NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 06-10-2018, 06:32 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Roster Move Question:

Please forgive me if I've asked this before...

MLB.com states that players on a team's 40-man roster have three minor league options, but it doesn't mention the number of such options involving players not on the 40-man roster.

Is there a limit to how many times one such player can be optioned?

This caught my attention when three non-40 pitchers: Max Fried, Lucas Sims & Matt Wisler were optioned three, four and four times respectively in a five week span this season.

Thanks for any info.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-11-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post

MLB.com states that players on a team's 40-man roster have three minor league options, but it doesn't mention the number of such options involving players not on the 40-man roster.

This caught my attention when three non-40 pitchers: Max Fried, Lucas Sims & Matt Wisler were optioned three, four and four times respectively in a five week span this season.

Thanks for any info.

Anyone?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-12-2018, 02:34 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post

Thanks for any info.

Hi Raymond,

I'll try to clarify this for you with my interpretation of MLB rule 11(C). If anybody reads this differently, please feel free to jump in.

A minor league player does not have a limited number of options, per se-their parent Major League team may move them between the 40-man roster, and one of their minor league affiliates, as many times as they want. However, once a player is added to the Major League team's 40-man roster, a three year window starts closing. Essentially, the Major League team must determine what they are going to do with the player while this window is open. If they don't, they may lose the rights to the player.

If, at any point during the three years, a player spends 20 or more days in the minors, one of those years are used up, accelerating the closure of the three year window (it is possible to add a fourth year to the window; that is detailed in the link I've provided below). If this happens, the team has only two years left to decide what they're going to do.

If the three year window runs out, the Major League team can either keep the player on their 40-man MLB eligible roster, add them to the 25-man active MLB roster, or try to send them back down to the minor leagues. If the MLB club wishes to send the "out of options" player back to the minors, that player must first clear waivers. Other Major League teams can then claim the player. If no other team claims the player, the player goes back down.

The pitchers you referenced are somewhere within their respective three year windows. My interpretation is that the Major League club can send them down, and call them back up, as many times as they want until that window closes.

See options

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:57 AM
Brad

Default An "option" is a year

Raymond - I'm never in this section, but this caught my eye for some reason and I'll share some of my knowledge on this topic.

Bill's technical recap is correct, but to put it in a nutshell, once a player is called up from the minors (having his contract "purchased" or "selected"), his clock starts as far as his service time and his option status.

It's a common misperception that a guy can only be optioned and recalled three times. An option lasts for an entire season. A player can be called up (recalled) and sent down (optioned) as often as a team wishes during any given season (as long as it doesn't violate the "10-day rule", DL status, etc).

So your examples on the Braves players demonstrate that a guy can come up and down over and over during a season as long as they haven't done it beyond three seasons.

I won't bore you with DFA, outrighting, etc., but once a player is beyond those three years, the club has to go through a different route to send a player out and still keep him in the organization.

Regards,
Brad
Old 06-12-2018, 12:05 PM

Thanks Guys...even if I forget the details again, I can 'search' on this thread and find it...hopefully.

Even with my relative digital connectivity, I find the need to have hard-copies or pseudo-hard-copies available.