NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-24-2004, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Default I have American Caramel Co & Barker Bread Baseball Cards --- now what???

Posted By: Redrosee

Hi everyone---I just found this forum via a Google search & I'm hoping for information in regard to American Caramel Co. (Lancaster and York, Penna.) Baseball Cards and (colorful) Barker Bread Baseball Cards. I have 66 aforementioned cards, including a Babe Ruth card. Cards were acquired by Hubbsy many, many years ago when he bought a collection of automotive paper (our specialty). We have never tried to sell the cards as we are uncertain of their value---we can't even find a date on any of the cards but they look to be very old. Where do I start? What book would you recommend to search for values?

Thank you for your reply.

Old 09-24-2004, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Default I have American Caramel Co & Barker Bread Baseball Cards --- now what???

Posted By: dan mckee

Please post a scan of one of the barker cards, thanks, Dan.

Old 09-24-2004, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

It certainly sounds as though your accumilation of cards could be valuable, potentially very valuable. Scans of a few of them would be very helpful in determining this though. If you're able to make a few scans, feel free to email them to me at fisherboy7@hotmail.com and I will post them here for you. Take care,

Ben

Old 09-24-2004, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Redrosee

I do not have a scanner, only a digital camera...as mentioned, I just found this forum this evening so I do not know how to post an image but I have uploaded one to my server. I hope this works!

YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...............it worked!!!

Old 09-24-2004, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

is a W514 Strip Card from 1919-21:

http://www.oldcardboard.com/w/w514/w514.asp?cardsetID=815

Common cards in Very Good condition (which it looks like is about the case for this card) are worth about $10 according to this page, and that seems about right to me, though these cards can sell for a little less or more.

Can't say anything about any of your other cards, just this one you have the scan of above.

Old 09-25-2004, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Redrosee,

I'm curious as to why you are calling the type of card you pictured a Barker Bread card? Does it say that anywhere on any of the cards?

Old 09-25-2004, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elayne Hurd

Re why I'm calling the cards "Barker Bread" Cards...All of the (smaller) colored cards have printing on their backs as seen in this example:

BTW------thanks to you folks, I got NO SLEEP last night. I was reading posts until the wee hours....hahaha! I am finding this forum very exciting & informative but I swear I will NOT become a card collector. I had NO IDEA you were all so nutty about Baseball/Sports Cards........LOL, meant affectionately of course. We deal with nutty car people & I thought they were the only breed so passionate about their collections.

Old 09-25-2004, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Could you post a few scans of your caramel cards? I'm curious as to what you've got.

Old 09-25-2004, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

He's in the Hall Of Fame, so card will be worth more than $10. Also, the printing on the back of the card, added by a merchant, I've never seen before--may be worth something.

Sorry you've decided not to collect cards....sniff

Old 09-25-2004, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

The Barker Bread overprint may take away or add significantly to your strip cards. If it was just a lone merchant tht decided to do that, then when was it done, when they were sold 80+ years ago? Some people might think the card is worth less since it's got that on it, but if it could be determined this is an authentic previously uncataloged overprint on this W-series card, then the cards would be extremely rare and possibly worth something a good bit more. I would love to hear people who are more professional give their opinions.