NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Default Need to make a decision about T206's

Posted By: nbrazil

I'm thinking of selling a portion of my T206 set to pay off some loans. Still staying with the set, but cutting back to get some money in the bank.

But, I am having a tough time deciding what cards to sell. For those of you who have followed T206 prices, demand and supply over the past few years, what common back (non Big 6) low grade (PSA 1 - PSA 3) cards (say your top 5, if you need to limit your answer to a small number) would you keep solely based on the potential increase in the card's price and demand over the next, say, 2-3 years? Please be as specific as possible. So, you might say all HOF'ers. I would love to keep all of my HOF'ers, but the reality is that this is where most of money is concentrated in. So, you could instead say "the following 6 HOF'ers," or something more specific.

thanks in advance

Old 03-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...having sold over 500 of my 521 set over the past 12 months. I kept the Mathewsons and a couple of Cobbs and then a few of the toughies that I knew would be really hard to replace. The nice thing about the HOFers is that they are really easy to replace -- you can always find them. But try finding a Magee portrait in SGC 60. Or a "Slow" Joe Doyle in SGC 40. Really tough cards to find. So I held on to them, too. I also held onto my Hans Lobert, since he's pretty tough to find too. And my Detroit Germany Schaefer, SGC 50 -- another toughie.

Of course, it is always a safe bet to hold onto the Southern Leaguers. There is good value there and they are pretty scarce, all things considered. In the end, sell the easy to find commons and Hall of Famers first. And then hold on to a few favorites....

Good luck!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for my blog, interviews, articles, card galleries and more!

Old 03-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

Only 6? Tough choice..personal preferences only!
Elberfeld/Wash
Lundgren/Cubs
Cobb Green
Walter J Portrait
Lajoie Bat
Cy or Matty Portrait, flip a coin..

Old 03-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: nbrazil

thanks for the advice, guys.

Dave..Why Nap Bat and not the other two? thanks

Old 03-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

As I posted, "personal preferences only"..
Just something about the bat variation that seems so defining of the entire set..it's a keeper! To me anyway...

Old 03-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Drouillard

I don't have years of experience, but I may have something to add to this thread from the prospective of the buyer. I've added over 100 T-206s in the last year to my collection and plan to add 100 more this year. About half of them have been ungraded and the other half VG-EX to EX graded cards. The only Ts that I've sold have been doubles. As discussed in other threads, the market is soft and I've found now is a good time to be a buyer. The interesting thing is I believe ungraded cards in VG-EX condition have remained stable, while graded cards have dropped. As a buyer I don't see the sense of gambling on an ungraded card for $30.00 when I can buy a PSA 4 or an SGC 50 for $45.00 to $50.00. So as a buyer I'm concentrating on graded cards right now. I have also bought several PSA 5s for under $80.00, and 6s for around $150.00, the last few months. Before the holidays graded cards were trading for 20% more. Graded Hall-of-Famers have also dropped in value, but the prices for ungraded HOFers are still trading on eBay at about the same price as a year ago.

My suggestion would be to sell your ungraded cards first (if you have any) and hang on the the graded material as long as you can until the market improves. I'm betting that they will return to the higher levels this summer. If you have to sell graded cards now, I would work my way up the ladder selling the lowest grades first.

I don't buy Ts for their backs, but I'm sure there will be plenty of members who will share trends on which backs you should keep.

Best wishes,

Joe

Old 03-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Probably my favorite card in the set.
JimB

Old 03-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

This comment will be of no help in determing values for selling purposes but,if it was me, I would make a stack of all the cards and then look at each one individually and see if it makes me smile--for me --Bill Sweeney ( Boston) makes me smile--Hal Chase ( holding trophy) doesn't. I would keep as many of the cards as make me smile and sell those that don't first. I know this doesn't help with the economic issues but I would much rather hold on to those that bring pleasure.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

Agree with Bill you have a low grade set and the prices are not going to move much either way. So choose the ones you like to look at and hold in your hand. The ones you feel are better condition then the grade you received. etc...

Old 03-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I've sold a couple of times when I thought I needed the money and have regretted it every time. If you can find a spending cut alternative that works, you might consider that instead. If the cards relax you, they are cheap therapy.

As far as what to sell, I'd get rid of commons first, then the minor stars and lesser HOFers, and keep the big name HOFers and rarities for last.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 03-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

I think keeping the tougher cards is definitely the way to go. If you are happy with your Elberfeld or Dahlen scarce variations, I would keep 'em. They are far harder to find than HOF'ers. I'd keep the Green Cobb too if you like the look of yours.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

Some good suggestions above. I would keep Elberfeld (Washington) due to its deceptive scarcity and Young (Portrait) due to its appreciation potential.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Russo

I agree with the boxingcardman. I am generally not a seller but every time I have sold cards, or memorabilia, I have regretted it. Last time I was tempted, I decided to sell my '60 Plymouth instead. I miss the convertible but I would have missed my T3s and T206s more. I would sell the HOFERs last.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

I like the top tier HOF'ers in PSA 5 & 6. That said, a nice for the grade Mathewson white cap - keep it, keep it, keep it.

And a nice for the grade (especially centering) Cy Young bare hand - keep it.

I am not willing to pay extra for a premium back - sell them - folks may disagree with me here.

The Cobb red portrait is the most overvalued of all T206's - sell it.

just my thoughts, steve

Old 03-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

The Lajoie bat card is THE singular T206 for me. My example is also my most expensive card that I own. I would actually sell my Cubs set before I sell that card.
Others that I find rather intriguing as well:
Chase-both pink and blue portraits
Merkle-throwing
McGraw portrait w/cap