NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Default Huggins and Scott Auction Decision

Posted By: Josh Wulkan

All Board Members:

I am so very sorry for the technical problems that we experienced tonight. The Verizon Business Fiber Optics System crashed about 4 minutes prior to our auction closing. We contacted Verizon Business Support, but they could not give us a definitive time of restoration.

As a group, here is what we've decided to do:

Lot #s 1-739, which were supposed to end tonight, will now end tomorrow night and once the site comes back up, we will stay in the extended bidding time. This means that all of the people who had bids in prior to 9:00pm EST on lot #s 1-739, will be allowed to bid on those items until they close tomorrow night beginning at 11:00pm EST with the 30-minute rule again. Lot #'s 740-1531 will close as they were supposed to, where all initial bids will need to be placed by 9:00pm EST tomorrow night on those.

All of the data is still perfectly intact and if you were the high bidder at the time of the crash, you are still the high bidder when the system is restored.

Again, I sincerely apologize and it was completely out of our control. We believe this to be the best way to handle this situation.

We are currently having our IT guys working on restoring the system beginning at a very early hour tomorrow.

I'm sorry that I do not have any more information at this time; please recheck our site in the morning.

Unfortunately, we are now living in the computer age and we do hope that no one feels that this was intentional or personal.

Josh Wulkan
VP of Auction Operations

Old 03-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean C

How can you expect it to stay up when there are 1500+ items ending at the same time tomorrow?

Old 03-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Wulkan

Our IT guys are telling me that this was a failure at the Verizon FIOS system and they have told me that we should be good to go for tomorrow night.

Again, believe me, we are so very sorry for this problem - probably more than anyone.

Josh

Old 03-09-2007, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Being in the IT business myself I certainly can understand how things can happen that you have absolutely no control over. Thanks for the updates...and please feel free to give us anymore updates if there are any. Good luck in the auction....and EVERYONE else...please don't bid on what I am bidding on..... best regards

Old 03-09-2007, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

Leon -

Let us know what you're bidding on so we'll know to lay off.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Josh- people often ask me why is still do telephone auctions, but it is my fear of just such a catastrophe occurring on the last night that has kept me away. Very sorry for what happened, your stress level must be off the charts!

Old 03-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Administrator

All I am bidding on is:

1988-93 Baseball Wax Case Lot of (4) Different
Lot Number 1373

so lay off would ya?

Old 03-09-2007, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

No worried Leon. If Kenneth doesn't lay off I'll sell you same exact thing for $2,500...and will even throw in free shipping and insurance for that price. (I'm feeling generous today)

Old 03-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

I actually forgot about the auction.. My bad.. I guess everything happens for a reason. I did not get an e-mail reminder about the closing yesterday though? JC

Old 03-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I put in a few bids as placeholders, and all but one were exceeded well before the final days of the auction. With the one that wasn't passed on Wednesday, I ended up winning it. I've been traveling and in Albuquerque so I missed the crash, overtime, etc and am not even sure what all went on Thursday night. I just know that I am very surprised that I won the lot for what I bid - I wouldn't have given it much chance to hold up.

Was everything business as usual Thursday night? Did the computer issues keep prices down somehow? And did anyone else think they won anything for maybe less than they thought?

And BTW, I wouldn't have wanted to be in H&S shoes for the past few days for anything. I think they did an excellent job communicating the issues and resolving them quickly. I'm not knocking that at all. Just wondering if anyone else thought what I do about low prices (at least on one lot).

Joann

Old 03-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

I too was pleasantly surprised by the price at which I won my item. I had a two tier higher bid in and didn't need it.

I reviewed a lot of the closing prices and felt many of them to be on the low side of what I would have expected.

Whether the crash had anything to do with it I cannot tell but I can say there were a lot of bargains had

Old 03-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Russ Bright

sometimes it's a good thing, losing internet. I had a minimum bid on an ebay auction that got messed up somehow and I picked up a card for less than half of what it was worth.. thanks Intarweb!

Old 03-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

I was interested in several lots, and for whatever reason, I was not able to access the site at night, although I was able to do so earlier in the day. I guess that is a good reason to bid early, but I was pretty disappointed by the way it all went down. Big loss for both H&S and consignors.
Brian

Old 03-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

One man's good fortune is another's misery: Back in the days when eBay seemingly "went down" at least once a week, I sold a 1920 World Series ticket stub from Wamby's unassisted-triple-play game for about a third of its value because eBay's servers went kaput for the last 20 minutes of the auction. Am I still a little bitter? You bet.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: rob

I won a couple lots, but was a little disturbed how it all went down. Fake e-mails, delayed responses etc, while it did not really affect me too much, it became more of a hassle than enjoyment.

My guess is consignors were hurt in this whole situation and the adverse affect could be felt in their future auctions with fewer consigments. Just my guess as to the possible fallout of this "fiasco". But with so much competition out there and consistent high prices garnered by the proven, larger houses, this could be troublesome for H&S.

That being said, they run a nice business and I would be disappointed if this were the case since they are great communicators and professional, but if they dont get great prices, that is the bottom line.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Rob,

We appreciate the concern on the matter, and want to assure everyone that as a growing business, we have endeavored to correct those errors, and have done so. Our consignors have been extremely supportive and pleased with the results, despite the technical difficulties. What we offer Rob is an auction house that caters to all budgets, large and small. Whether you have a $200,000 budget or $200 limit, we will have something for you. It is an idea ahead of its time for a major auction house; as you don't have to have a massive bank roll to win. Our success is indicative by our record marks set in this auction in all facets. For instance the Mathewson ball that sold in our auction is one the main page of Beckett's site. Our "hot dog" issues are shattering records left and right. However, we are also pleased there were some good deals to be had as well. We are fellow collectors and want both our consignors and bidders to be pleased with our services. Again, most everyone has been very supportive of us and we will continue to strive to be responsive to any concerns that arise. Thanks for the input everyone, as we take it to heart to ensure this auction is good for consignor and collector alike. I look forward to seeing you at a show in the future.
James

Old 03-11-2007, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: rob

Hi James,

I am glad to hear people were pleased with the results, I was simply trying to address a possible outcome with the problems that occured. It was not meant to be negative towards the H&S name, other than it was not as enjoyable as normal given the "chaos" that surrounded bidding and e-mails.

My last comment should indicate how I feel about H&S, and I wish you all continued successes.

Rob

Old 03-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Rob,

Thanks, and your comments were well received

Old 03-11-2007, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Although there were some technical difficulties I think the auction didn't realize that many "steals". I was bidding on about 30 lots, or so, and won 2. All of them were vintage baseball (pre-war) and none of the ones I was bidding on went too low, imo. I still get a very good feel for Huggins and Scott Auctions. I especially like it when I called to register and the owner picks up the phone, doesn't transfer me off, registers me and asks how I am doing? I have to admit that is really refreshing. There is one major auction house, that I really like, that has a way of not returning calls. It rolls down to their employees too...which is not so good....best regards

Old 03-11-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Actually, I went through the rest of my watch list and thought there weren't many, if any, steals there. Maybe one that was lower than I thought it would be.

So maybe I just got lucky, or maybe the lot I won wasn't worth quite what I had initially thought.

I really like HS auctions too, by the way. I think they run a great auction and definitely don't feel like I have to have the big dollars to participate. Like James said - something for everyone. Also good variety.

Joann

Old 03-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

I'm not sure how some of you feel this crash hurt the consignors. It failed with just 4 minutes to go with a 30-minutes added rule in effect and when it was corrected they allowed an entire day to bid again.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Bennett

I must echo James' sentiment. This auction was my first experience with Huggins and I was most pleased. I don't have a large card budget, in fact, it is rather small. However, I was able to come away with a win. My first card win in a major auction house. My high bid actually held through the difficulties into the second day. In addition, I had the privilege of speaking to Barry Sloate on the phone the other day and registering for his auction. I am impressed with both auctions and I am looking forward to trying my luck in Sloate auctions as well.

Eric

Old 03-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

if anything, it probably benefitted the consignors - giving them an extra day of exposure/bidding.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I didn't bid on anything in this auction -Hooray for staying focused!!! But I went and looked at all the lots that would have interested me the most after hearing of the problems- the memorablia lots and I don't think any of them went for what I would call a steal. Looks like H&S did very well in this auction and the consigners should be happy.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Let me tell you something about them. I have known the House of Cards/Huggins & Scott since the beginning of time. I remember bidding in their live auctions at their DC area shows in the early 1980's.

Owner Bill Huggins has been in the business since the beginning of time and one of the most honest, reputable guys around.

They have focused their time, money, & energy to the auction house business. Their auction catalogs started out small, but have been getting bigger & better with each auction.

Don't let this technical glitch stop you from bidding in their future auctions. They are on course to be the biggest & best sports memorabilia auction house on earth !!!

Alan

Old 03-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Until the crash, I think things went very smoothly and I will bid again in the future. My only disappointment was in being high bidder on a lot when the crash occurred and someone the next (extra) night out bidding me, but that could have happened the night of the crash so I understand.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Botticelli

As a consignor and buyer in their current auction I was quite pleased with how HugginsandScott handled the technical difficulties. I have known Bill Huggins and Josh Wulkan for about 10 years now, and every transaction with them has been a class act. These guys go out of their way for total customer satisfaction. An example: at last years National, Josh took the time to walk the floor and look for a specific card for me. Unfortunately he wasn't able to locate the card, but he spent almost two hours looking for it. In my opinion, they have the highest regard for complete customer service from beginning to end. One of the best.

Thanks,

Tom
E93collector

Old 03-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I have bid in past auctions and was always satisfied. From what I observe, they do a good job in all aspects-- from photos and good descriptions to shipping.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

I think the whole experience falls within the "all's well that ends well" category. Picked up a T206 Lenox HR Baker.