NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-01-2018, 03:32 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Default Anybody ever seen one of these?

This little thing probably cost about a Quarter when it was made. It measures only about 2" square. It's kind of cool, and I must confess to being an under-bidder (albeit way down the chain). But the final price shocked the heck out of me.... $308 + change!

Also perplexing is the fact that the eBay listing has vanished. The eBay item # was 192547066311. It ended only yesterday, but has completely disappeared from the system. First time I have ever encountered this.

Here are a few questions/thoughts....

1. Are Mays/Giants Collectors really that desperate for something they haven't seen before?

2. How rare is it? Has anyone ever seen another? If so, is $308 a typical sale price?

3. Did they make these Banks for other players besides Mays? You would have to assume so.

4. Is it really even an original Willie Mays piece? Any Bozo could possibly have inserted that tiny photo of Mays (or Aaron or Ruth, or any Hollywood TV Celeb for that matter).

And has anyone ever seen a completed auction vanish a day later... even though the auction went full-term?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mays TV.jpg (4.1 KB, 282 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 06-01-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:19 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
This little thing probably cost about a Quarter when it was made. It measures only about 2" square. It's kind of cool, and I must confess to being an under-bidder (albeit way down the chain). But the final price shocked the heck out of me.... $308 + change!

Also perplexing is the fact that the eBay listing has vanished. The eBay item # was 192547066311. It ended only yesterday, but has completely disappeared from the system. First time I have ever encountered this.

1. Are Mays/Giants Collectors really that desperate for something they haven't seen before?

2. How rare is it? Has anyone ever seen another? If so, is $308 a typical sale price?

3. Did they make these Banks for other players besides Mays? You would have to assume so.

4. Is it really even an original Willie Mays piece? Any Bozo could possibly have inserted that tiny photo of Mays (or Aaron or Ruth, or any Hollywood TV Celeb for that matter).

And has anyone ever seen a completed auction vanish a day later... even though the auction went full-term?
To the bold part, I have noticed this happening for a long time. If you have it bookmarked then you can go to it. It will show up in the completed sales but sometimes it does disappear for a day first.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Dan Bretta

It came up in a completed search for “Willie Mays Bank” for me. The seller is pretty well known for baseball memorabilia. I have not seen one of those banks before though.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Dan Bretta

Okay, strangely enough the listing only appears if you're using the phone app. On my PC it redirects me to a Babe Ruth watch by the same seller and says the listing is no longer available. Very odd, but it is ebay and they do stupid things all the time.

I can find banks with the same exact mold and also made by Dickson Inc. but they all have Jesus pictured. There are plenty on Worhtpoint and they all picture Jesus. I'm pretty sure someone exchanged it with Willie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jesustv.jpg (23.7 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg bank.jpg (73.2 KB, 258 views)
Old 06-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

1) yes. I remember a Willie Mays pencil sharpener, years back, going for almost $300.

2) never seen one before.

3) don't know.

4) could be home made.

Finally, I found it in completed auction but when I click on it, it takes me to a Babe Ruth wristwatch.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:47 PM
Rob

Jesus...Willie...what's the difference?
Old 06-01-2018, 04:48 PM
Dan Bretta

Certainly if they'd made one with Willie Mays on it there would be more out there. Someone will be disappointed if they find this info out.

Another one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jesus.jpg (74.4 KB, 254 views)

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 06-01-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:53 PM
Dan Bretta

And another.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-JES...-/322975323792
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jesus2.jpg (15.0 KB, 259 views)
Old 06-01-2018, 04:57 PM
Dan Bretta

And I know it's "the catch", but if you were making a Willie Mays bank wouldn't you want his smiling mug on the TV over a pic of his back side?
Old 06-01-2018, 05:17 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Looks like Willie picture was added after. I would not buy.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:40 AM

We agree with Jonathan. We'll say no more about that...

The "disappearing listing" thing is new on us and a phenomenon we're seeing with only this vendor's items.
You can still see the original auction page of the thing you're looking for if you click on the linked word "listing"
in the banner at the top of the "replacement" page where it says "The listing you’re looking for is no longer available.
Check out this similar item we found for you."
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 06-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Joe Jesselli

I don’t have the strength, but if I did I’d post doctored pics with brothers Matty and Felipe as the subjects....