NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Default The generosity of these two collectors is astounding

Posted By: Bob

I am totally speechless as lightning struck twice today. Two fellow collectors whom I have bid with and against and shared card stories with over the years both floored me with acts of kindness. I do not know if either would want their names revealed but I will say that both are board members here and have always been considered a couple of the "good guys" through the years. First, one of the members who we shall call "Bruce" read my post on the BST board in which I was offering to buy or trade for red background E98s and he offered me an E98 Mullin at no charge. That in itself was an extremely nice gesture. No sooner had I gladly accepted and thanked him then the Fed Ex guy came with a package. This collector, whom we shall call "Alan", had written me and told me he was sending me something but didn't mention it was a card. What a card! It is the unique orange background Devlin E94 plus it is Lionel Carter's old card. The back is perfect, no creases or visible markings and why it only got a 30 is beyond me. But who cares, it is a one of a kind card I will never sell.
The whole point of this long rambling post is that I know in my heart the backbone of the hobby and what will always be the backbone, is the collector who truly loves the cards and the hobby and tries to help out his fellow collector, whether it be with information or a card or a great deal or just a smile and a handshake at the convention when we do get to meet.
My wife said she could tell that I was really stunned by all this kindness on the part of a couple of fellow collectors whose only motivation was kindness and friendship.
Thanks guys, again, for your acts of kindness and thank you to all my collecting friends, especially on this board, who make life a little easier and a little nicer and a little less troubling in these times.
tbob

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Old 05-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Wow! That is great. This story comes at the perfect time - right when my frustration level with certain aspect of the hobby were especially getting to me and making me want to give it all a rest.
Thanks for sharing the story.
JimB

Old 05-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim

That's a great story!

I don't know you tbob, but obviously you're one of the "good guys" to incite this type of kindness.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Bob - great to hear! Thanks for sharing these positive stories.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd C

Bob,

Great act of kindness. A big KUDO to the Nameless people who sent the cards.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Thanks for the great story Tbob.....I agree with Jim too...it would be nice to see a little more friendliness and kindness......

Old 05-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

great story and a couple nice guys...pass the kindness on will ya...

Old 05-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikePugeda

Hey guys, I could use some friends. Anyone interested let me know and I'll e-mail my shipping address.

But seriously, good for you Bob, and the gesture shown by the donators is what the hobby should be all about.

Mike

Old 05-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

There are some nice folks out there.

I've dabbled a bit with the giving, and it is fun. I've benefited from the receiving, and it changes the way I look at my collection, I see the card and think of the kindness of others. Makes the collection a team effort.

Thanks again to those who've thought of me with a certain card or item.

Frank.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: AndyH

Bob,

I sent that card to you for you to look at, I was expecting to get it back though.

Seriously though, what a wonderful thing to have happen. Even I would like to thank the two collector's for these acts of kindness. It makes me feel good just knowing that they are a part of a hobby that I love. Thanks guys (or gals) whoever you are.

p.s. if it wasn't obvious, I didn't send Bob anything.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 05-22-2008, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for sharing that story.

It is great to hear that things like this still happen in our hobby from time to time. Especially, as another poster mentioned, when there are so many other negative things in the hobby to dwell on.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Thanks for sharing that story. It gives me another good reason to want to coordinate a meet-up (different day/place than the Net54 dinner) at the National to meet fellow collectors.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lou

I'm new to these boards and have only been on the CU boards for about 6 months but these types of stories always more than make up for all the other bad stuff that is talked about.For every 100 bad experiences you read about,it only takes 1 good deed to restore the faith that all in all most people are good at heart!

Lou

Old 05-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: shane leonard

Tbob-
What a great story of kindness. I love hearing things like this and I am sure you are blessed as well. I know we barely know each other, but can you pass some of those 1968 Topps 3Ds over when you get a chance?

Great things happen to great people like yourself.

Shane

Old 05-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

great to hear good stories like this.

I would also add my similar thanks as well, as I have received unsolicited gifts on occasion relating to my cousins, and I have tried to reach out and reciprocate with items that are of interest to the donor when I can, but the kindness is unexpected, very appreciated, and generates alot of goodwill towards this Board and the hobby in general.

I will not name them in the interests of thier privacy, but Dave and Rich know who I am talking about.

uh..., oh! - shoot!

Old 05-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rawn Hill

I too have been overwelmed with the generousity of fellow board members. Thanks again Dan.

Rawn

Old 05-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hagar Henderson

That's a great act of kindness. I had a similar act of kindness come my way one time. It wasn't on a sports collectibles forum but this guy worked for IBM and apparently they had some type of advertising campaign with the NFL and they had hired former Minn. Vikings lineman John Randle to autograph some items. Anyway, the guy knew I was a Vikings fan and he Fedexed a picture of the field at the Metrodome in a folder that had John Randle's autograph next to it along with the IBM logo. That restored my faith in humanity, LOL. But seriously, it's good to see people still enjoying this as a hobby.