NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Default An Old Judge question..

Posted By: David Goff

After months of contemplating, I've started collecting Pre-war cards again. Mainly, because I want my 3yr old son to get a head start. Well, that's what I tell my wife anyway. The question I have is I wanted to start purchasing some Old Judge's, but I have run across some that have a pinkish tint to them. Is this common due to age or are they meant to have this feature.

Thanks
David Goff

Old 10-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Old Judges images can come in different color, most commonly pink. It was intentional and in fact the technology to add dye during the photo process was invented in the 1880s. For whatever reason, pink dye was the easiest to do. The other colors are rare. The pink ones often have bad image quality so there is no price premium. Often they are priced less than the regular sepia. Other colors will have a premium due to rarity.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

David--What tint colors carry a premium? What are you talking about?

Old 10-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Administrator

This is what I was referring to...borrowed this off of ebay

Old 10-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

The number one thing Old Judge collectors look for is the quality of the photo. Because the pink tinted ones generally have lighter photos, they are less desirable.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

As mentioned, the main thing with the pink ones is the images often have bad contrast (faded away), so you have to be conscious of that when purchasing a pink one. This one might be somewhat light, but looks okay-- though maybe not for the high grade given.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Would the of color of this card be due to age? Again, borrowed this pic from eBay. I hope no one minds me doing this...just trying to get a feel for these cards. To me, Old Judge and Pre-war cards in general represent the true meaning of baseball. Love 'em!

Old 10-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycle

The common sepia is due to age. The images were originally closer to black and white, though had some light color to them. A couple of years ago, BMW cards pulled one or two N172 cards from unopened packs, and they had the original, non-sepia colors.

Believe it or not, the image surface of the Old Judges, Four Base Hits, Gypsy Queens, Lone Jacks, etc are covered in chicken egg whites. That's what they used to hold the photo chemicals to the paper surface and what causes the Old Judge gloss. So aging of some sort can be expected.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Administrator

While sunlight can ruin a photograph, I doubt sunlight or age was a factor. Old Judges were mass produced and the negatives were used over and over. That is my guess as to why some of them are light; they started out that way.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Administrator

David- that's interesting. Albumen comes from an egg, so that's why they are called albumen photos.

I guess there is some aging, but the negatives were also overused causing some loss of clarity.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycle

Barry, I agree with you that the Old Judges were mass produced commercial items and many may have started off light or otherwise off. They were making loads of these photo cards, and I'm sure their production standards were far from perfect. The T206s, as a more modern example, come with all sorts of production errors-- off colors, misprints, ghosts, etc. Sometimes you wonder if the T206 printing factory was next to a saloon. Though the natural aging no doubt contributes greatly to the Old Judge images.

I don't know, but it's a good guess that the pink dye prevented the pink Old Judges from developing well when they were originally made.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

David, this is the quality of the photo you should look for in Old Judge cards.

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 10-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Joe - even with the blurry scan, the quality on that OJ is incredible!

Old 10-25-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Thanks Matt, I know I have to re-scan the cards. There is some trick when they are slabbed.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 10-25-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Hey Joe,
Can I have that Hanlon?
JimB

Old 10-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Hey Joe..I just love the fake backgrounds in those OJ cards. Awesome card!! (Actually calling you bad names under my breath...only becasue I'am jealous..lol)

Old 10-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

David,

The example Joe has shown you is exceptional. If it had rounded corners it'd still be a nice card to have because of the image clarity/quality. I tend to agree with Barry, most pinks are fairly faded but there are some pinks that have a nice image quality. As long as the image is crisp and clear the card will be desireable to OJ collectors. I've seen a few cards like the example Joe has shown that has back damage and are graded SGC20 or 30. I'd take those cards all day long at the discount due to the lower grade.

IMAGE quality first - corners, edges and back damage would be secondary.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

To summarize this and past discussions, the following can be stated:

1) Old Judge cards with a tint first appeared in 1889. The amount of tinting varies from barely noticeable to heavy and is always pink although the darker tints border on purple or even red (rarely seen). I'd love to see a tint that falls outside of pink in color. Other tints were used at the time but not sure you'll find it on an OJ card.

2) The (pink) tinted cards almost always have worse photo details hence generally undesirable.

3) The first year issue Old Judge cards for 1887, 1888, & 1889 (non-tinted versions), when new, had good image quality. Those that were re-issued were also generally decent photo quality, only slightly worse than the original issue year. It wasn't until 1890 that photo quality went to crap. Many of the 1890 cards are also tinted (like some of the 1889 examples) causing further image issues.

4) All Old Judges, regardless of year, tint, etc. exhibit some photo quality degradation associated with age. Light (sun light, even indoor light) is enemy number 1. Temperature & Humidity can also take its toll. Most of the light/faint image Old Judges today spent a portion of their life, perhaps much of it, exposed to light.

The above 4 points will help you better understand why there is so much variance in OJ image quality. Some of it is due to tinting vs non-tinting, year of issue (1890 sucks), and most importantly how it has been cared for over the last 120 years (displayed in sunlight or saved in a closed scrapbook).

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski

Old 10-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

Here is an example of 3 1887 Old Judges, all of them likely started life with similar image qualities. Excessive exposure to the elements (light) has taken it's toll.

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski
Old 10-26-2007, 05:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron Conyers

Here is an example with the pink tint. The pink tint looks like a layer, notice where the pink begins and ends on the bottom corners.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I have a few on my site:

http://imageevent.com/exhibitman/rareboxingcards

The Dempsey came from a Victorian-era scrapbook so the image is really nice and the card is almost white (the scanner yellowed it a bit) even though it is technically in fair condition due to back damage from removal. I actually had a vg-ex card that I got rid of instead and kept this one because the image is so nice.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Here are a few examples of some pinks. The Healy has great image quality but it also has a huge crease. The Flint portrait is typical as far as the faint image is concerned. There is an example of a "normal" tone Werrick next to a pink toned Werrick.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Here's a Brouthers card with a great image, along with a pink card with an unusually good image.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous