NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-10-2007, 04:08 AM
Administrator

Default Shipping cards.....best way to go?

Posted By: Dave

I've always used the USPS..but lately been wondering if UPS isn't the better option. Looking at the UPS site though..just looks like they are really expensive to ship. Maybe a $900 card would be one thing. But if I can ship a $50 card with the Postal Service for $1.47..first class with a delivery confirmation, what in the world would be the cheapest I could likewise send the same card UPS? Just wish thier services were more inline with USPS...I'd definately use them. Love the acutal accurate tracking they provide as opposed to the Post Office...which will often not even show the card being shipped from the seller two days after it is already at my house....opinions?

Old 03-10-2007, 04:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

when you ship usps at least the cards are deposited in your mail box. with ups they could leave on porch or in driveway or bushes,never between doors as that would require an effort by driver(s) who work the route as if in competition for a new speed record.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray

I don't trust any of them. When I bought my wife's $3000+ engagement ring, I had it shipped to my house since it was made from scratch. FedEx left it on the stoop in plain view...in the snow. No signature. They didn't even knock on the door (I was home READING with everything off so I would've heard 'em!).

Old 03-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe

Hey, its government, But USPS seems best, UPS used to be the best in the 80's and 90's though.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 03-11-2007, 03:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: mark

I send it USPS Express mail on items over $700. They even deliver on sunday. For example: I am sending a package worth $1,700 to someone on the east coast today. It will cost about $25 to send insured for Express delivery but they will get it by Noon on sunday!!!

I am happy, customer is happy.

UPS--rarely use them, cost way too much for small item.

Fedex---I have a sister-in-law who works for them (driver), thus i never would use them.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I'm still a big supporter of registered mail, though it is a bit impractical for packages valued under $500. If you need to get $25K worth of insurance, it's still a great bargain and 100% guaranteed. It can be a little slow but that's a small price to pay.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

The only drawback for USPS registered insured is having to tape every seal on the package with brown paper postal tape, so no seal is left uncovered, otherwise they won't ship it. Small town postal clerks don't mind taping them for you, but in larger towns and cities, they get pissed off. So, I usually try to take care of that myself.
I recently shipped an item worth about $35,000 and got the full $25K worth of insurance. Talk about costly shipping!

Old 03-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

FedEx left a package at my door that included a number of cards including a PSA 7 E93 Cobb, a 33 Goudey Ruth #53, and several T206 HoFs. It was on the porch for about seven hours before my wife got home from work. FedEx routinely did this sort of thing at my previous address as well. I would never use them to ship anything valuable. Although it can be slow, USPS Registered is probably the safest in imho. I know that several big auction houses use them, but I think FedEx is a disaster waiting to happen. The UPS guy in our neighborhood is great.
JimB

Old 03-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Jim's point is well-taken. I use Fed Ex simply because I have an account and can ship easily from my office; however, when I track the package to ensure delivery I've noticed that they simply leave the package at the door with the notation in the tracking system of "signature on file." Unless a recipient specifically tells Fed Ex to get a signature, their default delivery is to drop it at the door. It's a miracle more stuff isn't stolen.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Here's my 2-pence....for what ever it is worth......

Since the late 1970's I have ZERO DEFECTS mailing and receiving cards via 1st Class, Insured, US Mail.
That is an unbelievable record and I am talking about 1000's of pieces of mail......perhaps, I have been
very LUCKY.

And perhaps, LUCK isn't the reason. I think it has more to do with the following practices that I adhere
to....and I highly recommend:

(1) Rent a PO Box

(2) In a small Branch Post Office (avoid the big central Post Offices)

(3) Packages with $500 or more value send via REGISTERED mail

(4) Insist that when receiving hi-value packages, that they are sent REGISTERED

(5) If sender uses UPS, FEDEX, etc. inform them that they cannot send to your PO Box (this is a NO-NO)

Now, if I were to tell you all the screw-ups UPS has made sending packages to me....I would fill up pages
on the Net54 screen....so, I wont bore you with the negative.

TED Z