NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-17-2019, 09:09 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I'd say the biggest reason the vast majority of sets don't have photos added is because they added that functionality within the last few years (and the album addition three years ago) and that many of these sets may be static: basically unchanged for 10 years. People are lazy. I think it's more that they don't want to waste the time scanning and uploading cards rather than they want to protect insider information.

It's actually pretty easy to be #1 in a set in order to get the "award". Just have PSA create one for you. I've had them create about 10, not for the award. Enter the first card, and you're the #1 in the set. You just have to have five cards to qualify.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:25 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I'd say the biggest reason the vast majority of sets don't have photos added is because they added that functionality within the last few years (and the album addition three years ago) and that many of these sets may be static: basically unchanged for 10 years. People are lazy. I think it's more that they don't want to waste the time scanning and uploading cards rather than they want to protect insider information.

It's actually pretty easy to be #1 in a set in order to get the "award". Just have PSA create one for you. I've had them create about 10, not for the award. Enter the first card, and you're the #1 in the set. You just have to have five cards to qualify.

I don't disagree but if your set is private you obviously can't post pics and I believe most that are private are trying to protect themselves from others knowing what they own.

I am someone who has built high grade registry sets and can speak from experience that there could be some rational to keeping them private I just choose to share mine and add pics because I enjoy it.

As far as anyone loosing sleep over what their registry count is I think it is doubtful and probably more people took it seriously to get the prizes. I zoomed mine up to 2,000 an hour or so after they launched it and that was it.

I just was indicating that one of the medals that is part of it is being number one in a set and I certainly take that seriously for the sets I focus on. Having one of my wrestling sets win an award in 2013 was a big deal to me and some may think it's stupid and others may think it's cool but if no one took it seriously the registry would have died along time ago and it is stronger than ever.

This gentlemen Charles Merkel is in many ways responsible for collectors changing their focus and actually collecting the bums in high grade. I don't know one person growing up that would have given two sh++'s about a common just because it looked perfect.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 03-17-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

Charlie along with a couple of other guys was certainly a pioneer of the registry sets and built an incredible collection. I sold him a card here and there, very classy guy especially for a plaintiff's lawyer.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:39 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Charlie along with a couple of other guys was certainly a pioneer of the registry sets and built an incredible collection. I sold him a card here and there, very classy guy especially for a plaintiff's lawyer.

It is awesome that there are some pioneers out there like him that have incredible collections that are worth a fortune. He sounds like a good dude in the articles I have read about him and his cards.

His sets are like works of art and extremely impressive.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 03-17-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:50 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Meh. It is just like the registry itself: preferred by those who like it. If you don't care about the registry the PSA awards and medals aren't meaningful to you other than as a means to a free lunch and some swag at the National. it is just another way some collectors prefer to measure themselves against others. I prefer height...I'm 6'4".

I know if I ever won an award it would not be going on my wall by my diplomas. I put more value in the plaque my daughter's little league team gave me for coaching them; that one is on the conference room wall.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-17-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:31 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I'm not a registry guy, but have a couple of questions if anyone could provide some edification with regards to Topps master sets. These questions are all connected in a roundabout way.

1. Does the "weight" of particular cards get updated/changed from time to time? Some extremely hard-to-find variations are only weighted as a 1. It makes no sense. Very low pops, which leads to...

2. Say there's a card with a very low total pop (in other words, virtually impossible to ever find), but you're lucky to have one in mid grade, is it 'worth' having it in your registry (the alternative being waiting until you can possibly find a higher grade one at some point)? Say it's a PSA 5, but your set is at 8.5 overall, wouldn't that lower your rating and actually hurt your efforts? The point here is without said card, you're looking at 8.5, but with it you're now lower in the 8 range. And if that card had a higher 'weight,' wouldn't that exponentially lower your rating? Which leads to this question...

3. Is their some sort of bonus for having a set 100% complete that would make Question #2 basically moot?

Just trying to get a general feel for the registry world.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:31 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
1. Does the "weight" of particular cards get updated/changed from time to time?

2. Say there's a card with a very low total pop (in other words, virtually impossible to ever find), but you're lucky to have one in mid grade, is it 'worth' having it in your registry (the alternative being waiting until you can possibly find a higher grade one at some point)?

3. Is their some sort of bonus for having a set 100% complete that would make Question #2 basically moot?
1) It can. Normally doesn't until someone working on the registry makes the suggestion; you can recommend a new points scheme, and if it's a popular registry, they'll put it to vote.
2) It's better to have any spot filled rather than empty for the overall Set Rating, which is how they rank order the sets.
3) You can earn up to 3 free grades a year for completing 90% of cards in a registry set.
https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/benefits
And if your set is top ranked at the end of May each year, you get an icon that your set was the best that year.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.