sharpest knife in the drawer by a long shot.

And by the way, wouldn't you say that Jeter's "signature hit" is one of those fisted little turds he dumps off the handle of the bat and into right field? Would be more sanitary to have his bowel movements at home! Derek Jeter: more cheap hits than any five men, alive or dead!

Sorry if the above offends any of his fans, but Yankee guys have thick skins--they can handle the truth about their "hero."

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 07-16-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:59 AM
Paul

Default Glanville on Jeter

ESPN.com: Baseball [Print without images]

Saturday, July 9, 2011
Getting a jump on Derek Jeter
By Doug Glanville
ESPN.com

Three-thousand hits is a lot of hits by any standard. I feel pretty good about my 1,100 and by the time it is all said and done, Derek Jeter will have three times that number. At least …

I didn't play against him as much as I did some of the stars in the NL East during the '90s and early 2000s, but I saw enough to understand how much of a force he was at the plate. Sure, he had an inside-out swing, which gave him a large margin for error to making "good enough" contact. Sure, he had the cool cucumber style, which made him impervious to pressure. True, he had a number of great hitters behind him and probably in front of him over the years. But what I found to be his most amazing attribute is that he is next to impossible to defend.

You hear about the dominant forces in basketball, like Michael Jordan's first step or Dirk Nowitzki's unblockable shot. Or how Andre Agassi's return of serve was so deadly that it was like he was the one serving. But the way Jeter swings makes him practically indefensible from the idea that you cannot anticipate where he is going to hit the ball.

As a center fielder, I was the captain of the outfield and I lived on anticipation. So I had to study the opposing hitters, the patterns of my pitcher, the weather, the environment, where the catcher was setting up. Based on all of these factors and more, I could get a good sense of where the ball was going to be hit.

For example, when Gary Sheffield was up, and he was up 2-0 in the count, and I see that my pitcher, Curt Schilling, was about the throw a fastball up and in, I could practically get a running start toward left-center field, knowing that Sheffield was probably going to pull the ball.

I learned this approach from my outfield coach and legend, Jimmy Piersall. He taught us that an outfielder needs to be in constant motion, that a good jump starts from planning. On every pitch, he expected us to be leaning or even taking a full running step to where we thought the ball was going. He even used to say, "If you have to dive for a ball in the outfield, it just means you got a bad jump!"

Over time, I got pretty good at my jumps.

Then with time, the knowledge came with the skill. I learned every hitter in the big leagues down to which hitter would be most likely to hit a screaming knuckleball into the outfield (see Todd Zeile, Chad Kreuter or Vladimir Guerrero). I could even tell you about pitcher patterns, like telling you when teammate Randy Wolf was going to throw a changeup or when he was about to throw over to first base.

After a while, it became a game within the game, one that I enjoyed. (And who wouldn't enjoy something when you knew what was about to happen.) I could get under the skin of hitters by stealing hits, playing shallow and getting a running start toward the wall. In one game against Alex Cora, I was so shallow that I could have touched the second base umpire. That turned out to be total overconfidence since he burned us all night by hitting balls in the gap, but I had to push the envelope to see if he started thinking about it. Mind games were part of it too.

Then Derek Jeter walked in the box. I knew he was a great hitter, and I understood that what made him great was his ability to spray the ball all over the field. That meant I would have to cover everything, and I would have to position my other outfielders in areas that gave them the best chance to run down a ball in any direction. In other words, I had to put them in the dreaded "middle." The middle is not good. It means you cannot predict much of anything, so you place yourself in some estimated place of wish. Then you get ready to run all night.

Remember, players also have spray charts just in case the on-field experience isn't enough. These charts tell you what you need to know. There is a big blotch of ink indicating where this guy hits everything. Most players have an area that is full of activity, telling you where to position the outfield. Not Jeter. His chart was as if a 2-year-old got hold of the spray paint … and got happy with it.

Recently, ESPN research guru Mark Simon introduced me to BABIP (batting average on balls in play) -- and a light bulb went on. Jeter is second all time (.354) in batting average when he puts the ball in play (not including home runs). Defending Jeter is difficult partly because he sprays the ball around and makes it hard for defenders to cover a lot of ground and because, for some reason, when he hits the ball seemingly no one can catch it.

Derek Jeter is a master of disguise. Most hitters tip off where they are going to hit the ball. Sometimes, the tip comes from a pattern in a count or a pitch or a situation. Sometimes, it is just because he hits everything to a certain area or maybe you can see that he pulls open his shoulder when he is about to pull the ball. Jeter tips nothing. He could take any pitch on any count against any pitcher, in any situation and hit the ball … you guessed it … anywhere.

So what does that mean for an outfielder? It means that you cannot get a good jump on him. You are flat-footed, you lose a split second -- and that split second is a HUGE difference in a fly ball dropping and a fly ball being easily caught. It's HUGE enough to make him one of the toughest hitters ever to defend once he puts the ball in play.

And I am an outfielder. Imagine what he does to infielders who are a split second late. They may lose an arm.

Jeter is cool. He shoots Gatorade commercials, he dates supermodels, he has enough rings to lose circulation in his fingers, he gets 200 hits a year, he signs autographs, he gets 3,000 hits before he is 40 … and yes, he is slowing down. I even feel I should apologize to him and his fans for writing about him in the past tense.

But behind this man of mystery is the fascinating reality that he is not a power hitter yet he still dominates a game like one. This is because this guy is practically impossible to defend. You cannot anticipate anything he is going to do; all you can do is hope that he hits the ball to you.

Jeter is the living example of why getting hits in baseball is so hard to do. He does just about everything possible to take the defense out of the equation when he makes contact. And even then, he still gets a hit only 35 percent of the time. Well, 3,000 hits later, I guess that was more than good enough.

Doug Glanville, who earned a degree in systems engineering from the University of Pennsylvania, played nine major league seasons with the Cubs, Phillies and Rangers. He serves on the board of Athletes Against Drugs and on the board of the MLBPAA (MLB Players Alumni Association). His book, "The Game from Where I Stand," was released in May 2010. Click here to buy it in paperback on Amazon.com. Follow him on Twitter: @dougglanville

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 07-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Den.nis Mos.ley

I am just curious as to how Mariano Rivera would even be mentioned in the same breath as Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio and Mantle. In my opinion relief pitching and (so called) closers is Terribly Overated. Sorry if it sounds like I am venting but that is how I feel about it. Dennis.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:45 PM

Mariano Rivera is not just a relief pitcher. He is almost an automatic win the second he steps onto the mound. He has 581 career saves in the regular season with only 71 blown saves. In the postseason he is 8-1 with 42 saves and an 0.77 ERA over 94 games. We're talking about some BIG games. There is no one like him and there never will be again. Once in a lifetime player.

Last edited by packs; 07-16-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Mariano Rivera is not just a relief pitcher. He is almost an automatic win the second he steps onto the mound. He has 581 career saves in the regular season with only 71 blown saves. In the postseason he is 8-1 with 42 saves and an 0.77 ERA over 94 games. We're talking about some BIG games. There is no one like him and there never will be again. Once in a lifetime player.
+1

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206