NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 12-11-2015, 08:52 AM
shawn

Finished up the '71 set.. on to '72 and working around '57.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71 Simpson to LeBeau.jpg (80.4 KB, 376 views)
Old 12-11-2015, 09:56 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Good stuff, Shawn. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:18 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

One of my OBC trading buddies sent me two needed 1972 Topps Hi numbers today To complete my Topps set run 1951-1981, I need just 22 cards. But sixteen of them are 1972 Topps Hi numbers!
Well now I just need 20 cards to complete my Topps run, fourteen 1972 Topps Hi numbers
Larry

Old 12-12-2015, 01:17 AM
shawn

Thanks!
And good luck on your last needed Larry..I need a lot of cards for '72 :-P
Old 12-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Jeff P

Great job, Shawn and Larry. You all are making great progress on great sets!

Picked these up in the most recent RMY Auction.

Some football players who also played baseball:

Greasy Neale - Pro Football HOFer

Ernie Vick - College Football HOFer

Chuck Dressen - QB for the Decator Staleys in 1920

1912 Carlisle Team Photo with Thorpe holding ball (1930s restrike)

Classic 1935 Nagurski Photo!

1937 Alex Wojciechowicz - Pro Football HOFer

Packers star Cecil Isabell

George Blanda at the University of Kentucky

jeff
Old 12-13-2015, 11:39 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Those are some great photos
Old 12-13-2015, 08:37 PM
John

Jeff, great pick ups! Did you go after any of the Grange items particularly the one with him, Friedman, and Molenda?

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 12-13-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:14 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
Jeff, great pick ups! Did you go after any of the Grange items particularly the one with him, Friedman, and Molenda?
Went after the big three photos that were in the auction but came up short. The one with Grange, Friedman, and Molenda was one of them.

jeff
Old 12-14-2015, 11:49 AM
John

Thanks again for showing these - with so few cards for 20s and 30s NFL, the photography is really nice to see. RMY wasn't on my radar at all.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:20 PM

Jeff the photos are great but I'm baffled by the prices on these - well, not those but the prices in the photo market - they're all over the place - they seemed to be dropping with the release of so many press photos from newspaper archives, but now I think they are on the up-swing, especially for the marquee players. I'm having a hard time adjusting when there are still photos like these for $20 and $10

Old 12-14-2015, 10:02 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Picked this up at a show. Another item for the pre war collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.0 KB, 345 views)
Old 12-15-2015, 02:35 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmoran View Post
Jeff the photos are great but I'm baffled by the prices on these - well, not those but the prices in the photo market - they're all over the place - they seemed to be dropping with the release of so many press photos from newspaper archives, but now I think they are on the up-swing, especially for the marquee players. I'm having a hard time adjusting when there are still photos like these for $20 and $10
I totally agree, Mike! Lots and lots of great vintage photos out there for $10-$30 but some of the marquee players have exploded ... usually when the photo is perceived to be one that hasn't been seen before.

I usually bow out of the expensive ones and wait for another to show up. Several times I've been able to snag one at a fraction of what it went for in an earlier auction. Very volatile market on these.

jeff
Old 12-16-2015, 05:29 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
Thanks again for showing these - with so few cards for 20s and 30s NFL, the photography is really nice to see. RMY wasn't on my radar at all.
GREAT ... more football photo competition

Seriously, RMY is definitely an auction you need to check out if you're looking for vintage photos. BUT get up to speed on how to date photos as there are lots and lots of photos of photos, new photos taken from original negatives, etc. that aren't anywhere nears a valuable as the originals but are hard to distinguish. It's easy to get burned buying photos if you don't know what you're doing ... or even if you do!

jeff
Old 12-16-2015, 05:44 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
It's easy to get burned buying photos if you don't know what you're doing ... or even if you do!
jeff
I love seeing these old photos. I don't have any in my collection. If I dipped my toes in these waters, I would be one of those collectors getting burned, so no competition from me
From what I understand, many of these sports photos are coming from old school newspaper archives. The originals are scanned for the newspapers storage and possible use, and the originals are sold. I even heard of companies that offered to scan all the newspaper archives just to get ahold of these original photos?
Larry
Old 12-16-2015, 07:45 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
I love seeing these old photos. I don't have any in my collection. If I dipped my toes in these waters, I would be one of those collectors getting burned, so no competition from me
From what I understand, many of these sports photos are coming from old school newspaper archives. The originals are scanned for the newspapers storage and possible use, and the originals are sold. I even heard of companies that offered to scan all the newspaper archives just to get ahold of these original photos?
Larry
I have to confess, sometimes I'm just happy to copy some to my PC esp. if the watermark isn't too distracting They're great to look at - esp. the guys we don't see many items for.

Larry, great question! Jeff, I recall an article once about Type I, Type II, etc. that gets into what Larry is asking - we should have a thread sometime so we can discuss more....
Old 12-16-2015, 06:23 PM

There is a lot of good information on this site http://www.cycleback.com/photoguide/
Old 12-17-2015, 06:37 PM
Jason

Default 1938 Dixie Lid Sammy Baugh

My latest Baugh pickup. Now if I can only find a "Bread for Health" Baugh then I will be complete
Old 12-18-2015, 09:30 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Nice Baugh lid!
Old 12-19-2015, 07:26 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

I finished off my 1954 Bowman set with an eBay purchase, this beautiful George Blanda RC!
I also finished off my 1953 Bowman set and am awaiting the cards. I'll post when they get here
Larry

Old 12-19-2015, 09:28 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthorst75 View Post
My latest Baugh pickup. Now if I can only find a "Bread for Health" Baugh then I will be complete
OK, now I will admit I am not well versed in the pre-war era. But, I have never seen a "Dixie Lid" before. Those have got to be really tough, right? Doesn't look like something that would have a large population survive.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:19 PM
Jason

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurri17 View Post
OK, now I will admit I am not well versed in the pre-war era. But, I have never seen a "Dixie Lid" before. Those have got to be really tough, right? Doesn't look like something that would have a large population survive.
I was thinking the same thing when I was looking for Sammy Baugh cards and I came across this one. I figured who would have held onto one of these back in the day considering it's not really a "regular" card. So like anyone else would do, I checked the pop reports. There are 14 thru PSA and 2 thru SGC like mine which are both SGC 60 (5). The next toughie is Baugh's 1950 Bread for Health which was distributed in loaves of bread. Now that one should be tougher IMHO but I have found plenty of those except for the Baugh on eBay. In short there are quite a few Dixie Lids on eBay in various years, even a Nagurski, so take a gander.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:32 PM
Rob

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing when I was looking for Sammy Baugh cards and I came across this one. I figured who would have held onto one of these back in the day considering it's not really a "regular" card. So like anyone else would do, I checked the pop reports. There are 14 thru PSA and 2 thru SGC like mine which are both SGC 60 (5). The next toughie is Baugh's 1950 Bread for Health which was distributed in loaves of bread. Now that one should be tougher IMHO but I have found plenty of those except for the Baugh on eBay. In short there are quite a few Dixie Lids on eBay in various years, even a Nagurski, so take a gander.
I will definitely look around at those. They are beyond my collecting scope, but I love oddball stuff, and it amazes me that ANY of these survived. That is about as "throwaway" as it gets when it comes to things like that it would seem. Good luck with that other Baugh.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
They come up a lot more frequently than you might supposed. The Nags is much easier to get than the Baugh, though. Also, the pop reports on these aren't very accurate as there are many ungraded ones out there. For instance, I have 6 Nags and 3 Baughs and all are raw.

Besides the Baugh Bread for Health, the Safe-T-Card Baugh's (there are two) are tough as well.

jeff
Old 12-19-2015, 07:36 PM
Jason

I forgot to mention Jeff that these were only population numbers of graded cards. Obviously there are plenty more out there ungraded, but I would have no idea of that number would be. I did see the Baugh Safe-T-Cards on eBay, and they are pricey, but yet a bit unappealing for the cost. I'm sure the Bread for Health issue would be equally expensive, but least the Dixie Lid was decently affordable considering it's characteristics.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:31 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

These two cards arrived today via eBay completing my 1953 Bowman football set

Lynn Chandnois All American at Michigan and a US Navy Vet played seven years for the Steelers. This SP card " books" for $75 in NM condition.

Frank Gifford of course passed away this past August. All American at USC. During a 1960 game against the Philadelphia Eagles, he was knocked out by Chuck Bednarik on a passing play, suffering a severe head injury. He was out of action for 18 months. After his death, an autopsy on his brain revealed that he lived with Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE), a disease closely related to repeated head trauma. This SP cards "books" for $250 in NM condition.

Wow Photo-Bucket was working tonight so I could reduce the size of the scans!

Larry

Old 12-21-2015, 06:51 PM
Jason

Default 1952 Bowman Sammy Baugh small

Just picked this up from a fellow board member completing Sammy Baugh's five Bowmans.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:29 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
These two cards arrived today via eBay completing my 1953 Bowman football set

Lynn Chandnois All American at Michigan and a US Navy Vet played seven years for the Steelers. This SP card " books" for $75 in NM condition.

Frank Gifford of course passed away this past August. All American at USC. During a 1960 game against the Philadelphia Eagles, he was knocked out by Chuck Bednarik on a passing play, suffering a severe head injury. He was out of action for 18 months. After his death, an autopsy on his brain revealed that he lived with Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE), a disease closely related to repeated head trauma. This SP cards "books" for $250 in NM condition.

Wow Photo-Bucket was working tonight so I could reduce the size of the scans!

Larry

Congrats, Larry. That is quite an accomplishment!
Old 12-21-2015, 07:30 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Just picked this up from a fellow board member completing Sammy Baugh's five Bowmans.
That is a nice Slingin' Sammy!
Old 12-21-2015, 08:28 PM
pariah1107

Sweet Sammy!
Old 12-21-2015, 10:10 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

I love all 3 of those Bowmans. Man, they really ruled the 50s!
Old 12-23-2015, 03:51 PM

I don't know how hard it is to find this photo but I had not seen it before - the 1946 New York Giants - nice first generation photo

Last edited by revmoran; 12-23-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:40 PM
shawn

72 Sayers marked off the list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 72 sayers (2).jpg (72.9 KB, 296 views)
Old 12-27-2015, 05:55 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Picked these up from Rich at the Plano Show. Always nice to add to the Heisman collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.8 KB, 296 views)
Old 12-27-2015, 09:27 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Nice Sayers!
Old 12-29-2015, 09:49 AM
shawn

I fell asleep browsing cards and accidentally bid on this 59 Mcgee.. which is an upgrade for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59 Mcgee.jpg (71.1 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg 59 Mcgee Back.jpg (71.6 KB, 273 views)
Old 12-29-2015, 10:07 AM

Max McGee - what a legend!
Old 01-02-2016, 05:57 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Three hits 1952 Bowman Large arrived today via eBay purchase. #1 Norm Van Brocklin is the most "expensive" NM book $375. I like the white football on the Van Brocklin card, and I learned right here these were used in night games 1929-1956.
Larry

Old 01-02-2016, 10:03 PM
Rob

Recent additions, thanks for the look.

These two put me one away ('73) from an SGC complete run of major issues.

Love me some Bambi

The start of this set for me

Always liked Lenny and couldn't pass these two up

Last edited by Kurri17; 01-02-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:38 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Wow Rob, that's quite a group of cards! Alworth had some great poses, didn't he??
Old 01-02-2016, 10:42 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
Wow Rob, that's quite a group of cards! Alworth had some great poses, didn't he??
Thanks. Alworth did pose it up, and those two are my favorites, but even his '71 looks good to me. Love those old Chargers jerseys.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurri17 View Post
Thanks. Alworth did pose it up, and those two are my favorites, but even his '71 looks good to me. Love those old Chargers jerseys.
Though I was a Buffalo Bills fan during the AFL days, I did like the Chargers and thought they had the coolest jerseys.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:37 PM
Duane Clark

New addition to my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.2 KB, 233 views)
Old 01-04-2016, 07:38 PM
Duane Clark

Another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.0 KB, 233 views)
Old 01-04-2016, 08:06 PM
Rob

Love both of those. He was truly a professional receiver, loved watching him play.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:42 PM
shawn

Nice cards sir.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:16 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Still "chipping" away at my early Bowman sets. Incoming today a 1952 Bowman Large SP #90 Thomas Johnson books for $225 in NM condition. All American University of Michigan 1951 and only the second African American to play for the Packers. Thomas was in the NFL only one year 1952.
Larry

Old 01-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Jeff P

Tough card, Larry. Great pickup!

jeff
Old 01-08-2016, 06:52 PM
Peter

My Net54 Secret Santa was very good to me. Very, very good to me. Two great additions to my humble Chicle collection. Again, can't thank my giver enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.4 KB, 258 views)
Old 01-10-2016, 03:27 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Finally knocked another card off my 1962 Topps list #90 Fran Tarkenton RC in "collector grade" LOL. Two cards left to complete my set:
Ernie Davis RC
Mike Ditka RC
Larry

Old 01-10-2016, 07:00 AM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Finally knocked another card off my 1962 Topps list #90 Fran Tarkenton RC in "collector grade" LOL. Two cards left to complete my set:

Ernie Davis RC

Mike Ditka RC

Larry

Congrats on the Tarkenton pickup, Larry. This is the kind of cards I love to find. They were enjoyed by some kid 50+ years ago just as they should have been. Adds character to the cards IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ed