NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-29-2015, 03:46 PM

Default New Member: kevinlenane

I've already posted several topics here but I noticed the introduction decorum and so I'll back up a bit and introduce myself.

My name is Kevin Lenane and im a tech entrepreneur, I recently sold an adtech company and have had just a bit more time to pick up an old hobby in card collecting.

I voraciously collected cards from 1986 (born in 1980) until about 1993. I paused for two reasons, one I was 13 and heading to boarding school where there real live girls to talk to and two (a reason many are familiar with) 92/93 was the year of set and subset explosion and I was unable to even keep track of all the different versions of Fleer Ultra, Stadium Club etc. and the 15 subsets and inserts in every pack. Flash forward 20 years later and I was on Ebay trying to buy some Patriots gear for my Dad after the Super Bowl and I randomly bought a pack of 1982 Donruss Baseball. As soon as I opened the pack and the smell of bubble gum and the poof wax dust hit me I was right back in it and haven't looked back

Im now building the Ted Williams Master Set (im about 2/3 of the way there with a lot of the big stuff) and more recently Bobby Doerr and Goudey Wide Pens. I also waste a lot of money on older vintage packs and have recently cracked a 1978 Topps Vending box, 1964 Topps Giants Wax Pack, 1951 Topps Red Backs and a TON of 1975 Topps Minis. Im going to my first National on Friday and Im honestly weirding my wife out with how excited I am. Anyway, this board has been super helpful in the short time ive been back in the game. Its a hobby that makes me extremely happy and Im always happy to talk shop with anyone that will listen. Anyway, thats probably enough for now, thanks everyone for your help thus far.

Side note, I IMMENSELY enjoyed the Gizmo thread and am looking forward to examining his booth and persona on Friday. I may post a video for those of you looking to put some meat on the bone.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:09 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Welcome to the boards Kevin. Good luck on your collecting goals.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:12 PM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)

Welcome Kevin, From a fellow junk era kid collector.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T206 back run: 21/38
Old 07-29-2015, 05:44 PM

Default Welcome Williams/Doerr Fan

...For your viewing pleasure : Bobby Doerr and Bobby Doerr , possibly the first post-war error card.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:57 PM

Default doerr

Very cool!
Old 07-29-2015, 07:09 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Welcome Kevin!

1982 Donruss with bubble gum?

I never actually opened a '82 Donruss, but I always thought Topps was the only company allowed to do that.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-29-2015, 09:34 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Welcome Kevin!

1982 Donruss with bubble gum?

I never actually opened a '82 Donruss, but I always thought Topps was the only company allowed to do that.
Fleer and Donruss definitely had gum in their packs in 1981, the first year they put out cards (of current players) after the 1980 court decision that broke Topps's monopoly. I remember it well, because I was 15 and collecting all three. But then Topps went back to court and got a decision saying that only they were allowed to put out baseball cards with gum, which is why Fleer and Donruss subsequently had to package their cards with stickers or puzzle pieces. I thought they had to start doing that in 1982, but it might have been a year later. Or else Kevin actually opened packs of 1981 Donruss.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:21 AM
Dave H@rford

Kevin,
Welcome!

As another Ted Williams collector, I am sure we will have many more discussions in the future.

Dave

As an additional note, Mike, "NICE" W602 Sports Exchange BB Miniature of Ted/Doerr. In MY Ted Master list of 275 cards [Playing years only] (much larger than the, IMO, inadequate PSA Master List of 152 cards), that is one of only 25 more cards I need. Any duplicates?

Last edited by Harford20; 07-30-2015 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Add note
Old 07-30-2015, 06:28 AM
Mike Dugan

I remember that EVERY 1981 Donruss pack had gum that was stuck like glue to the top card. I also remember opening some of those 17 card packs that only had two different cards in them! In one pack I got 9 Roses and 8 Schmidts. I wrote a letter to the company and about a week later they shipped me a box of gum and six boxes of cards!
Old 07-30-2015, 01:50 PM

Default Kevin..

Welcome aboard!! try on a T206

*WARNING* SUPER ADDICTIVE

peace

johnny
Old 07-30-2015, 05:02 PM

Thanks and yes I'm already hooked - I'm doing a day trip out to the national tmrw to buy a lot of vintage wax and Ted Williams. Do you think I'll be able to find any obscure stuff of Teds there? Like a Goudey premium or a Hocus Focus?
Old 08-01-2015, 02:13 AM
Tim

Default Bobby "Doeer" true rookie card, etc.

I also collect Bobby Doerr cards (#1 PSA Bobby Doerr Master Set). Have fun at the National.............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doerr1936GoudeyPremiumsR314%20%20PSA5.jpg (28.9 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Doerr1939PlayBall7PSA8.jpg (28.0 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg doerr64.jpg (32.1 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg DoerrGrove1941Double%20Play%20105-106%20PSA8.jpg (49.6 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Doerr1952berkross-3.jpg (37.8 KB, 163 views)
Old 08-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Lewis Vintage Collectibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlenane View Post
I've already posted several topics here but I noticed the introduction decorum and so I'll back up a bit and introduce myself.

My name is Kevin Lenane and im a tech entrepreneur, I recently sold an adtech company and have had just a bit more time to pick up an old hobby in card collecting.

I voraciously collected cards from 1986 (born in 1980) until about 1993. I paused for two reasons, one I was 13 and heading to boarding school where there real live girls to talk to and two (a reason many are familiar with) 92/93 was the year of set and subset explosion and I was unable to even keep track of all the different versions of Fleer Ultra, Stadium Club etc. and the 15 subsets and inserts in every pack. Flash forward 20 years later and I was on Ebay trying to buy some Patriots gear for my Dad after the Super Bowl and I randomly bought a pack of 1982 Donruss Baseball. As soon as I opened the pack and the smell of bubble gum and the poof wax dust hit me I was right back in it and haven't looked back

Im now building the Ted Williams Master Set (im about 2/3 of the way there with a lot of the big stuff) and more recently Bobby Doerr and Goudey Wide Pens. I also waste a lot of money on older vintage packs and have recently cracked a 1978 Topps Vending box, 1964 Topps Giants Wax Pack, 1951 Topps Red Backs and a TON of 1975 Topps Minis. Im going to my first National on Friday and Im honestly weirding my wife out with how excited I am. Anyway, this board has been super helpful in the short time ive been back in the game. Its a hobby that makes me extremely happy and Im always happy to talk shop with anyone that will listen. Anyway, thats probably enough for now, thanks everyone for your help thus far.

Side note, I IMMENSELY enjoyed the Gizmo thread and am looking forward to examining his booth and persona on Friday. I may post a video for those of you looking to put some meat on the bone.

Welcome Kev! Hope you are having a great time. Stop by Table 1021 and say hi.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

welcome to the board!!
Old 08-03-2015, 06:54 PM
Larry

A hearty welcome also, from another Ted Williams collector (select issues--I'm not a completionist). There are some very difficult issues out there, as I'm sure you already know, or will find out!

Best of luck,

Larry