NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default what do you think I should do about receiving this item in the mail?

Here's a first. I try to get my name out into the market place that I buy championship rings. Today I received a package that was mailed to my office and sighed-for by my staff (signature conformation).

the package said "invoice enclosed". when I opened the padded envelope, there was a ring inside and a note on stationary from a coin and gold buying company asking what I would pay for this ring. I was shocked to receive this as I had never done business with them before or even spoke to them. I am sure they found me on the internet and learned I buy rings.

The ring is practically worthless. It is made of a common base metal and contains no diamonds or other stones. This is the type of ring a fantasy league would purchase to award to the winner of the year. I bet the ring new cost around $20.00 and this person probably paid $5 or less for the ring. I have no interest in this ring as I collect major college and professional championship rings.

I called the company and spoke to the receptionist who told me the staff was not in. I told her to make sure they send me $5.00 so I can send the ring back with signature conformation.

Here is my questions for the group as I really don't know what to do:

Did a coin and gold buying service try to take advantage of me knowing the ring is worth nothing? I am sure they would not send the ring if it was made of solid gold. Couldn't they have called me before sending this item? Now I have to take time, go to the post office during the holiday season, stand in line and send this back with signature confirmation when I never requested this item in the first place.

I would like to not be confrontational incase they ever do get hold of a ring that I would want for my collection (this is unlikely but has happened in the past).

Although I asked for $5.00, will that be enough to send it back with signature confirmation? There was less than $3.00 in postage affixed to the package they sent me.

So what would the net54 readers do?
Old 12-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Kevin O'Gara

just send it regular mail.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:33 PM

Mail it back, signature required. So you are out $5. For $5 you learned something about this business you did not know before. For an experienced hobbyist as yourself, that is cheap tuition for an informative lesson. Next time don't sign for anything unless you are expecting a package. If the shipping charges were $50, I'd give a different reply.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:36 PM
jim quinlisk

If you think it's worth investing a few dollars to maybe get some business from that company in the future, use online postage, send it back in a bubble mailer with delivery or signature confirmation and give it to your mail carrier when they deliver your mail.

USPS carriers scan anything with prepaid postage now as accepted so it's into the electronic scan system. You don't have to take it to the office if you have a carrier.

If you don't think it's worth investing a few dollars, use prepaid postage and put $.44 of postage on it. It will go back to them postage due and they'll have to pay to pick it up. Again your carrier can pick it up.

I wouldn't spend the money - chances are they already have an outlet for the good stuff and they were just fishing.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

you dont have to pay for or return anything back you didnt ask for.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/i...itedFraud.aspx
Old 12-19-2011, 05:30 PM
John

Would this work?
Collect On Delivery (COD)
Old 12-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Bruce Esser

Signing for the package only indicates that you received it.

You have no obligation to pay for any product you did not order. IMHO you received an unsolicited product and you have no responsibility to return it. I would contact the company and ask them how/when they will pick it up. If they persist I would turn them over to the US Postal Inspector. This is a well known scam. Companies send things to people with an invoice hoping that a certain percentage will just pay instead of putting up a fight.

http://www.nebaseballhistory.com/
Old 12-19-2011, 06:47 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I think at this point, since you asked them to send $5 so you can send it back, that the ball is in their court. Just leave it be. If they send the $5, then send it back. If not, then don't waste your time or money. If they call you, just tell them that they can just pick it up at your office, or send you the $5 for delivery.. Don't go out of pocket, or out of your way for these clowns.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Bruce & Travrosty are right on this one. I own a business and we have had companies we've never done business with send us toner on several occasions. It has not happened in a while, but as I recall our attorneys told us to keep the toner or throw it away and not pay. I think this is a pretty common scam. I guess I should put out the disclaimer that I'm not an attorney or USPS expert -
Old 12-19-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
I think at this point, since you asked them to send $5 so you can send it back, that the ball is in their court. Just leave it be. If they send the $5, then send it back. If not, then don't waste your time or money. If they call you, just tell them that they can just pick it up at your office, or send you the $5 for delivery.. Don't go out of pocket, or out of your way for these clowns.
+1 - I was about to post the same exact statement. Actually I wouldn't even send it back. They could accuse you of sending them a fake after sending you an original or some such horse hockey Carolina cow pie pigeon pellets.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post
Bruce & Travrosty are right on this one. I own a business and we have had companies we've never done business with send us toner on several occasions. It has not happened in a while, but as I recall our attorneys told us to keep the toner or throw it away and not pay. I think this is a pretty common scam. I guess I should put out the disclaimer that I'm not an attorney or USPS expert -
Yep. Between toner and ink cartridges, fake invoices for yellow pages advertising, postage meters, in 15 years I've accumulated my share of bogus invoices.

I'd stick the ring on a shelf or in a drawer, wait a couple months and then if you don't hear anything give it to some kid to play with.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:54 PM

You will sometimes get a bogus bill for non-existant service or product in the hopes you don't pay attention and pay.

Last edited by drc; 12-19-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:55 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaiko View Post
+1 - I was about to post the same exact statement. Actually I wouldn't even send it back. They could accuse you of sending them a fake after sending you an original or some such horse hockey Carolina cow pie pigeon pellets.
Didn't even think of the possibility of that scam.. I'd probably just keep it, and put an end to the whole mess. But I'm always the type to at least attempt to do the right thing.. F*** mailing it back then. They can either pick it up in person, or go F themselves..
Old 12-19-2011, 09:04 PM

I don't think you're required to do anything. Put it in a drawer and if they send the $5 mail it back. If they don't contact you, it's fair to assume they know it's worth little.

If it was gold and jewels, a coin and gold shop would know.

Now one possibility is they got this trinket in an estate group lot, it cost them nothing with the other gold and silver items in the lot, they knew it wasn't precious metals or stones but genuinely wondered if it might be one of those trinket rings that has value in the baseball hobby. They may have no clue about baseball collectibles. Thus they sent it to you wondering if per chance it may have some collectible value. If i turns out to be worth zilch, it's no big deal to them.

Last edited by drc; 12-19-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:08 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

thanks everyone, I really appreciate the great ideas.

I guess I will wait to see if they send $5.00. If they do, they can have it back and I will take my chances that they claim the ring was not the ring they sent me. They are 1200 miles away so I don't think they are looking for trouble or will pick up the ring in person.

I hope everyone on the board has a wonderful Holiday and a healthy and happy new year. I also hope that if you have sports-collecting goals in 2012, that you have a successful and fulfilling year.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:13 AM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 02:24 PM.