NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Default When all the numbers collide....

Posted By: E, Daniel

...I just got this card back from SGC after swapping its tomb from PSA's see-through model, and thought I'd look a little into the mystery numbers that adorned it. What initially stood out was it had been notated numerically by typewriter, heavy dark pencil or pen (hard to tell on the 4) and in light scrolling pencil - all in a clean, non-interfering manner by a previous owners hand. The differing 'look' to each notation still intrigues me....how do you get a card into an older typewriter anyway without bending or mauling the card? And was it done before or after the trimming?

The issue (V100 Willard's Chocolates) was released in 1923, a better than average year for the NY Yankees Baseball Club. Yankee stadium opened that year with a Ruth home run on opening day, and the team went on to a 98-54 season (going an amazing 52-24 on the road), good for first place. From there the Yankees beat the Giants in the World Series 4 games to 2, the very first of its many WS titles.
Ruth's game wasn't too shabby that year either, with 41 home runs, a .393 BA and the American League MVP. I hope the understated nature in which I've written that screams 'a frickin mazing'!

So to the numbers on the card.
Of course the heavy '4' in the bottom right corner was easy, so I turned my attention to the 75 stenciled by a typewriter, and 215 written lightly along his leg.
I'm sure you all have already gotten there in the time it's taken me to write this...

Homer 215 for George Herman Ruth was belted in the 1923 season - the most likely and obvious reference to fit with the time period, and this is where I stump a little. Does the 75 refer to the 75th game that season which featured the NY Yankees playing the Chicago White Sox in Chicago, and is it in that encounter the Babe hit HR number 215? If so, I find it wondrous to imagine someone going out and buying this box of Willard's chocolates in Canada, on or very close after to the date Wednesday July 11th, 1923 of the game, pulling this superstar card from amongst its contents, and being sufficiently interested in baseball to go home and make permanent note that captured in exact time the Babe's latest exploits. If 215 really does refer to his HR total to that point, the exact date he had reached that number and no higher/lower would date stamp the time at which this card was found or at least marked thus. A true collector of the times if ever I could imagine one!!

For reference, the Babe would start the 1923 season with 197 HRs and end it with 238. I haven't been able to find a way to access stats that show break-down-by-game home run totals and thus calculate it that way, but if anyone else has a better/simpler explanation for the 75 and 215 I would love to hear it!

Daniel

Old 05-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

Babe was close to 75 inches tall and weighed about 215 early in his career.

Just a thought

Old 05-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

but I believe there were several of these cards stamped and marked with numbers. Maybe just someone's cataloguing system?

Old 05-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

What am I missing regarding the 4...what could it represent?

Steve

Old 05-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

I've seen a number of these cards, all with different numbers. Here are two that I own:

Old 05-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

Ahh bugger, you know what they say about facts and a good story .
Good thing I didn't devote more than a couple of hours exploring and sleuthing and finding that the facts superbly supported it.

Daniel

Old 05-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeremy W.

If not, have these cards been redeemed or something?

Old 05-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Steve - Ruth wore #4.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron Patton

...Gentlemen, Ruth wore 3; Gehrig 4. Good thought, though.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Wow - good call and now I feel as dumb as ever.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan U

Here's some more with numbers that I bought on ebay a few months ago:

Old 05-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

thanks for the scans guys. BTW, while Ruth of course wore #3, MLB had no uniform numbers when these cards came out anyway(not until 1929), so none of these numerals could have been intended to match up with jersey numbers in 1923.