NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Default Hunt Auction is a Novelty evening

Posted By: Mike Peich

Tim Newcomb and I have just returned from the Hunt Auction and there were the usual surprises. I suspected the Novelty Cutlery postcards would be expensive, but I never envisioned Vg/Ex commons fetching $800/card, or the Cobb/Wagner (SGC 50) bringing $9487 (includes juice), the Cobb (SGC 50) $8337 (juice included), etc., etc. It was great fun to see the cards, and astonishing to watch the prices being bid. I'm thankful I bought my NCs several years ago, and my hat goes off to anyone on the Board who purchased some.

On the other hand, the Joe Jackson postcard "only" brought $7500 (no juice), and I thought that was low. There were good values to be had, particularly on T3s and T206s, but the Noveltys ruled the evening.

Cheers, Mike

Old 03-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Anyone here win any of the Zeenut lots?

If you'd like to part with any, split up, etc. I'd be interested.

Congrats. to the winners! There was some nice lots in this auction.

Robert

Old 03-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Those Zeenut lots are huge! I went after a few but only came away with one - lot #553: the lot of 183 1919 Zeenuts. 183 cards from the same set, yet there's only 144 Zeenuts from that particular year. I have no idea which players I won but I'm hoping it puts me reasonably close to completion. I'm sure I'll still be missing all the keys like Arbuckle, Crawford, Vance, etc...

Old 03-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I have 11 of the 26 card Novelty Cutlery set, & wanted to add to it tonight. However, I wasn't feeling very wealthy when I put in my absentee bids, so I didn't win anything. (I got an unexpected nice bonus Thursday night when I went to work, but I think it was too late to up my bids!) I'm not real comfortable with that auction format, & would have probably won a few if it was the usual online bidding. Congrats to the winners. It's a great set, & has been my favorite for several years now.

Please email me if you want to sell any

paulgx3@yahoo.com

Old 03-08-2008, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

I just checked the Hunt website this morning and I see $ 0.00 next to the Joe Jackson P/C. I assume that means that the item did not meet a hidden reserve and therefore did not sell???

I was also very interested in a couple of the N/C P/C's but the prices got too high for me and I came away with nothing last night.......

Old 03-08-2008, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Why is it that whenever I go after a new issue the prices seemingly fly right up? I was amazed at some of the prices. I suppose scarcity of the Novelty Cutlery PCs has all to do with it.

I picked up the Schaefer/Evers, Walsh and Chase lot. If anyone wants the Walsh let me know; Paul has dibs on the Schaefer/Evers if he wants it.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

I picked up the four card Zeenut lot with the two Yellowhorse cards. The other two cards are available (oldjudge@gmail.com). THe other two cards are Jimmy Reese, an early Jewish baseball player who was Babe Ruth's roommate with the Yankees, and Manuel Cueto, one of the earliest Cuban baseball players in the states and a member of the Cuban baseball HOF.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Neal

Just had a peak at the Novelty Postcards on Hunt site.

They are absolutely Gorgeous!! Love that Johnson and Speaker!

Old 03-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Yes, I'll take the Evers/Scahaefer. Please email me your price & payment info. Thanks, Paul

Old 03-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

"On the other hand, the Joe Jackson postcard "only" brought $7500 (no juice),..."

Mike, I think this is the one time that their estimate hurt them. When I saw this ending price, I thought: "geez, I should have reserved a phone line I would have went another bid or two."

An estimte of $20K+ made me simply flip the page of the catalog.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Cat, I agree. 20K for that card when you could have bought the Cobb, Cobb/Wagner and Matty Novelty Cutlery PCs for about the same total price? That Jackson was one ugly "card."

Old 03-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

I put in what I thought was a very strong bid and went home empty handed. Almost 10k! What would nice one be worth?

Old 03-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Richard, I was the underbidder on the Thorpe by phone. As near as I can tell (being 2,500 miles away but on the phone), here is what I think happened. From $5K on up, we were at $500 increments and going back and forth. I had the $8K bid and it was to my competition (someone on the floor maybe) for the $8,500 bid. They didn't go for it. The auctioneer went backwards to $8,250 (they bit or a book bid was in place at that level) and then to me at $8.5K and I didn't go for it. I am kicking myself like you can't believe.

I will be thinking about that $250 increment for awhile. Damn it!

Old 03-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Old 03-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I don't know exactly what it was about this card, but I really found it fascinating. It was described as "Commissioner Bowie Kuhn's first baseball card" and he supposedly treasured it because his first baseball experience was as a scoreboard attendant for Clark Griffith's Washington Senators.

I just thought it was an interesting twist on T206 and is quite in keeping with my research on T206 collectors and signed T206 cards as well, to the extent that this one has a personal touch, too, if not a signature. For just under $500 with juice I couldn't resist -- though in the back of my head I recognize that I just paid about $450 more than this card is worth without the provenance of the owner. Still, a Hall of Famers card owned by a Hall of Famer....

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for my blog, interviews, articles, card galleries and more!

Old 03-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

I had bids in on a few lots that apparently DNS - my bids were pretty close to the low pre-auction estimates, so I'm wondering what happened.

Regarding the Thorpe - I wonder what this one will bring. It's NOT mine.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

anybody here can confirm they won the m131 speaker to save me the trouble? i can't get confirmation one way or another and to complicate matter i'm not in the states currently.

q

also: big price for an AUT thorpe

Old 03-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Administrator

"also: big price for an AUT thorpe"

SGC 10 Dude!

Old 03-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Kravitz

I was blown away last night. I had written a fair price next to every Cutlery PC lot and the prices were at least 1/3 higher on most. PC's have taken off lately. It sucks if you are trying to get 'em, but great if you own 'em. I won nothing.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

If SGC wants to give a trimmed card a 10 that is their decision, it doesn't mean it is right.

It was however the best card in the auction IMO.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot York

Lot 792 was a good card/pc as well. I didn't win...

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=33&lot_num=792&lot_qual=&url_referer=search.cfm

Old 03-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

792 was the only lot I bid on today. Lost there too.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Cat-
Anytime a coupon is removed from a Zeenut, it should be authentic in my opinion too. Other issues do not get such treatment, and I'm not sure why Zeenut's get a free pass.

The Aaron PC is awesome, and sold for more than I thought too. There were plenty of PC's around than there were collectors for years. Now that many collectors have accepted PC's and found the love, they are becoming very hard to come by. The Joss Rose Co. PC (I think in Milehigh) sold for almost $6,500 and I thought at the time it was high. Now I think it may have been a fair price.

By the way, Hunt used to be a great place to buy cards because of their antiquated system... that's over!

Old 03-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Does anyone know if the pre-auction estimates what they expect with the juice or without it?

Old 03-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

I too thought I would be a serious bidder on the Aaron P/C but when the bidding began at $2,200, I was out already. I think looking at the pre-auction estimates made all of the prices seem exhorbatant. I think next time I will completely ignore the estimates and just set my own prices in mind. Same thing happened the night before with the Novelty Cutlery P/C's. Everyone is right, I think that postcards are becoming much more popular in the past few months, whether it will also be reflected in the prices of the 1920's Exhibits remains to be seen. I hope so as I alraedy have all of those I need for my set except for one. Sure am glad I picked up my 1915 Ruth RPPC in Leland's Auction last year for $2,950, seems like a bargain after the Hunt Auction numbers this weekend.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Administrator

I don't know how I missed seeing your Ruth RPPC in Lelands last year. It certainly would have cost you more if I knew about it

Old 03-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Much more!